PDA

View Full Version : Inspection II recommendations near Seattle?

BavarianZHP
11-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Hello all!

I'm new to the forum, but have been drooling over the ownership of a ZHP for over a year now. I still remember first setting eyes on the ZHP. Perfection! Like love at first sight. I've always sought the ownership of a BMW since the 6th grade (first it was ALL about the E39 5-series), but didn't realize ZHP's existed until recently. As I've grown, I've gravitated to the smaller but practical saloons and IMO the ZHP is my dream sedan to own.

Yes, yes. I've internet stalked some of you... in a good way... Well, I finally got the 330i yesterday (till death do we part)!!!! It's my very first BMW :wub and since I plan on owning her for years to come, I would like to perform an inspection II (65k miles). Any recommendations near Seattle, WA? I'm looking at Strictly BMW in Bellevue atm, but they quoted me at about $1100 with spark plugs and oil filter. I realize it's worth it and I'm more than willing to bite the bullet, but wanted your vast input/reviews first.

Soooo here are my options, I would just like a quick summary of what to expect in each:

1) Inspection II at BMW dealership (avg cost? worth it? recs?)
2) Inspection II at indy shop (avg cost?)
3) Inspection II performed by yours truly (avg cost?)

I realize option (3) is the best out there... But keep in mind I'm a BMW virgin and am not completely comfortable with DIYs (not yet anyways), but I definitely plan on getting to know her more... intimately soon. Baby steps first. Paying a mechanic to do it for me is the most realistic option. Are there places where they allow you to videotape or be on the floor as they perform the inspection? I like to think I learn rather quickly (especially when it comes to engineering related material) and it would really help me out. I doubt this is possible due to liability? If there's a place like that I would strongly prefer it and would be willing to pay a little extra! I've already scoured YouTube and found some inspection II's, but video is just not the same.

Thanks, I'm happy to be here and appreciate the invite. May we continue to hold our ZHPs dear; and pray that BMW produces something similar soon (The F30 is great, just a tad too big!).

johnrando
11-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Congrats on the car, GL with finding a shop. You might also try the PacNW regional section too. I don't know the prices, but it's rarely worth it price wise to do those things at the dealer. Indy or DIY.

Crickett
11-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Congrats on joining the Family!!

I'd highly recommend DIYing it; you already plan to get yourself intimately acquainted with your ZHP, a thorough inspection would be a great start! Even better would be to find another, more experienced E46 owner nearby to run through the inspection with you & point things out as you go. (I'll gladly volunteer if you wanna visit Vegas!)

If you do plan to DIY, here's the official service checklist (its technically for a 2004, but I don't think they changed anything for '05 or '06): http://tcholo.net:8080/docs/E46serviceChecklist.pdf

alexandre
11-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Definitely +1 on DIY. I've had mine for 6 months, didn't know squat about cars when I bought it, and now the only thing I wouldn't trust myself to do on jack stands is a clutch change. With that $1100 you could do a ton of preventative maintenance that would allow you to run more or less maintenance-free for a good while.

Spark plugs $50
Air, cabin filters $15 x2
Oil + filter $55-60

I'd probably do cooling system... Yes your car's at 65k and people usually don't do it until 70-75 but I wouldn't trust my engine's life with 7-9 year old flimsy plastic tanks and pumps no matter the mileage. $300. You probably need front control arm bushings. $100. Valve cover gasket possibly... $30.

Check Dane's thread here, it pretty much has everything you need to know for the next 100k: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1830

If you want to be sure your best call would be to get a thorough inspection... Not necessarily the II, just something like a PPI. Did you get one prior to buying the car ? It'd cost you like $200 and then you have a bullet list of stuff that you can tackle with the endless amount of guides, videos, pictures, and people willing to help each other. Where to do it ? I'm a big proponent of getting inspections at the dealer since they will want to find every tiny problem in anticipation of them selling you a huge service after (when I did mine in October, they suggested $2600 of work... did everything myself for a hair under $400 in parts), but then I know a lot of people have different opinions on this.

Crickett
11-29-2012, 11:20 PM
^ That's actually a great idea! Have the dealership — who (supposedly) know BMWs best — do a thorough inspection (note the lowercase "i") & take their findings as a DIY to-do list: best of both worlds! :thumbsup

BavarianZHP
11-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks guys, you've convinced me. I'll at least try to DIY it first, we'll see what happens. Thanks for the material - that'll help.

danewilson77
11-30-2012, 02:55 AM
Way to go. Welcome.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Crickett
11-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys, you've convinced me. I'll at least try to DIY it first, we'll see what happens. Thanks for the material - that'll help.

:roundel w00t! 'atta boy! Don't hesitate to search / ask around here if you get stuck or need tips / help!! :grouphug

BavarianZHP
11-30-2012, 04:47 PM
The biggest lesson that I've learned in life is to trust the 'experts.' This can pertain to life in general. When I was a teenage, I even reluctantly accepted the fact that my parents (and most elders) knew better than me; since they went through my life experiences at one point. It was hard to swallow, but this mentality has kept me out of trouble and has propelled me into a good position in life. I see too many people who refuse to admit any weaknesses and ignore sound advice. People need to seriously listen and digest it.

For instance, I really want to be lazy and let the mechanics sort it out for this inspection, but I also know from the forum consensus that I WILL be better off doing it myself - so I'll give it the best shot I have! There's youtube videos for most of the maintenance for the E46. (Thanks internet!).

and Thank you all. Have a great weekend.