PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Booster V2

WOLFN8TR
11-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Found this on eBay. Sprint Booster Version II with the Mode button. There isn't a model number listed but it looks like the one for a Manual. Get it before its gone! It's at $100 and shipping is $5.70.

Sprint Booster V2 on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/170945383220?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649)

jayjay_dee
11-20-2012, 07:27 PM
and it wont work for automatic? i want my cheap SB, lol..

thanks for the link... let me know if you find one for automatic... thanks again..

cakM3
11-20-2012, 08:05 PM
jayjay,

I PM'd the guy selling this and he told me it was for an auto. Just so you know. Here's his response:
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ScreenShot2012-11-20at110419PM.png

Have at it my friend!!! :thumbsup

~Charlie

WOLFN8TR
11-20-2012, 09:36 PM
and it wont work for automatic? i want my cheap SB, lol..

thanks for the link... let me know if you find one for automatic... thanks again..

Read this...

Funnily enough, they are cross-suitable. The Auto version simply is less sensitive than the manual version as there is no clutch control element to help you keep it under control.
However, the manufacture recommends fitting an auto SB to a manual car for any driver who finds the manual SB on a manual car a bit too crazy.
I have done the opposite and fitted a manual SB to my auto. I am used to SB's on my BMW's so I have no issue with controlling it. Alot of people have done the same with BMW's and Mercs from whai i have seen on other forums.
I have never tried an auto SB, but from what the manufacturers themselves claim,(or at least what I read a few years ago on their website) the auto version just gives less of an increase in sensitivity than the manual version.I guess this may translate to a slower reaction, or maybe not. What I do know is that the SB is quite a simple device, and so it is very hard to imagine it being "clever" enough to do anything other than alter the response time of the throttle.

It doesn't stop the box from changing at its set point, but as you know, our autos change later in the rev range the harder you are accelerating. So if you keep a light foot you will shift early and if you press hard you will change later. The SB doesn't change this (it can't) but as you are more likely to be under harder acceleration for less pedal travel with the SB, you will notice your shifts do come in later. I have no problem though - when I don't want to drive fast I simply don't push the pedal as much as did without the SB and it shifts as normal, just with a quicker initial response.
In short, I absolutely love it. The car feels like a beast when I floor it and like normal when being light footed.

Sprint Booster- Is it the right one? (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?8216-QUICK-HELP-did-I-get-the-WRONG-(or-fake)-sprint-booster)

danewilson77
11-21-2012, 05:02 AM
Interesting....

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

jayjay_dee
11-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Charlie and Gary, thanks for the info...

WOLFN8TR
11-21-2012, 10:57 AM
No Prob...

I paid $175 for my SB and that's half price. Hopefully someone snags this sucker and gets a good deal.

Alobi
11-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Gary, just read through the link you posted. Today was the first time I've heard of a Sprint Booster (where have I been all these years?) but needless to say it's now on my ZHP wishlist! :drool

jayjay_dee
11-21-2012, 12:12 PM
No Prob...

I paid $175 for my SB and that's half price. Hopefully someone snags this sucker and gets a good deal.

I already placed my bid...

cakM3
11-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Good Luck jayjay!!!

Are you planning to do the "sport button" mod?

jayjay_dee
11-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Good Luck jayjay!!!

Are you planning to do the "sport button" mod?

It would be nice if i can do that mod, would look neat, but its not high on my priority list since it means i have to buy the button panel, plus do the wiring thing which im afraid is out of my skill set.

Crickett
11-21-2012, 01:23 PM
It would be nice if i can do that mod, would look neat, but its not high on my priority list since it means i have to buy the button panel, plus do the wiring thing which im afraid is out of my skill set.

I'm watching a couple of those button panels on eBay for ~$30; if you pick one up & send it my way I'd be happy to do the wiring for you!

WOLFN8TR
11-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Gary, just read through the link you posted. Today was the first time I've heard of a Sprint Booster (where have I been all these years?) but needless to say it's now on my ZHP wishlist! :drool

I never heard of it either until I bought my ZHP. I've had it on for about a month and Love it!

I already placed my bid...

Sweet, Good Luck!

I'm watching a couple of those button panels on eBay for ~$30; if you pick one up & send it my way I'd be happy to do the wiring for you!

Thats awesome man. Which one do you need to buy, the one with the "Sport" button? Everyone I've seen is $70 and up.
If you end up doing this lets get together, I would like to check it out.

jayjay_dee
11-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Crickett, now you are tickling my mind, hahaha...

wait, do you have ebay links for those button panels? i dont have heated seats, just 3 lonely buttons, lol...

Crickett
11-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Thats awesome man. Which one do you need to buy, the one with the "Sport" button? Everyone I've seen is $70 and up.
If you end up doing this lets get together, I would like to check it out.

Crickett, now you are tickling my mind, hahaha...

wait, do you have ebay links for those button panels? i dont have heated seats, just 3 lonely buttons, lol...

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/jvm_architect/DSCN9417.jpg

I can't get on eBay here at work, but I'll shoot you those links when I can. The panels I'm watching have DSC, the speaker (H/K) button, RTM (flat tire monitor reset, can be enabled via coding), & sport button. I've been wanting to enable the flat tire monitor for a while, so these panels would be perfect!

Alobi
11-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Can RTM be enabled on any ZHP? My panel has DSC, speaker, and two heated seats but if I get SB I would want to do the Sport button mod. So would a panel like this work in my case?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-OEM-DSC-TRACTION-HEATED-SPORT-CONTROL-PANEL-BUTTON-FRICTION-HEAT-SEAT-/110825364437?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A330i&hash=item19cdb4dbd5&vxp=mtr

cakM3
11-21-2012, 02:37 PM
From my understanding all ZHPs that did not have the RTM button can have this enabled through software as Crickett posted.

Alobi
11-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Thanks Charlie. Of course I find this post (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?7679-SprintBooster-button-gt-gt-M3-SPORT-Button-mod&p=200444#post200444) right after I asked :eeps

cakM3
11-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I was surprised to learn that all I needed to do was get the button control panel w/ sport button and I too can reactivate this feature in my ZHP. I have all the required modules installed so this should only be a matter of time when BP is set up to do this again.....:facepalm

WOLFN8TR
11-21-2012, 07:33 PM
That's the panel I need, but $150! Wow...

Crickett
11-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Here're a couple I'm watching (non-heated seats):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300699989361?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180905054507?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

jayjay_dee
11-21-2012, 08:30 PM
I checked again and my zhp has only two buttons, DSC and speaker button.
If i buy a panel with 4 buttons (with RTM and Sport button), should it work with my car?

Crickett
11-21-2012, 10:51 PM
I checked again and my zhp has only two buttons, DSC and speaker button.
If i buy a panel with 4 buttons (with RTM and Sport button), should it work with my car?

That depends on what you intend to do with it; I'd assume that if you just did a direct swap that your DSC & H/K buttons would function as usual & that the RTM & Sport wouldn't do anything. Until, that is, you get RTM enabled & mod the SB to the Sport button. Then you've got four fully functional buttons! :thumbup

wsmeyer
11-21-2012, 11:44 PM
You have to be careful buying a replacement assembly. The buttons all use the same circuit board and the only difference is whether they have the indicator LED on them or not and the image on the front.

Somewhere in the car, there is a control module for the assembly that translates the push of the buttons into the iBus commands. Using JRando's as an example; it would map:

Button_1 >> Driver_Seat_Heat
Button_7 >> Passenger_Seat_Heat

This means that a replacement doesn't have to have the same buttons as your original - because you can simply exchange them, but it must have the holes in the same positions as your originals, plus one extra for the SPORT button.

I did not investigate where the control module is, I just know that it is not in the button assembly. I also know that it's not something that can be re-programmed with NCSExpert and it quite possibly cannot be re-programmed at all.

William.

cakM3
11-30-2012, 06:49 AM
You have to be careful buying a replacement assembly. The buttons all use the same circuit board and the only difference is whether they have the indicator LED on them or not and the image on the front.
The Mk60 control module found on all ZHPs do not have programming enabled to use the Sport button. The M3 with Mk60 (2003 and newer) have this programmed to use the Sport Button.

Terra put out earlier this year that the Mk60's used on the ZHP are different than the MK60's used in the ///M. What will need to be coded into the ZHP's Mk60 and instument cluster is $251 for TPMS (RPA). The VO also has to have this value coded in.

This means that a replacement doesn't have to have the same buttons as your original - because you can simply exchange them, but it must have the holes in the same positions as your originals, plus one extra for the SPORT button.
Agreed...:thumbsup

I did not investigate where the control module is, I just know that it is not in the button assembly. I also know that it's not something that can be re-programmed with NCSExpert and it quite possibly cannot be re-programmed at all.

Not sure where the Mk60 is located myself but I do know that you can program the module to add RPA (TPMS) to work.....All you need to do is add $251 to your Vehicle Order and recode your DSC (Mk60) and KMB modules.

Here is the reference to do this from Bimmerforums: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499451 (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499451)

jayjay_dee
11-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Well Charlie, you lost me at hello... lol...

I will probably call you before pulling the trigger on the panel im looking at... hahaha...

johnrando
11-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Yes, honestly I didn't put that much thinking into mine, guess I got lucky. The M3 Vert panel really matched my zhp vert panel, heated seats and all, so I just bought it hoping it would work.

cakM3
11-30-2012, 10:36 AM
John,

I always research into doing any mods...in my case along with the sport button mod, I can activate my TPMS (RPA) since my ZHP didn't come with that button originally. I learned that all ZHPs whether they have the TPMS button or not, have the capability to have RPA activated. :)

Now that I have the full button panel for my ZHP, I feel it is better to have all of the buttons functional...

johnrando
11-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Oh cool. Mine already had TPMS and so did the M3 button. Much better to do the research though, lol.

wsmeyer
11-30-2012, 10:57 AM
The Mk60 control module found on all ZHPs do not have programming enabled to use the Sport button. The M3 with Mk60 (2003 and newer) have this programmed to use the Sport Button.

Terra put out earlier this year that the Mk60's used on the ZHP are different than the MK60's used in the ///M. What will need to be coded into the ZHP's Mk60 and instument cluster is $251 for TPMS (RPA). The VO also has to have this value coded in.

Not sure where the Mk60 is located myself but I do know that you can program the module to add RPA (TPMS) to work.....All you need to do is add $251 to your Vehicle Order and recode your DSC (Mk60) and KMB modules.

Here is the reference to do this from Bimmerforums: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499451 (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499451)

I read through the thread linked and it ended with the modification NOT working. Not sure if they figured it out in another thread or possibly they didn't realize that if all the ZHP's have this capability in the control module from the factory then you would need the option turned ON via programming and a TPMS button in position 5.

William.

wsmeyer
11-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Yes, honestly I didn't put that much thinking into mine, guess I got lucky. The M3 Vert panel really matched my zhp vert panel, heated seats and all, so I just bought it hoping it would work.

Convertibles with cold weather package only have one empty slot so it wasn't much of a problem with yours. If you compare the before and after pics though you'll notice that I moved the TPMS button over to position 5 so it would still work.

William.

johnrando
11-30-2012, 12:01 PM
:thumbsup

cakM3
11-30-2012, 04:38 PM
I read through the thread linked and it ended with the modification NOT working. Not sure if they figured it out in another thread or possibly they didn't realize that if all the ZHP's have this capability in the control module from the factory then you would need the option turned ON via programming and a TPMS button in position 5.

William.

William,

So if I get this right you're saying that I need to swap the sport button (already in position 5) and TPMS button (already in position 4) around?

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ScreenShot2012-11-22at122401PM.png

Crickett
11-30-2012, 04:51 PM
FWIW, every picture I could find in a quick Google search shows the TPMS button in position 4 . . .

wsmeyer
11-30-2012, 05:21 PM
FWIW, every picture I could find in a quick Google search shows the TPMS button in position 4 . . .

Thanks for the input. Now that you've mentioned it, I've messed around with three of these but they were all from convertibles; 2x ZHP's and one M3.

Maybe we should get more pictures of the switch's on cars with various options and see if they are consistent.

Also, the three I opened had traces going to all 7 button positions, but were from late production cars. It would probably be a good idea to confirm this is the case on others before assuming they are all like that.

William.

wsmeyer
11-30-2012, 05:22 PM
William,

So if I get this right you're saying that I need to swap the sport button (already in position 5) and TPMS button (already in position 4) around?

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ScreenShot2012-11-22at122401PM.png

Is that the new switch assembly or the old one?

Has anyone seen one with both the speaker button and TPMS?

William.

cakM3
11-30-2012, 05:26 PM
William, this is the one I have.

WOLFN8TR
11-30-2012, 05:31 PM
There is one for sale on eBay for $150

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110825364437?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

cakM3
11-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Gary.....you are a bad influence... :p

a little high in price though since I got mine for $50...

WOLFN8TR
11-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Gary.....you are a bad influence... :p

a little high in price though since I got mine for $50...

Ya that's a bit high for my budget. I need to find a better deal like you got.

johnrando
11-30-2012, 08:47 PM
I got mine on e46f.c, there's a guy on there constantly parting out M3s.

cakM3
12-01-2012, 05:25 AM
I got mine on e46f.c, there's a guy on there constantly parting out M3s.

If this guy is from Connecticut then I know him ;)

WOLFN8TR
12-01-2012, 06:48 PM
I just missed one from E46 that sold a few days ago for $50 shipped, Dam!

johnrando
12-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Dang! More will come.

cakM3
12-02-2012, 08:20 AM
John,

Amazing just how much interest in this mod has peaked after seeing what you have done to yours :thumbsup

johnrando
12-02-2012, 08:21 AM
It is amazing, isn't it? Kinda cool. :thumbsup

cakM3
12-02-2012, 08:24 AM
It is amazing, isn't it? Kinda cool. :thumbsup

John, after seeing your sprint booster/sport button mod... I knew I had to have this done to mine...the hardest part would be the wait for my sprint booster to arrive. Unfortunately, it will arrive while I'm away on travel for work. At least my package will be waiting for me on my kitchen counter as I will have a friend watch my place/check mail while I'm away :)

Right now, assuming all goes according to my plans.... I will be looking to do my sprint booster/sport button mod over this upcoming weekend....:thumbsup

See what you started John????? ;)

johnrando
12-02-2012, 09:48 AM
lol. Sorry Charlie. (pun not intended but I just revived the old tuna commercial).

cakM3
12-02-2012, 11:22 AM
I just missed one from E46 that sold a few days ago for $50 shipped, Dam!

Gary, you might have a great opportunity here! Pm'd :thumbsup