PDA

View Full Version : FWIW: BMW Wheel Cleaner Gel = SONAX Full Effect (almost)

wertyu78
10-24-2012, 07:06 PM
I was at my local dealership waiting on my car to get an alignment. Browsing around the showroom, I noticed that the BMW Wheel Cleaner Gel looked strangely familiar to the SONAX full effect bottle. I bought a bottle for $7.10(w/ CCA discount). I compared the ingredients and they were identical! So... does it work as well? YES. I compared the two on some nasty ///M parallels on our E38, they cleaned in the same manner. The only difference is the BMW variant doesn't spray on green. It sprays clear.

johnrando
10-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Interesting, thanks for posting.

alexandre
10-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Sonax is made in Germany so they're probably the manufacturer... Or BMW used the same formula. Sonax is like $15 a bottle so choosing the BMW stuff would be a pretty significant savings!

wertyu78
10-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Indeed. The BMW variant also shows "Made in Germany". It's a nice way to save some coin.
Sonax is made in Germany so they're probably the manufacturer... Or BMW used the same formula. Sonax is like $15 a bottle so choosing the BMW stuff would be a pretty significant savings!

jayjay_dee
10-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Do you have a picture of this BMW Wheel Cleaner gel?

wertyu78
10-25-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm at work currently. Here is a picture I found online. http://www.cotswoldstore.com/pub/files/BMW%20CAR%20CARE%20PRODUCTS/.thumbnails/1234269863_Genuine%20BMW%20wheel%20cleaner%20gel_1 __w450_h400.jpg
Do you have a picture of this BMW Wheel Cleaner gel?

jayjay_dee
10-25-2012, 12:30 PM
thanks... ill definitely check it out, JMK BMW here I come...

Washburn
10-26-2012, 05:33 AM
Very nice find...If it works to the same effect, that's a LOT of savings over time...

328ioc
10-26-2012, 12:42 PM
I might have to hit my dealer this week and try a bottle.

Crestwood1001
10-26-2012, 12:46 PM
It's the exact same stuff, used to use it at work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derbo
10-26-2012, 03:35 PM
it just doesn't turn purple right?

toddness
11-18-2012, 06:50 PM
I bought a bottle at the dealer - 7.10 w/discount out here. Does not spray on green, does not turn purple. I tried it on two sets of wheels, an old set of e30 14" basketweaves that were REALLY dirty, and the BBS i have that were just getting dirty. Did nothing for the basketweaves, in my opinion. The BBS definitely did not just rinse clean. Soapy water and microfiber towel really did most of the cleanup. In hindsight, I wish I had one done one of the BBS wheels with just the soapy water to see if there was a noticeable real difference.

BCS_ZHP
11-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Was in the dealer Saturday, mine is doing 25% off accessories for the month of Nov, they consider this an accessory. So just under $8 price came down to under $6, based on posts here I bought a case. IT'S NOT THE SAME!!! X5 wheels were filthy and the BMW gel cleaner didn't cut through it, resorted to Purple Power to clean these wheels. Gary (GSen80) was over today and we tried a test on his wheels which were fairly clean except brake dusted, BMW cleaner was weak and required hand and towel action whereas Sonax was spray, wait and rinse. It is definitely different, with Sonax appearing to be more concentrated.

toddness
11-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Was in the dealer Saturday, mine is doing 25% off accessories for the month of Nov, they consider this an accessory. So just under $8 price came down to under $6, based on posts here I bought a case. IT'S NOT THE SAME!!! X5 wheels were filthy and the BMW gel cleaner didn't cut through it, resorted to Purple Power to clean these wheels. Gary (GSen80) was over today and we tried a test on his wheels which were fairly clean except brake dusted, BMW cleaner was weak and required hand and towel action whereas Sonax was spray, wait and rinse. It is definitely different, with Sonax appearing to be more concentrated.

I think this is what I was thinking when I made my post. I have yet to try Sonax, but figured I could experiment for $8.00. Honestly, I wonder what the BMW cleaner actually did.

BCS_ZHP
11-18-2012, 07:12 PM
I'll give it another try on some wheels that weren't totally neglected. If it doesn't fare better on the second try then I'm going to return the rest of this case.

DetailersDomain
12-10-2012, 09:27 AM
if it not green and doesn't turn purple how could it be the same as Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner?

Can Sonax be making a wheel cleaner for BMW I'm going to say more than likely. Does Sonax have 5-6 different wheel cleaners, yes they do so it could be one of the formulas that is bottled up for BMW.

Sonax USA has confirmed that it is not Sonax Full Effect in those bottles.

derbo
12-10-2012, 11:29 AM
lol phew, i bought two 5L jugs of sonax from DD lol.

M0nk3y
12-10-2012, 11:45 AM
if it not green and doesn't turn purple how could it be the same as Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner?

Can Sonax be making a wheel cleaner for BMW I'm going to say more than likely. Does Sonax have 5-6 different wheel cleaners, yes they do so it could be one of the formulas that is bottled up for BMW.

Absolutely this.

If it doesn't bark like a dog, smell like a dog, eat like a dog, and act like a dog, or look like a dog....how can you call it a dog?

az3579
12-11-2012, 03:39 PM

I really hope it's damn close!

danewilson77
12-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Absolutely this.

If it doesn't smell like a dog, smell like shit, make everything smell like shit, make 3 acres of forest smell like shit and act like it's going to smell like shit....then it isn't Sonax

Fixed.

M0nk3y
12-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Fixed.

Lol. I just lost it

danewilson77
12-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Lol. I just lost it

Good. That was the purpose :)

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

BRGcoopahS
12-15-2012, 08:33 AM
A little sad this isn't the "heavy duty" sonax. But at least it is some sort of sonax. Hell, for around 7 bucks you can't go wrong. I'm going to get this and give it a try.

wertyu78
12-17-2012, 08:11 AM
forgive me mafia for I have sinned, I was incorrect.

az3579
12-17-2012, 08:53 AM
I tried the BMW Wheel Cleaner yesterday and am
Happy to report that it did just a good of a job as my Sonax cleaner did.

Note: I always agitate the wheel with wheel woolies while the cleaner is on there.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

BRGcoopahS
12-17-2012, 07:54 PM
I tried the BMW wheel cleaner the other day and am happy to report that it is a mediocre product. It left a lot of brake dust on the wheels and really only picked at the surface. I'm going to try again tomorrow.