PDA

View Full Version : Awfulness inside...

Pages : [1] 2

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 03:47 AM
Sitting on the side of the road. Car spun on me getting on highway (wet roads, shitbox rear tires) and I couldn't keep it. On the back spin, drivers rear hit the curb, hopped it. Drivers door and curtain airbags deployed, drivers rear wheel is at about a +35 degree angle. Drivers rear door gaps are tweaked too. Hoping its not a total. Awaiting tow truck for 75 mile ride home. Ugh... So upset with myself.

And yes I'm sober. I am ok too. Just mad/sad.

Sent from my hybrid iPhone 4/4S... :shifty

kayger12
12-02-2012, 04:40 AM
Damn. Sorry to hear.

Glad you're okay.

Sent from my kick-A Galaxy S3

cakM3
12-02-2012, 04:49 AM
damn Jon!!!! I hope everything will be okay!!! Glad to hear you're not hurt though...

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 04:53 AM
Tow truck finally here. Just got out and looked again... Yep, I think she's done for.

cakM3
12-02-2012, 04:59 AM
Dammit!!! This is something I really don't want to hear....not from your car Jon! Man.....I wish there was something that could be done....you have such an awesome car.....I'm so sorry to hear this....:(

danewilson77
12-02-2012, 05:05 AM
:facepalm of sadness.

Glad you weren't injured buddy. I hope you had total loss protection (TLP).

If you did have TLP > The hunt begins!

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

328ioc
12-02-2012, 05:09 AM
:-( shit. I want to give you time at home and I will call you this afternoon/evening ok bro?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GMATT
12-02-2012, 05:23 AM
Jon.....glad you are ok. Cars can be replaced. All the best to you.

Sent from my fancy telephone!

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 05:48 AM
It sickens me to look at it, but here it is...

zhpnsnv
12-02-2012, 06:06 AM
Oh man I'm sorry.

toddness
12-02-2012, 06:08 AM
Oh man, this sux. Glad nobody was hurt.

328ioc
12-02-2012, 06:09 AM
Jon, that actually looks better that I was expecting based on your earlier description. I was expecting much more body damage. That looks like mostly suspension.

Hope it can be salvaged.

BimmerWill
12-02-2012, 06:23 AM
From the pic that looks salvageable to me...either way im glad you came out unharmed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Hornung418
12-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Not what I was expecting. Glad you're okay. Airbags deploying should be the most expensive part of the repairs. The rest looks manageable, but you never truly know until you get down to it. Best of luck with the repairs.

Ryans323i
12-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Dang buddy. Sorry to hear. Glad you're ok.

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Heh, you guys obviously can't see the crinkle in the body just behind the rear door....

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Double post

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Double post.

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Finally back home. This angle should show the body damage better.

cakM3
12-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Jon,

Hopefully the frame is intact and not bent....if so then I would "assume" this can be repaired.....here's to keeping my fingers crossed your car will be repaired back to 100%!!!

328ioc
12-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Finally back home. This angle should show the body damage better.

Still doesn't look as bad as I personally expected but I do see it now.

Hornung418
12-02-2012, 07:05 AM
If the door's not bent and if it can be opened without major struggle, I think it's safe to assume you will drive the car again. Hope everything works out.

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the words guys. I know this probably sounds silly, but I'm actually physically sick over this. Knowing the car is irreplaceable really bugs me.

328ioc
12-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the words guys. I know this probably sounds silly, but I'm actually physically sick over this. Knowing the car is irreplaceable really bugs me.

I would feel exactly the same way.

cakM3
12-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Jon,

I know how you feel....I would be in the same condition if that happened to either of my cars.....

danewilson77
12-02-2012, 08:10 AM

Took me about a month to physically/mentally recover after my last BMW was totaled. Buying the ZHP though help me recover after that.

johnrando
12-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Oh no Jon! My heart sank when I heard this. I really hope it's not totaled. I'd be sick if this happened to my car. Keep us posted.

static667
12-02-2012, 08:23 AM
It hurts me to hear this, man. I was depressed for a while after me first E36 was totalled. It doesn't look too terrible, though. It may be savable.

Sent via Tapatalk 2 on my hacked Fascinate.

cakM3
12-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Oh no Jon! My heart sank when I heard this. I really hope it's not totaled. I'd be sick if this happened to my car. Keep us posted.

Well you were sick when the power line fell on your car not too long ago.... I remember that. Fortunately for you everything seemed to work out :thumbsup

Hopefully everything will work out for Jon as well...I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him!

nike001
12-02-2012, 08:47 AM
This sucks man. Normally I'd be saddened a bit, but yanno.. it happens.

But it's an Alpine White AND NATURAL BROWN interior. I'm almost depressed.

If they total it, be prepared to plea with your insurance company to let you take off stuff you recently added like your exhaust, lights, etc etc. I wonder how much it would be to ship an interior...? :shifty

M0nk3y
12-02-2012, 09:02 AM
The wheel isn't something major. It may look like it but trust me, that's an easy fix.

Appears you just bent your wishbone.

However, what speed were you taking the turn? Did you have DSC off?

Yes, bald tires probably had something to do with it but a car going on an on-ramp isn't unstable at all.

johnrando
12-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Actually, take that stuff off asap before the insurance company takes a look.

NorCalZman
12-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Oh Jon... :-( so sorry to hear see this. I saw how excited you were when you were looking over my car. Ugh this sucks. Hopefully it can be fixed. Don't despair just yet. Couple questions though:

Did the stability control kick in at all??? Did it just happen too quick for it to be able to help or what? I have been wondering just how well our DSC works
And what do you mean bout the tires? You went cheap on them or they still needed to be replaced.

Seeing something like this makes me really want these crappy Kumhos the previous owner put on to wear out (even more than before)so I can put on some proper tires like michelins.

jack.chris328
12-02-2012, 10:05 AM
NOOOOOOOO...... Awe man, so sorry to hear about this. I am glad to hear that you are o.k. Heartbreaking to look at. It looks so minor from the pictures. But I know it is more involved. It is fixable but you would need to find the right body shop with a good alignment guy.

Jon D
12-02-2012, 10:49 AM
That sucks. Glad your ok. In the end car is replaceable if need be

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks again guys... So, I haven't done a lot of looking, but basically, the whole back corner is caved in a little just like the wheel. You can see the gap for the rear door in the one pic. The door itself is fine, but the frame/body around it is curled in a little, hence the crumple in the wheel arch. I didn't get it on stands yet, but I will do that... The exhaust feels under some strain, so I think its a little bent under there where the muffler hangers mount.

What really kills me is that the two brand new tires have been in my garage for a week, just waiting for the wheels to arrive... Which they do tomorrow...

So more on the incident... To be honest, and I feel like SUCH an idiot for having to admit this, but DSC was off. Background story for everyone... My two good tires (purchased a few months back) are on the rear 135 rims. Well, just for kicks, and knowing that my wheels are on the way and I have the other two new tires, I swapped the 135s, front to back and vice versa... I wanted to see what the 8.5" would look like up front. In addition, I then had the two garbage tires on the back (on there when I bought the car)... So, 225s out back, worn Michelin Pilot Sports.

Anyway, I've been turning off the DSC now and then to step the back out and have a little fun on occasion, mostly when I have lots of wiggle room and obviously no other cars. Nothing high speed, just a little push to get more of a feel for the car...

Well, earlier last night I had turned the DSC off, and I had just left it off, forgotten about it... Was heading home, in the turn lane to get on the highway. Roads were a bit damp, and when I got on the ramp, I accelerated (briskly but by no means WOT) and the car stepped out, insanely fast... I'm thinking some oil or something on the road assisted in the spin... It happened so fast.. I corrected, but the car snapped hard and spun me the other way. I thought I was good as I had it sliding pretty much straight backwards, but when I hit the brakes, the car didn't feel like it slowed at all (more reason for me to think something on the road) and hit the curb... Jumped it, as you can see, folding the wheel under...

Devlin and I have been looking at ZHPs online, not much to choose from, making me even more upset... The recommended body shop (by my neighbor/local BMW dealer sales manager) is closed today, and can't get a freakin claims adjuster on the phone either.

The only thing that has piqued my interest, that Interlagos Blue '06 M3 ZCP is still on Craigslist down here... Geezus though, $34k...

webster
12-02-2012, 11:19 AM
ugh. so sorry to hear about this. you drive the car all the way down the whole freakin east coast just fine, and something like this happens. best of luck with either repairs or the replacement....you're gonna have a helluva time finding AW/NB combo again though...ugh

AWs are going down like crazy lately...

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 11:28 AM
You know what's really freaking ironic? I found this on the local Craigslist... Its a steptronic, but if I had that, then the wife could drive it... Hmm.. If it is totaled, I'll cry a lot, and then probably buy this.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/ctd/3405342698.html

NorCalZman
12-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Both the M3 and that ZHP look cherry. Think you'd be happy with either (more happy with the M3). M3 does command a lot doesn't it. Shows what a sweet spot the ZHP is in price vs performance.

I have ridden in my friends M3 and it is quite a monster of a car. Engine sounds so sweet. I think your car is fixable. The question is will it cost so much that the insurance just wants to write it off.

johnrando
12-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Not sure if I missed it, but is the car home? This might be a good time to take off the extras you put on.

imola red zhp
12-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Just read this, Sorry to hear about this Jon, glad you alright that's more important. Hopefully she can be fully repaired, especially the Alpine. I ll check out here if any ZHPs out here there was one earlier this week in Sacramento but its gone now....don't worry if she's not repairable we ll fined another for you

cakM3
12-02-2012, 11:43 AM
You know what's really freaking ironic? I found this on the local Craigslist... Its a steptronic, but if I had that, then the wife could drive it... Hmm.. If it is totaled, I'll cry a lot, and then probably buy this.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/ctd/3405342698.html

If you got that I wonder if you could swap out the interior from your old ZHP to this one??? Wouldn't that be nice! Although steptronic....

jack.chris328
12-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Not to shabby... If it does end up going the totaled route. You probably know that you can retain the car(and swap interiors) :) But also just know that the price they charge you to buy it back is negotiable. Even better if you have receipts for work do on it that you can show them. Try to take the third offer. Unless you just state what you wanted for it after the first offer and they give it to you. "Give me XX,XXX and I keep the car and we have a deal". That is how it went for me when my truck got hit. Got just dollars short of being able to purchase the same make and model truck again and keep the old one.

alexandre
12-02-2012, 11:54 AM
If you got that I wonder if you could swap out the interior from your old ZHP to this one??? Wouldn't that be nice! Although steptronic....

130k miles + step = timebomb

NorCalZman
12-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Auto to manual swap???

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Unless you just state what you wanted for it after the first offer and they give it to you. "Give me XX,XXX and I keep the car and we have a deal". That is how it went for me when my truck got hit. Got just dollars short of being able to purchase the same make and model truck again and keep the old one.

Yeah I have to learn more about how this all works. Never been in this situation.

If I did go this route, I would swap the entire powertrain into this new step car because like alex said, thats a lot of miles... I'd also swap the interior. Still doesn't have nav, but that's ok. My head unit is dying anyway.

az3579
12-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Can anyone say "holy grey batman"? Swapping the interior would take quite a bit of work... the carpet, dash, door panels, seats, and trim (you have black cube, right?) would have to get swapped, unless you like the grey. That's way too much IMO...

Oli77
12-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Just on the forum and I read this! Sorry to hear Jon and, as others have said, the most important is that you are OK.

Good luck with your next move.

BavarianZHP
12-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Glad you're ok, cars are replaceable. Try not to take it out on yourself for too long. At least you know what happened and how it happened, a valuable lesson to us all. Definitely keep us all posted on any progress and good luck to you sir in finding another ZHP, if it comes to that. I'm sure the community would help you find another car as well... Feel free to put up your desired preferences and we can help search.

Vas
12-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident. Keep us updated.

danewilson77
12-02-2012, 12:17 PM
The car just has to be in a rolling condition. I took all of my stuff off of it...including the rims. If it is totaled, they're going to junk it or sell it at auction. I would purchase a set of shitty 5x120 rims and bolt that shit up....and take the rims. I would also figure out a way to salvage that interior.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself...but you gotta start thinking on all possible outcomes.

Additionally, scan in all of the receipts from all money that has been put into the car in the last 6 months. You can have value of the car adjusted with these maintenance type additions. In my case it wasn't enough to save the car, but it put the value higher....which means my payout was better. I now always get TLP when buying a car.

UdubBadger
12-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Oh Jon. :(

Glad ur ok buddy.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

NorCalZman
12-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Can anyone say "holy grey batman"? Swapping the interior would take quite a bit of work... the carpet, dash, door panels, seats, and trim (you have black cube, right?) would have to get swapped, unless you like the grey. That's way too much IMO...

For a tan interior to replace a dove grey? I think its worth it. Just takes time and patience. I have done interior work before and I think that is less scary than engine work. heh.

az3579
12-02-2012, 12:54 PM
I now always get TLP when buying a car.

What is TLP?

For a tan interior to replace a dove grey? I think its worth it. Just takes time and patience. I have done interior work before and I think that is less scary than engine work. heh.

Not tan, my friend. Natural Brown. Way harder to find, and infinitely better looking IMO. :thumbsup

328ioc
12-02-2012, 01:01 PM
What is TLP?

Not tan, my friend. Natural Brown. Way harder to find, and infinitely better looking IMO. :thumbsup

Tpl = total loss protection

Jons leather is near mint as well......

wsmeyer
12-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Damn, glad it was just the car and your ego that were bruised.

I think if you don't want it totaled it would be smart to present them with the price of local comparable cars when the adjuster looks at it so they aren't making the repair / total decision based on a generic 330.

If they total it I would definitely keep it and swap the interior to the replacement. You just need to find one with black interior right?

William.

danewilson77
12-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Every car I finance through USAA (QTY 4), they offer TLP when you finance. If the car ends up being totaled, they pay off the loan. It basically protects you from getting stuck with the depreciation if someone kills your car (or if you do).

Other companies may call it something different.

UdubBadger
12-02-2012, 01:34 PM
GAP protection is the same/similar no?

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 02:32 PM
I paid cash for the car, so title is in hand, that at least is good. In terms of replacement, like I said, I have never done any of this before, so I'm definitely going to look into it all. Please post up any advice. I agree with the one comment, I should bring them some current listings of similar ZHP sedans for comparison.

In terms of this car, if it can be fixed, I'm keeping it. I don't care if they brandish the title. I never plan to sell it and try to recoup my money. I want THIS car... If it is not repairable, then my next goal will be to keep the car, get some money from insurance, and then swap as much as I can into a new car. The local alpine white/grey steptronic car would be ideal, because its white. I can transfer everything else over if I have to. But yes, I want to salvage as much as I can of the interior. My drivers door panel will most likely need to be replaced though, so have to cross that bridge at some point.

I would also try to swap as much of the drivetrain as well. Would actually be kind of cool having a spare drivetrain, would allow me to rebuild/modify stuff while the car stays whole... Hmm...

If in the end the car is not repairable and I have no option to keep it, I will probably pass on the ZHP and get something different. Or maybe I'll just find a clean white sedan and enjoy it for what it is. I don't know...

I'm still holding out faith that the car might be repairable. Later tonight I'm going to try and get it on jackstands and see what she looks like underneath...

cakM3
12-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Jon,

It kills me to see this happen after all the work you put into your ZHP.....I hope the damage is repairable...

NorCalZman
12-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Take pics!

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Just another thought... If anyone has a Carfax subscription, could you take a look at the car I posted in post #38 and send me the report?? I'd really appreciate it. I think I might take the drive down to see it... I'm half tempted to go look at the ZCP M3 too... Ugh, I don't need that... lol

NorCalZman
12-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Look at both. Then you can decide if the M3 is worth the extra 20k over a ZHP ;-)

328ioc
12-02-2012, 03:00 PM
If you want me to come look at the ZHP and M3 with you let me know and we can find some time.

Johnmadd
12-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Sorry to hear Jon. I must say that having lots of spare parts is great, all the glass ,fenders , drivetrain, and all the little trim stuff and various odd parts. Good luck.

MiniD
12-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Jupiter,

Check out this second post:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1920682&highlight=zhp

Too bad he can't receive PMs due to lack of post count. Sorry to hear about your car :( .

NorCalZman
12-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Jon.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-BMW-M3-2-door-Coupe-/261135507465?redirect=mobile&forcev4exp=true

330i ZHP
12-02-2012, 03:31 PM
this really sucks - looks like the rear trailing arm pulled the body in during the impact.

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Mini... Thanks so much for that link man. I replied and will keep an eye on it. I wonder if that's the same car that was for sale in Texas a few months ago. The one in Texas did fit the description... It was my car's twin, but I think it had silver trim. It was in rough shape, had about 115K miles if I remember correctly.

Antone... Hah, no thanks on that. The ONLY way I would go to a coupe would be if it was either an Alpine White or Interlagos Blue Competition Package car... But I'm not even really thinking that I want to spend that kind of money.

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 03:38 PM
this really sucks - looks like the rear trailing arm pulled the body in during the impact.

Yeah, about to find out, heading out to the garage to put her on jacks right now. If anyone wants to watch via FaceTime, hit me up! :rofl

Facetime at jdinisio@gmail.com

Nomar06
12-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Damn...suck to see this happen to such a nice car. Glad your ok and hope things work out for you in the end.

Johal E32
12-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Damn, I'm sorry to hear/see about this.

I'm sure your car is fixable, it seems to damaged in some awkward ares, but hopefully our ins. will cover it. IMO, get the BMW dealer to fix it, at least they will use OEM parts and paint.

Washburn
12-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Very sorry to hear this :( Alpine white! as an owner of an AW coupe this is especially painful to hear
- hope everything gets sorted out and that your ins. covers it. Keep us posted

cakM3
12-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks Jon for the FaceTime chat :thumbsup Like we talked about, hope things will work out for you bro! Still keeping my fingers crossed!

3ZHPGUY
12-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad news Jon and glad you only hurt your pride. My personal paranoia runs high about being in a similar situation on these unforgiving Tennessee back roads. Your cars very clean so the value's high and it may not be totaled. I worked in a body shop for many years in a past life and saw far worse damage repaired. A good body man with a good frame man can do amazing things.

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Well, the car is on jackstands and left rear wheel is off. From what I can see, the rear shock is bent, and the rear camber arm is completey hammered. I can't see if the rear trailing arm is bent or not, but I think the impact caused the twist that translated through the trailing arm to the body, causing the tweak and ripples in the wheel arch.

The SS brake line appears ok, but it got pulled tight and was rubbing the axle boot enough to tear the boot. Not sure if there is damage to the axle or not, but it looks ok.

Oh, lets not forget the 2 inch long chunk missing out of the wheel.

az3579
12-02-2012, 06:00 PM
The quarter-panel damage is what would make or break this repair...

WOLFN8TR
12-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Dam John I felt sick reading this. Sorry to hear about you're ZHP. Glad you are ok, that is the most important thing. From the looks of your car in the pictures I would say it is repairable. My brother got into a head on collision in his Ford F150 an it was 10 times worse and they fixed it just like new.

Good Luck...

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Agreed... I will hopefully find out all of this sometime this week.

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 06:36 PM
I would just like to say that reading this whole thread again exemplifies how incredibly awesome this forum and the 'family' is... Thanks so much for all the kind words today guys. It still sucks and my gut turns a little every time I walk out to the garage to see her beat up like this...

I will post more updates as I get them... Oh, and I got a copy of the Carfax for the AW sedan steptronic down here in FL... Have to pursue all avenues until I know which way I'm going... So, thanks for that. :)

I'm crashing out, need to end this crappy day...

cakM3
12-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Sleep it off Jon! After seeing your car during our FaceTime chat I could see some of the damage better....like I said, hopefully your car will be repaired back to 100% and since you're keeping this beautiful ZHP....it doesn't matter if your title changes....it will still be an awesome car! :thumbsup I'm sending positive energy your way bud!!!

( keeping just alittle for both my BMWs though ;) )

Hornung418
12-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Damn...I had my DSC off experience long ago. Driver side stepped out and I went the whole way around and backed the car between a mailbox and a curb. Incredibly lucky. Take it for what it is and be glad your okay. Catch you on the flip side. And send me a PM when you can.

From a GS3, this was sent.

zhp43867
12-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi Jon, I don't know you as well as some of the regulars here, but I'd like to offer you some advice based on having a very similar experience. First of all I'm very sorry to see your car in such a state, but I'm glad you're okay!

And this hurts to say... but if it's deemed totaled or even right on the tipping point, let them total it. I was in a similar position as you well... almost two years ago now with my old ZHP. It was right along the lines of damage close enough that it could have been totaled, but I wanted them not too and they didn't. I had it fixed by probably the best body shop in my area. They did a very, very nice job.

But it was a huge hassle- and if you asked me if I'd do the same thing again, I would not.

I edited it so most of the damage pictures are missing. it looks jsut barely tweaked on the outside, but the whole fender support was busted and... ugh...

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?269-I-can-t-tell-you-what-it-really-is.-I-can-only-tell-you-what-it-feels-like...

BCAN
12-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Oh, man...I am so sorry to see this. I know exactly how you feel Jon, it's one of the worst feelings possible. It'll brighten up eventually though, one way or another. Everything is an eventuality. From my personal experience, I think it should be able to get fixed if it's safe to do so. I had insurance give me upwards of nineteen grand for my old ZHP, and with the condition of your car you should be able to convince insurance your car is worth just as much, if not more. Once they're convinced of its value, then fixing it should be no problem. I know the feeling, you just WANT your car, your baby. There's nothing like it. Time will tell and, regardless of the outcome, time will also mend these wounds.

JKO_ZHP
12-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Aw Jon. Glad to know that you're okay though.
I also almost had an accident just last night. Hydroplaned while in a 360-degree turn on a bridge on the 57 freeway but DSC was on and the front wobbled a little but I was able to correct it.

Your DSC off may have been the big factor....but at least the damage isn't super severe and nobody else was involved.....

Hope everything gets sorted out soon.

JupiterBMW
12-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Thanks again for the continued help guys. You've all been awesome... The only update is that I spoke to insurance this morning and the earliest I can get an adjuster out here to look at the car is Friday early morning... Ugh...

I'll get under the car some more and take some more pictures if I can... Will update later... Going to get a Christmas tree with my wife and the baby today. Need a little holiday cheer to rid me of this...

Oh, and I'll post pics of my new wheels today whenever they arrive... Well, pics of them in the boxes at least... :crying

cakM3
12-03-2012, 08:30 AM

Jon,

It's not really that bad..just takes time to get everything swapped over. Just plan time...would make for an awesome project! :thumbsup

Had a friend take out his entire grey nappa interior, including dash, center console, rear decklid, carpeting...everything from his ///M. He diyed his interior seats to Imola...project ended up looking bauce! Got everything put back together again...

Can be done Jon:thumbsup

JupiterBMW
12-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Jon,

It's not really that bad..just takes time to get everything swapped over. Just plan time...would make for an awesome project! :thumbsup

Had a friend take out his entire grey nappa interior, including dash, center console, rear decklid, carpeting...everything from his ///M. He diyed his interior seats to Imola...project ended up looking bauce! Got everything put back together again...

Can be done Jon:thumbsup

Oh trust me, I've already thought of that... I started to think about all of those possibilities. To be honest, I think something like the natural brown would look good, but instead of the brown areas, use the dove grey... So basically, it'd be a two tone black/grey interior...

Lots of ideas..

jayjay_dee
12-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Late to this, but glad you are okay, and good luck Jon!!!

RITmusic2k
12-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Just saw all this now - Jon, sorry for the heartache and hassle that comes with all this. There's definitely gonna be a light at the end of the tunnel, though. Hang in there!

az3579
12-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Oh trust me, I've already thought of that... I started to think about all of those possibilities. To be honest, I think something like the natural brown would look good, but instead of the brown areas, use the dove grey... So basically, it'd be a two tone black/grey interior...

Lots of ideas..

This, along with black carpets and black dash, is THE way to get a grey interior looking classy.
That's the only way I'd rock grey. Black door cards with grey inserts, black carpet, black dash. Win.

JupiterBMW
12-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Yeah BP, basically, my natural brown interior, but the brown parts would be grey instead of brown... Would look pretty sick indeed... Would look even better on a TiAg car...

JupiterBMW
12-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Ok, damage pics, at least what I could see and get captured in photos...

The forward mounting for the trailing arm. You can see the mount slid quite a bit as shown by the location of the bolts in the slots.

Another shot showing the rubber bushing pushed partly out of the mount.

The inside of the wheel well, where the wheel contacted it. You can also see the brake line bracket pushed inward, and now the brake line under some tension.

The bushing mount on the back side of the differential, completely pushed out of the housing.

The trailing arm pushed into the gas tank.

JupiterBMW
12-03-2012, 04:42 PM
The camber arm, totally tweaked...

The resultant gap in the rear seat cushions from the tweak of the body

Headlinder popped out of place when the curtain airbag deployed (hanging there)

Door gaps off, between the two doors is a little wider now, and the one behind the back door is pinched to almost nothing. Have to slam the shit out of the door to get it to latch completely...

The wheel that hit the curb first. Its actually one of the 8" wide fronts, but it was on the back...

johnrando
12-03-2012, 04:44 PM
wow

JupiterBMW
12-03-2012, 04:45 PM
The rear strut, bent a little bit.

A different angle showing the crumple in the wheel arch

Another crinkle I found in the body, just under the rear door kick plate.

Drivers door airbag deployed...

Hornung418
12-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Holy shit...that's a lot of work. Hoping for the best, Jon!

328ioc
12-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Damn...I am on my phone so the pics arnt the best but it looks like most of the suspension parts can be replaced with new. So I guess it just comes down the the body really?

JupiterBMW
12-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Exactly Devlin... The suspension stuff is easy to replace, but the body damage worries me... We'll see...

Vas
12-03-2012, 05:36 PM
If the insurance company does not total it, the car will get put on a frame machine and the body will be pulled back to spec. It looks worse then it is John.

JupiterBMW
12-03-2012, 05:49 PM
If the insurance company does not total it, the car will get put on a frame machine and the body will be pulled back to spec. It looks worse then it is John.

Best reply to any thread, evAr... :biggrin

Seriously though, yeah, I'm seeing that too. I'm familiar with frame racks, but I guess I've never seen one which makes it still kind of hard to believe... Ah well, we'll see. Having my new rims has me excited and I'm holding out faith that sometime soon I will get the new wheels mounted...

billyjack
12-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Wow, sorry to see that happen. At least you are OK (physically speaking - mentally I'm sure its hard).

johnrando
12-03-2012, 05:51 PM
My TR8 got pulled back into spec on a frame machine. That car isn't worth what these are though, it's such a jalopy that while I was concerned, it wasn't a big risk.

az3579
12-03-2012, 05:57 PM

The problem isn't them being able to pull it back to spec, it's that the body isn't as strong now. It's much more susceptible to much greater damage if it gets hit there again. Even if it gets pulled back, I'd be worried about the car's safety at that point.

I'm not expert on this stuff, that's just my personal concern about it. I would think that if the car would ever get into a serious frontal collision, the rear would crumple as well from the forward motion/forces, potentially interfering with the passenger cabin. Anyone think this is possible, or the likelihood of it happening is small?

JupiterBMW
12-03-2012, 07:05 PM
BP, you are correct, you can never have 100% original strength... Ugh, we'll see. I'm hoping for a fix, even if it doesn't have the same strength, I will ensure it is a safe repair. We'll see.

zhp43867
12-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Well it is a unibody... so generally when repairing "frame damage" (technically there isn't your typical frame at all) there is more replacing than pulling and pushing being done...

Johnmadd
12-03-2012, 08:06 PM
As long as at looks good :)

derbo
12-03-2012, 09:33 PM
oh no! glad you are okay..hope the fix is quick..

Sockethead
12-04-2012, 05:20 AM
Jon, I just came across this, Dude I feel for you... I'd be ready to throw up too if that happened to my ZHP and then I'd be going over the whole incident in my head over and over...
Most of those suspension parts are designed to bend like that in an accident to save the rest of the car. It looks like he body is definitely tweaked but I bet it can be straitened.
Back in the late 80's early 90's We had a T-Bird that a friend was driving and she did the same thing into a curb. The body was so bent that the gearshift wouldn't even work. They straitened it perfectly and the car was fine after that. There is hope!

JupiterBMW
12-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Jon, I just came across this, Dude I feel for you... I'd be ready to throw up too if that happened to my ZHP and then I'd be going over the whole incident in my head over and over...
Most of those suspension parts are designed to bend like that in an accident to save the rest of the car. It looks like he body is definitely tweaked but I bet it can be straitened.
Back in the late 80's early 90's We had a T-Bird that a friend was driving and she did the same thing into a curb. The body was so bent that the gearshift wouldn't even work. They straitened it perfectly and the car was fine after that. There is hope!

The T-bird story gives me hope. And hopefully another 20 years in body repair technology will make this one an easier repair... Holding out hope!

JupiterBMW
12-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Well, nothing to say related to my car, but the AW sedan steptronic I posted up above is sold. I just called on it and they said they sold it for $9200. Ah well...

Now I'm really praying for repairs!

RedTRex
12-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Jon,
IIRC you want another sedan?

There is a coupe for sale near me if you are interested - http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/3452141319.html

Also - ran this http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=32258&endYear=2006&keywordPhrases=ZHP&modelCode1=330I&keywords=+ZHP+&startYear=2003&makeCode1=BMW&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&sellerTypes=b&numRecords=25&searchRadius=500&showcaseOwnerId=1361941&captureSearch=true&Log=0

and this http://www.searchtempest.com/results.php?location=32258&maxDist=750&region_us=1&search_string=ZHP&keytype=phrase&Region=na&cityselect=zip&page=0&category=8&subcat=cta&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

Rick

brettbimmer
12-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Jon, I am really sorry to hear/read this thread! I am really happy that you are alright, and hope that they are able to fix your ZHP, as I know that she is your other baby!

A few thoughts, though Monday morning quarterbacking isn't always helpful:

With the front to rear swap, the factory built-in understeer was probably dialed out a bit (maybe not 100% but certainly more then the traditional staggered or square setup at all four corners), due to the wheels on the front being wider with more contact patch on the road then in the rear, so the rear would break free first, thus causing an oversteer situation.

If you by chance lifted when you felt the rear break traction (a common response when the "pucker-factor" kicks in - ask me how I know! :shifty), the weight transfer would shift back to the front wheels quickly, thus providing even less traction to the rear wheels, allowing it to swing around even quicker.

I have done this on the track at VIR in the ZHP going about 85 MPH through the climbing esses & looking across my instructor's lap at a W124 Benz's rear bumper a few feet out the passenger side of my car. NOT a good feeling, but I had to lift as my closure rate was too great & I was going to hit this guy if I didn't. In lifting, I totally upset the balance of my car and that's when the weight transfer went back to the front, thus prompting the rear end to want to swap ends with the front end. DSC was completely off here incidentally, and I was driving on the Yokohama S. Drives, traditional staggered setup, wider rear.

There may have been oil or coolant on the road which caused you to break the rear traction first, at which point the rear end wants to swap ends with the front end. I have done this myself on a racetrack in an E30, accelerating out of a corner at wide-open-throttle, and next thing I know I am off the track in the snow! (Don't ask - early season HPDE).

DSC may have helped here, but I personally don't feel that it would have prevented this. I'm sure others will defend to the contrary, but that's my two cents.

Anyways, glad that you are ok as that is really the most important! Good luck with the repairs, and let me know if I can help in any way.

Hermes
12-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Jon, sorry to hear about this. I just saw this thread and read it through, I don't think your car will be totaled. Yes the damage will cost a lot but I don't think it comes to the point of writing off the car. As for the DSC on/off question, I will emphatically say yes that was the cause (paired with slick roads). I can throw the back end out whenever I feel like it with DSC all the way off, and if you're not used to driving in that setting it can be very easy to lose control when attempting to correct. As for rigidity after repairs, buy the Mason rear brace and subframe reinforcement:

http://www.masonengineering.net/images/E36Floorsupport.jpg

danewilson77
12-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Jon, sorry to hear about this. I just saw this thread and read it through, I don't think your car will be totaled. Yes the damage will cost a lot but I don't think it comes to the point of writing off the car. As for the DSC on/off question, I will emphatically say yes that was the cause (paired with slick roads). I can throw the back end out whenever I feel like it with DSC all the way off, and if you're not used to driving in that setting it can be very easy to lose control when attempting to correct. As for rigidity after repairs, buy the Mason rear brace and subframe reinforcement:

http://www.masonengineering.net/images/E36Floorsupport.jpg

Agree. Great idea.

zhpnsnv
12-04-2012, 03:13 PM
You had the 255s on the front and the 225s on the rear? If that's true then I think that would definitely explain the car's propensity to spin and even DSC's inability to catch it in time, and I totally agree with Brett's assessment of what might have happened. What do you think?

JupiterBMW
12-04-2012, 04:19 PM
I agree with all of you. Yes the tires were swapped, giving me the opposite stagger from stock... I never really thought about the contact patch... I mostly knew the 225 fronts (which were in back) were pretty beat up, so I had no concern with spinning them or stepping the back out on occasion. But, with the extra moisture on the roads, and yes, I did lift when it happened, I'm sure you guys are all spot on with your assessments. Sucks...

I'm also glad to hear that a couple more people with experience do not think it will be totaled. At this point, I'm just patiently waiting for the adjuster to come out and assess. Two days down, two more to go, and then Friday morning he'll be here.

As for that brace, my goodness that thing is pretty. But, I have fold down seats, and I do like to use them occasionally. I will keep that bar in mind though, it looks fantastic and I can only imagine the rigidity it adds.

Patience is a virtue... I'm reminding myself of that... :biggrin

brettbimmer
12-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Hmmm...custom bar under rear parcel shelf only, still giving you full use of fold-down rear seats?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

danewilson77
12-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Dinan rear strut brace would def help firm it up, side to side.

JupiterBMW
12-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Brett, you might be on to something...

Dane... Yes, I was going to add that to my Dinan wish list, but again, I don't want to interfere with trunk pass through. I don't use it a lot, but I'd like to have the option... Of course, I say all this, but I'm trying to think I folded down the seats and used the full space... Hmm...

RedTRex
12-04-2012, 05:51 PM
The Dinan rear bar is quick release ..... it's meant to be installed with fold down seats. Just read about it 2 days ago.

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D180-0461-Rear-Shock-Tower-Brace-E46-Series.aspx#page=9

NorCalZman
12-04-2012, 06:04 PM
I thought I read a few times that strut braces dont actually do much (in a discussion about a front strut tower brace)

Hermes
12-04-2012, 06:23 PM
As for that brace, my goodness that thing is pretty. But, I have fold down seats, and I do like to use them occasionally. I will keep that bar in mind though, it looks fantastic and I can only imagine the rigidity it adds.

that is actually 2 separate items that Mason sells in the pic. One is the strut brace and the other (much larger) piece is the subframe reinforcement. The quick release ones that others sell might be better suited for you if you do drop the seats down on a regular basis... but you have a 5-door so that should be the hauler anyways. To be honest it's probably the subframe reinforcement part that you would want in your case but in order to mount it you need to buy the brace (see in the pic how it bolts to the brace?)

I thought I read a few times that strut braces dont actually do much (in a discussion about a front strut tower brace)

^ agree (kinda), but that issue only applies to the front end. On cars with folding rear seats the rear brace makes a huge difference in torsional rigidity

JupiterBMW
12-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Antone- I'm not 100% sure on the effectiveness of strut braces on the E46 chassis... From what I've read (others should chime in here), the front strut brace on this chassis is really just beneficial in terms of not mushrooming the strut towers. There will be some added rigidity just by the simple fact that the towers are connected, but noticeably so? Maybe not...

JP- Hmm, I will have to look into that stuff more. I'm definitely not opposed to stiffening the car up, but then again, from what I know, a rear tower brace can also increase the likelihood of oversteer... I don't need any more of that!!

As for hauling abilities, yes, but the X3 has Oyster leather (off white) so any hauling gets done with the ZHP. I should put orange stripes on the car because its at Home Depot waaaaay too often... :rofl

danewilson77
12-04-2012, 07:12 PM
that is actually 2 separate items that Mason sells in the pic. One is the strut brace and the other (much larger) piece is the subframe reinforcement. The quick release ones that others sell might be better suited for you if you do drop the seats down on a regular basis... but you have a 5-door so that should be the hauler anyways. To be honest it's probably the subframe reinforcement part that you would want in your case but in order to mount it you need to buy the brace (see in the pic how it bolts to the brace?)

^ agree (kinda), but that issue only applies to the front end. On cars with folding rear seats the rear brace makes a huge difference in torsional rigidity

Yes. I noticed.it right away on my ZHP with ZCW.

Hermes
12-04-2012, 07:20 PM
As for hauling abilities, yes, but the X3 has Oyster leather (off white) so any hauling gets done with the ZHP. I should put orange stripes on the car because its at Home Depot waaaaay too often... :rofl

sounds like you need to pony up for a beater E34 touring for that duty (Inka or Colorado would be good colors to paint it)

Sockethead
12-04-2012, 07:30 PM

Have you looks into the OEM liner for the back of the X3? I know they make one for the e53... we have it and it's turned it into a pickup truck lol.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/r_powell123/_DSC1787.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/r_powell123/_DSC1789.jpg

johnrando
12-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Front strut braces do contribute to rigidity, but it's more likely felt on the track than DD. That, and mushrooming prevention. On a vert, the extra stiffness certainly couldn't hurt chassis flex. Not exactly sure about the rear, but you guys are providing that info, so we're set.

zhp43867
12-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Mason makes a subframe reinforcement/strut bar combination that doesn't totally block the fold down as well.

http://www.masonengineering.net/images/E46Rearsubframesupport.jpg

http://www.masonengineering.net/Subpages/E46.htm

webster
12-06-2012, 11:53 AM
not AW but here's a Silver Grey/Nat Brown sedan FS here in Houston...looks pretty clean

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3359739087.html

JupiterBMW
12-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks Wes... I actually saw that car and I do like it. I've got my eyes on 2 other AW sedans if mine doesn't pull through. One is AW/black leather, step, the other is AW/black leather, 6 spd....

So, we'll see what happens... Insurance Adjuster in the morning...

NorCalZman
12-06-2012, 11:58 AM
not AW but here's a Silver Grey/Nat Brown sedan FS here in Houston...looks pretty clean

Good lookin car. Just needs some spit n polish. New headlight lenses, clears/RCR, small ding removal, etc. Hope it finds a loving home.

DISA valve replaced at 94k huh. Im at 90.5k. I really need to check mine....

cakM3
12-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Jon,

Good luck with the adjuster tomorrow. Be sure to have all your receipts and records handy...

brettbimmer
12-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Hope that all goes favorably tomorrow. Save the AW's! :D

alexandre
12-06-2012, 05:55 PM

Wow SG over nat brown. You don't see those often.

Torxuvin
12-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Wow SG over nat brown. You don't see those often.

+1 I'm a fan

OP good luck tomorrow! Hope it goes well

NorCalZman
12-06-2012, 06:48 PM
The crowd is hushed and the drumroll has started, Jon :-)

JupiterBMW
12-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all the warm wishes guys. I haven't received any phone calls from the adjuster all week, but they did say I was scheduled for a visit tomorrow at 7:30am. So we shall wait and see.

Keep my car in your thoughts, in hoping for a smooth recovery. :wub

Johnmadd
12-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Jon, bring your book of receipts and your maintenance log and act very neurotic about this to maximize your situation. :)

johnrando
12-06-2012, 07:12 PM
And please remember what we talked about, it's a negotiation. If you don't agree, you can take them to court, which they don't want, so stay strong and firm, you might not get your starting # but you'll probably get them to come up twice. Also, since they have to pay you tax, they hold that out until the end. Say after all the back and forth, you want $10K but they are at $9.3. Then, they'll say, well, when we add the $400 in taxes, you're getting $9.8, deal? So, you're officially not getting what you want from them, but the # ends up being close.

JupiterBMW
12-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Oh yes, I will have the laptop with spreadsheet and my folder of all receipts. I am not letting them take advantage of the car being 'old' or anything like that. Its an extremely rare color combination, and in impeccable shape.

Luckily, the car is in my garage, so providing documentation is very easy and everything will be readily available.

Now I just need the adjuster to show up.

Vas
12-07-2012, 06:27 AM
Fingers crossed

Hornung418
12-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Any word yet?

JupiterBMW
12-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Ok, adjustor just left... Whew...

The guy was a really nice guy, a car guy himself, used to work in his Dad's body shop and has done a lot of car stuff. Was very knowledgeable and sympathetic of the fact that this car was a very rare breed... Of course, I made sure he still understood that it was not special. :shifty

Anyway, he did his assessment. He loved the fact that I had the car a foot off the ground on jack stands, in the garage that resembles a NASA clean room... We actually chatted quite a bit about cars, houses, home renovations, and all that stuff. So that was good...

But, he did his full assessment of the car, and then plugged everything into his laptop. He had diagrams of all the suspension, chassis, and brake parts right there, almost like I was looking at the inventory of a BMW parts counter computer. I was really impressed actually. He also discussed a lot about the process of repairing the car, some of which I knew and some of which I didn't... Very good guy and great experience overall.

His general assessment was that it looked ok. He said that if the airbags hadn't deployed, it would've for sure been a fixer, no sweat. But, even with that, he said he still thinks its ok. He wrote out and printed a copy of the estimate for me. He found a grand total of about $4075 in damages. The cost was pretty evenly split between parts and labor. He did note in the estimate that it would need to go on the rack and get pulled. The whole rear end is skewed ever so slightly, as evident in the rear door gaps (both sides).

So, looks like I'm going to be ok and the car will be repaired no problem. I do see a couple discrepancies, and I mentioned to him. He quoted a new wheel at $189, and mentioned it as a style 32. I told him that they were not, and he said no biggie, he had those being the closest ones he could find. He said it wasn't a big deal, when the car was brought in and checked out, they would plug in the VIN and it would come back with all the correct numbers.

So in result, $4100, car has to get brought to a shop now and set up for repairs. I called the body shop that is used by the local BMW dealer and they are arranging for it to get towed in there today.

I'm nervous that they'll get the car down there and find a ton more money in repairs needed, but as it stands now, the car was at about the 40% range for repair cost/value. Of course, that means they're evaluating the car at a value of about $10,000 which we all know is much lower than it should be. But either way, he said that in the state of Florida, as long as it is below 80%, they will repair the car. If it reaches 80%, then he has to do a full evaluation and we go from there.

Overall, looks like she'll be just fine. Whew... I can breathe again. :)

JupiterBMW
12-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Wow... Called the auto body and within 5 minutes, the tow company called and said a truck will be here to pick her up in 45 minutes!

Guess I need to go get her off the jack stands...

:( I'm going to miss my girl!

johnrando
12-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Great news Jon! Wow, they are fast. Hmmm, you'll be getting new 135s? I want one rear!

JupiterBMW
12-07-2012, 08:25 AM
They are replacing the one rear wheel that is busted up... I doubt any more than that... And it will be a reconditioned wheel, but still, nice to have... :)

328ioc
12-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Wooo hooo!

Crickett
12-07-2012, 08:37 AM
:roundel :thumbup Great news!! I'm sure that if she's going to the shop used by your BMW dealership that they'll take good care of her!

My ZHP needed a bit of straightening after my accident & she came out of it good as new! But keep on top of the shop & demand regular updates!!

Good luck!!

iP5. Tapatalk. Bauce.

NorCalZman
12-07-2012, 08:37 AM
awesome news. I am kind of surprised its only 4 grand in damage but hey its going to be like it never happened!

brettbimmer
12-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Great news Jon!!

cakM3
12-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Jon,

I'm so glad to hear that your baby will be repaired!!! That's great news! I can also breathe now....was hoping for the best...what a way to start out your weekend!!! Congrats bro :thumbsup

alexandre
12-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Awesome! :thumbsup

Jon D
12-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Good to hear..

Vas
12-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Now take pictures of it on the tow truck leaving....

midlandtech
12-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Great news I'm happy for ya hope the body shop inspection goes just as well

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danewilson77
12-07-2012, 09:19 AM
I think it's going to be more than that. Hoping not though.

wsmeyer
12-07-2012, 09:35 AM
That is great news. Sounds to me like as long as the shop it's getting towed to is less than $8k you're good to go? Can't imagine the adjusters estimate would be off that much.

William.

Oli77
12-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Great news! Happy for you.

RITmusic2k
12-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Congrats!! Soon this will all be a faint memory :)

JupiterBMW
12-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! The car was picked up promptly and on the flatbed without any trouble...

I too believe the repairs will be more than the estimate $4100, but the adjuster seemed very thorough, and he explained why he included everything, so I was content with it. I'm hoping not much more than $5000.

Anyway, just got another call, the tow truck delivered the car a little bit ago, so she's already getting attended to at the shop. I feel good about this, and hopefully I'll have her back and rolling on some SWEET new wheels before Christmas! :biggrin

NorCalZman
12-07-2012, 10:29 AM
so what are you using to get around in the meantime? are you and the ms sharing the X3?

JupiterBMW
12-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Considering I'm on vacation and she doesn't work, yes, we 'share' the X3... The only place we go separately is the gym (her) and Home Depot (me)... So, we really only need one vehicle anyway...

johnrando
12-07-2012, 10:44 AM
When I got an estimate for my car, I assumed it wouldn't be through insurance, so the estimate was around $10K (including a brand new OEM top). Once it ended up going through insurance it was like $4K. They discount the bleep out of it and use non-OEM for the work. You have to ask for OEM and pay the difference.

Sockethead
12-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Good to hear about the car Jon. I was guessing closer to 6k. Make sure they use all new OEM parts...that could be 1 reason for the low cost of repair...

Edit: John you beat me to it! But very important point.

danewilson77
12-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! The car was picked up promptly and on the flatbed without any trouble...

I too believe the repairs will be more than the estimate $4100, but the adjuster seemed very thorough, and he explained why he included everything, so I was content with it. I'm hoping not much more than $5000.

Anyway, just got another call, the tow truck delivered the car a little bit ago, so she's already getting attended to at the shop. I feel good about this, and hopefully I'll have her back and rolling on some SWEET new wheels before Christmas! :biggrin

Good news Joopy!

Hornung418
12-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Nice! Here's a suggestion. For the OEM subprime bushes, see if you can approach the shop about using AKG 90A bushings. Great upgrade and it solves the subfloor issues resulting from the lip on the OEM bushings.

Hope it goes smoothly.

imola red zhp
12-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Hope to that AW running again soon, great news....:D

sent from Dennis' Personal Electronic Device

JupiterBMW
12-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Nice! Here's a suggestion. For the OEM subprime bushes, see if you can approach the shop about using AKG 90A bushings. Great upgrade and it solves the subfloor issues resulting from the lip on the OEM bushings.

Hope it goes smoothly.

Do expand on this issue? I'm not exactly sure of what you're talking about... I was curious about ordering/bringing them aftermarket bushings, wasn't sure if they would go for that or not...

jack.chris328
12-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Awesome News! There is always a few more little things but nothing that will add up to push the total over the limit. +1 with what Justin said. If you want any mods on it now is the time to get it done.

Hornung418
12-07-2012, 01:10 PM
You should search YouTube for e46 subframe repair.

There is a spot weld that is right on the bushing lip and the constant loading and unloading is concentrated on that weld. If you were accident free I wouldn't worry about it, but since your differential came undone I can't say what the condition of the subfloor is, but it wouldn't hurt to upgrade ;)

NorCalZman
12-07-2012, 01:12 PM
I was going to say I thought later E46s has stronger metal back there and the subframe issues are not really an issue.

JupiterBMW
12-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Hmm, all great info, and I will definitely look into getting this stuff taken care of. Not sure I can really afford to spend some of my own money on the car right now. With the holidays and other stuff, I just need to get the car on the road safely... Going to have to take a break with mods for right now...

But its all good. :)

She's at the tow yard, authorizations are signed, so now I'll just wait for a call regarding the official inspection... We shall see. :)

I did take the obligatory photos of her as she left on the truck though. I hope they're good to her! :biggrin

Vas
12-07-2012, 02:43 PM
I know what's wrong with your car. It's all that positive camber it has lulz

JupiterBMW
12-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Yeah right?!? :rofl

I had to put the spare on it because I didn't want the flat tire/rim to gouge up the epoxy coating on my garage floor...

wsmeyer
12-07-2012, 02:48 PM
I know what's wrong with your car. It's all that positive camber it has lulz

That's what happens when you use a curb to do the adjusting

cakM3
12-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Hopefully the official inspection will be the same or close to the one you had today :thumbsup I would love to see your ZHP fully repaired and back in service Jon!!! Keep us posted!

JupiterBMW
12-08-2012, 04:31 AM
Will keep posting updates for sure... I'm sure the body shop is open today, but not sure about tomorrow, so we'll see. If I don't hear anything by mid-afternoon on Monday, I'll give them a call for sure. The adjuster actually estimated the total time for repair, and he said 11 days, so we'll see how long it all takes.

zhp43867
12-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Good luck man :)

I hope the damage is where it looks to be- and hasn't extended itself further into the subframe area!

RedTRex
12-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Sweet! Glad it can be fixed. Been on travel so just saw this.

JupiterBMW
12-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Well gents, a little update. I called the body shop today to see what sort of progress has been made. The car was picked up Friday and brought there. On Saturday they got started on it and ordered all the parts and the two airbags as listed in the insurance estimate. Today the car made it to the mechanic's hands and I guess they were starting to get it up on the lift and get a look at it. No word on any additional damages, but they're working, and fairly quickly it seems.

We shall see what the rest of the week brings. :fingerscrossed

danewilson77
12-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Awesome news Joopy! Looks like getting her back is a reality.

Torxuvin
12-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Sending you good thoughts buddy.

Whitexi
12-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Any word whats going on with your car yet, it was a real nice one this is a shame.

danewilson77
12-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Any word whats going on with your car yet, it was a real nice one this is a shame.

Huh? See above.

JupiterBMW
12-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Well gents, a little update. I called the body shop today to see what sort of progress has been made. The car was picked up Friday and brought there. On Saturday they got started on it and ordered all the parts and the two airbags as listed in the insurance estimate. Today the car made it to the mechanic's hands and I guess they were starting to get it up on the lift and get a look at it. No word on any additional damages, but they're working, and fairly quickly it seems.

We shall see what the rest of the week brings. :fingerscrossed

I'm assuming you're too excited over that sweet black Mini to actually read the posts.... :rofl Just messing with ya! :biggrin

johnrando
12-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Good news, keep us posted.

danewilson77
12-10-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm assuming you're too excited over that sweet black Mini to actually read the posts.... :rofl Just messing with ya! :biggrin

+1....Good stuff. It's ok....Ry expects it. He's suffering from Mini-neeeeeeeeeeeeeesia....

cakM3
12-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Jon,

That's great news! :thumbsup Keeping positive thoughts towards your ZHP brother!!!

Whitexi
12-10-2012, 05:47 PM

Sorry guys lol, I clicked the thread but it took me to page 4 and I just came back to see and noticed the pictures. Glad shes being fixed.

BCAN
12-10-2012, 08:10 PM
That's fantastic to hear man, it seems you got luckier than I did, lol. An AW ZHP is saved!

zhpnsnv
12-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Saving this car is like nursing a bald eagle back to bird of prey health after it flew into your sliding glass door.

Mad props.

mLuMaN83
12-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Dam man, sorry to hear the news! Glad you are ok as well as the family.

Hoping for the best with the car my Florida brother.

JupiterBMW
12-11-2012, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the continued replies guys. I'm not considering her 'saved' until she's back in my garage where she belongs. So, until then, I'm just being patient and waiting for more updates from the body shop. We shall see how it goes... :)

az3579
12-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Saving this car is like nursing a bald eagle back to bird of prey health after it flew into your sliding glass door.

Mad props.

I take it you have experience with nursing bald eagles back to health? :shifty

RedTRex
12-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Hey Jon,
I really hope this turn out well. I am absolutely loving mine and yours is just the same but an extra pair of doors. ;)

Where in Palm County are you? My mother-in-law lives in Boynton.

Also - been eyeballing this for a few weeks.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/pts/3413269303.html

but it is wayyyyyyyyy down there.......

Thanks for the continued replies guys. I'm not considering her 'saved' until she's back in my garage where she belongs. So, until then, I'm just being patient and waiting for more updates from the body shop. We shall see how it goes... :)

danewilson77
12-12-2012, 05:29 AM
Hey Jon,
I really hope this turn out well. I am absolutely loving mine and yours is just the same but an extra pair of doors. ;)

Jon, this fella is just what you were looking for to do your "Design comparison". Some car, same color, but a coupe.

You guys should get together.

JupiterBMW
12-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Hey Jon,

Yeah man, thanks, I'm very excited to get her back too. And yes, you're right, we have almost the exact same car, except I've got a sedan. We definitely need to get together and do a photo shoot... Would be very cool. :) As for me, I live in Jupiter (hence the screenname).

And yeah, I've seen that Borla before... I've already got the Dinan on my car, otherwise I'd be all over it. That's a killer deal for a full cat-back, and I've seen Borla stuff before, very good quality. You should doooo eeeeeet! :biggrin

JupiterBMW
12-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Jon, this fella is just what you were looking for to do your "Design comparison". Some car, same color, but a coupe.

You guys should get together.

You sir, are correct. When my girl gets home to me, I will definitely look to do this! Would make for some really cool shots.

RedTRex
12-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Going to Boynton New Years Eve. If still avail I just may jump on it.

Also just did a quick map check and see you are roughly 30 North of Boynton....will be solo on trip down, mayhaps I can catch you for a brief visit.

Rick

Yeah man, thanks, I'm very excited to get her back too. And yes, you're right, we have almost the exact same car, except I've got a sedan. We definitely need to get together and do a photo shoot... Would be very cool. :) As for me, I live in Jupiter (hence the screenname).

And yeah, I've seen that Borla before... I've already got the Dinan on my car, otherwise I'd be all over it. That's a killer deal for a full cat-back, and I've seen Borla stuff before, very good quality. You should doooo eeeeeet! :biggrin

Jon D
12-13-2012, 04:02 AM
Depending on timing we could do a SFL meet Maybe in West Palm? I'd drive up even though mine is Imola

JupiterBMW
12-13-2012, 04:10 AM
Going to Boynton New Years Eve. If still avail I just may jump on it.

Also just did a quick map check and see you are roughly 30 North of Boynton....will be solo on trip down, mayhaps I can catch you for a brief visit.

Rick

Yeah man, that could definitely work out. We're having a pretty big house party that day so I'm not sure I'll have a ton of time to hang out, but I'm sure at least a little bit to get together and meet up would work...

Depending on timing we could do a SFL meet Maybe in West Palm? I'd drive up even though mine is Imola

And yes, Jon, I haven't seen you for a while! Definitely would be good to get together... We need to discuss this more as the time grows closer!

:thumbsup Hopefully I'll have my car back at that point too...

cakM3
12-18-2012, 04:09 AM
status bump :thumbup

JupiterBMW
12-18-2012, 04:48 AM
Sorry Charlie, no updates as of yet. I called the body shop twice yesterday and didn't get a call back either time... I even told the lady the second time that the first time she gave him my name and told him to call me, he never did. And of course, it happened again. So frustrating...

Whitexi
12-18-2012, 05:37 AM
Sorry Charlie, no updates as of yet. I called the body shop twice yesterday and didn't get a call back either time... I even told the lady the second time that the first time she gave him my name and told him to call me, he never did. And of course, it happened again. So frustrating...

I hate that, I went through this the entire time of my recent incident. I'm glad it's all over with now!

Vas
12-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Just go pay them a visit imo.

danewilson77
12-18-2012, 04:04 PM

:mob

#noteperfectuseofemoticon

az3579
12-18-2012, 05:15 PM

I say just let them do their jobs and wait until they call you. I bet they get people calling for statuses all the time. Being in that kind of a position at work, I can tell you that getting called every day for a status when you're busy with other stuff gets old; I would think doing that to them would end up making them ignore you for a while.

If you're the guy that just patiently waits for it, they'll get to your car with a better attitude, thus hopefully resulting in higher quality work.

It's a mental game...

nike001
12-18-2012, 05:21 PM
I say just let them do their jobs and wait until they call you. I bet they get people calling for statuses all the time. Being in that kind of a position at work, I can tell you that getting called every day for a status when you're busy with other stuff gets old; I would think doing that to them would end up making them ignore you for a while.

If you're the guy that just patiently waits for it, they'll get to your car with a better attitude, thus hopefully resulting in higher quality work.

It's a mental game...

+1. Being around and making friends with the body shop guys where I work, they definitely get sort of annoyed with persistant people. It'll get done.

Probably not as well if you're bugging them 24/7 though. It's like complaining and giving the people a hard time at a restaurant who are preparing your food..

danewilson77
12-18-2012, 05:37 PM
I think the shop should be calling people at the end of the day (everyday), to give the customer updated status. Why make the customer call?

az3579
12-18-2012, 06:08 PM
I think the shop should be calling people at the end of the day (everyday), to give the customer updated status. Why make the customer call?

I can't answer for the actual body shop guys, but from a service perspective (in essence my job is a "service" type of thing), here are my thoughts on it and how it pertains to my job. This can most definitely apply to the body shop guys.

The simple answer is, it's not a really good use of time; there's simply too much to do. If I spent the time to give every single one of my "customers" a status at the end of every day, then I'd spent a good couple of hours researching all the issues and making all the calls / sending all the emails. That's a couple of hours better spent on actually getting work done. This is most likely why some people don't get answers immediately or for a day or two after making a call; the people are probably working on the car or doing other work that is occupying their time.

It's kind of like meetings. Meetings are pointless most of the time; it's nothing that a quick email can't handle, yet some are forced into meetings that last an hour or more when instead they could be directing their energy into stuff that matters.

It's not like you are ignoring the work; no way. The work is there and can't be ignored; nobody wants work just stagnating in their queue, so they get it out as quickly as they can to prevent status calls. Of course, getting status calls and always providing them is time that could be spent on getting the issue resolved... see what I mean?

There's always two sides to the coin. There's the customer perspective (when will I get my car back????) and then there's the service agent perspective (need to stop getting distracted and get the work done). This is the service agent perspective.

Must be killing Jon not to have his car... I can relate to that!

alexandre
12-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Hey Jon,

Get it! I have one and it's a sweet exhaust :D

danewilson77
12-18-2012, 07:15 PM
I can't answer for the actual body shop guys, but from a service perspective (in essence my job is a "service" type of thing), here are my thoughts on it and how it pertains to my job. This can most definitely apply to the body shop guys.

The simple answer is, it's not a really good use of time; there's simply too much to do. If I spent the time to give every single one of my "customers" a status at the end of every day, then I'd spent a good couple of hours researching all the issues and making all the calls / sending all the emails. That's a couple of hours better spent on actually getting work done. This is most likely why some people don't get answers immediately or for a day or two after making a call; the people are probably working on the car or doing other work that is occupying their time.

It's kind of like meetings. Meetings are pointless most of the time; it's nothing that a quick email can't handle, yet some are forced into meetings that last an hour or more when instead they could be directing their energy into stuff that matters.

It's not like you are ignoring the work; no way. The work is there and can't be ignored; nobody wants work just stagnating in their queue, so they get it out as quickly as they can to prevent status calls. Of course, getting status calls and always providing them is time that could be spent on getting the issue resolved... see what I mean?

There's always two sides to the coin. There's the customer perspective (when will I get my car back????) and then there's the service agent perspective (need to stop getting distracted and get the work done). This is the service agent perspective.

Must be killing Jon not to have his car... I can relate to that!

All of that and now I know there's 2 perspectives. Thanks.

Additionally, the customer is calling and never getting a call back (The case with Joopy). I simply can't support that, and imho a tepid balance of "give a shit" would help keep customers.

BCS_ZHP
12-18-2012, 08:11 PM
One of my best friends owns a body shop, has run it for over 30 years. He's told me you intentionally don't make friends with the customer cause you're seeing them as a result of an accident and the odds of you seeing them again are slim to none. He said you treat them fairly and professionally, fix their car correctly per industry standards, but you don't get emotionally attached to them or the emotions they're going through with their cars in his shop for repair. With the things outside of his control - parts suppliers, insurance companies, insurance adjusters - you can't get into the practice of making promises you can't keep.

In the late 90's, I hit black ice and spun a 6 month old Suburban into a jersey wall, every body panel was damaged except the 2 rear passenger doors. My buddy's shop did the work. I told him to treat it as his own, he told me to be patient then and leave him alone. It took 6 weeks but the vehicle was completed to my satisfaction. Part of the dilemma was the insurance companies want them to use cheaper non-OEM parts to save costs. The body shop has to accept them, then find a reason to reject them, often multiple times, before the insurance company finally relents and authorizes OEM parts. Definitely a PITA, but a good body shop will go thru this dance for you to get it right.

JupiterBMW
12-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Sorry I missed all the replies until just now. I literally did a light gut/renovation of one of our bathrooms. Started it yesterday, knowing that guests were starting to arrive tonight. And I'd like to say, all planned work was completed!

Onto the discussion of the body shops... I totally understand the "leave me alone so I can do my job"... And I also respect that. Let me just lay out a brief timeline so everyone understands. Car goes to the shop on Friday the 7th. They call when car arrives so we can take care of paperwork via email. I call on Monday just to talk and ask a few questions regarding progression of things and what I need to do. Guy helps me out and is very cordial, so I leave it be. He also says that car was processed on Saturday, so progress being made already. At this point I'm happy.

I meant to call again this past Friday and see how thing were going. I forgot. So I called yesterday (Monday) and received no return calls, twice. Then I called again today, was told he was with a customer and put to his voicemail. Was very nice and just told him that (1) I wanted to keep the one busted wheel if possible, and (2) that I was just curious as to an estimated completion date as we only have 1 car at home and family coming into town for the holidays... I asked him to give me a call back, just for a few minutes... No return call.

That all being said, I think I'm justified in my feelings and I do deserve a phone call. The adjustor initially gave me a timeline to completion of 11 days. Today is day 11. Well, it's 1:30am so technically day 12. :biggrin. But anyway, I don't need status updates every time they do something or every day, but a once a week phone call I feel is plenty reasonable.

Although, now I will call daily until I do reach him, and I will explain how I've been more than patient and I only need 5 minutes of phone time, if that.

So we shall see. In other news, our bathroom looks great! :biggrin

johnrando
12-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Hell yeah! It's called customer service. And, congrats on getting the bathroom done.

JupiterBMW
12-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks John! If I can locate the home renovation thread I'll post some pics!

JupiterBMW
12-19-2012, 12:37 PM
I don't even want to talk about my phone call with the body shop today... :crying

az3579
12-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Damn, it's been that long already?

Torxuvin
12-19-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't even want to talk about my phone call with the body shop today... :crying

That doesn't sound good...... I feel like we are in a hospital waiting room.

JupiterBMW
12-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Well, I won't hold you all in suspense. Not that I was trying to, just didn't feel like posting, still don't... But regardless, I gotta fill in the family..

Talked to the body shop and he explained to me that the 'torque box' which is basically the main structural portion of the unibody is tweaked a little. That being said, typically BMW says that it is a "point of no return". If that is tweaked then typically they say its no longer repairable. So, based on what BMW would recommend to the body shop, that is how they do things. Its not 100% as he is waiting to hear back from the insurance company, but its not looking great either. Typically the insurance goes by the recommendation of the body shop, and the guy was saying that they would call it a total.

Sooo, even though all the bolt on parts are easily replaceable, the fact that this 'torque box' is tweaked a little, the car is deemed a structural loss.

And now I have no car. Depressing to say the least.

All I want for Christmas is my ZHP.

Hermes
12-19-2012, 01:14 PM
I was told yesterday that BMW should still have spare E46 unibodies in Germany... just a thought

Seriously, that sucks. I guess we should start looking for a car so you can swap your interior into it.

johnrando
12-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Oh man, that's terrible.

jayjay_dee
12-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Sucks... I was hoping to read a good news...

Goodluck!

danewilson77
12-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Sorry Joopy.

#tears

GMATT
12-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Been following this thread.........sorry to hear about the loss of another White ZHP. Good luck in finding a replacement.

Gary

BRGcoopahS
12-19-2012, 04:04 PM
What a shame. ZHP sedans looks great in white.

Vas
12-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Keep us updated on what the insurance company says.

kayger12
12-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Sorry to hear, man. Sux.

az3579
12-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Well, I won't hold you all in suspense. Not that I was trying to, just didn't feel like posting, still don't... But regardless, I gotta fill in the family..

Talked to the body shop and he explained to me that the 'torque box' which is basically the main structural portion of the unibody is tweaked a little. That being said, typically BMW says that it is a "point of no return". If that is tweaked then typically they say its no longer repairable. So, based on what BMW would recommend to the body shop, that is how they do things. Its not 100% as he is waiting to hear back from the insurance company, but its not looking great either. Typically the insurance goes by the recommendation of the body shop, and the guy was saying that they would call it a total.

Sooo, even though all the bolt on parts are easily replaceable, the fact that this 'torque box' is tweaked a little, the car is deemed a structural loss.

And now I have no car. Depressing to say the least.

All I want for Christmas is my ZHP.

SHIT.
What's the plan now?

JupiterBMW
12-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I spoke to the insurance adjuster and he told me that they were going to send a separate inspector out to take a look and see what happens. So it's not completely 100% for sure yet.

I'm not holding out hope though. At the moment the plan is to be depressed and mope around until I hear final word.

johnrando
12-19-2012, 08:47 PM
That is very potentially depressing news. Really hope it doesn't come to that... I know how I'd feel with my car.

Johal E32
12-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Damn dude, that sucks..

I am sure it will all get resolved soon!

BCAN
12-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Oh, dammit... Our poor AW's :facepalm
Holding out hope, but I'm sorry to hear about the news.

Avetiso
12-19-2012, 10:09 PM
I've seen a lot of cars get smashed. I've seen a lot of BMW's get smashed. I've seen so much worse than your damage be repaired just fine; excellent in fact. Sounds really weird to me. If you don't mind owning a salvage, I'd buy it from the insurance and get it fixed somewhere else. OR if you get a good payout, buy another one.

EDIT: quarter panels and rear ends is what I am referring to.

BCS_ZHP
12-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Jon,
If the adjuster does the worst, call me, found a replacement (except for interior). Yes, it's zhp, AW, 4 doors, 6 spd, just under 100K but tan/sand vs natural brown, clean Carfax. I drove it last weekend, nothing major amiss.
Bruce

JupiterBMW
12-20-2012, 04:18 AM
Bruce, I will definitely do that man. I reeeeeeeally hope it does NOT come to that, but I will keep it in mind. I laid in bed last night and just hoped and prayed for my car. Seriously. :shifty

johnrando
12-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Know the feeling.

danewilson77
12-20-2012, 06:56 AM
Know the feeling.

+1

JupiterBMW
12-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Thanks boys... I'm asking that everyone say a kind word and keep your fingers crossed that my girl gets put back together!

GMATT
12-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Jon,
If the adjuster does the worst, call me, found a replacement (except for interior). Yes, it's zhp, AW, 4 doors, 6 spd, just under 100K but tan/sand vs natural brown, clean Carfax. I drove it last weekend, nothing major amiss.
Bruce

Bruce ,all that car is sold.

A very good friend bought it yesterday and is trailering it home now.

RedTRex
12-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Dang....not good news.

JupiterBMW
12-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Damn Gary, I wasn't hoping to hear about that. There are a couple others out there, so we'll see.

And as for updates, I spoke to the adjuster again today. He said the special investigator isn't going to make it out to the car until Wednesday. So, no word from my end really. He did say that the body shop estimated an additional $6-8000 in damages, on top of the $4100 the adjuster found when he was at my house. We'll see...

Also, I got a rental car today. I asked for a small car, anything not black... What did I get? a black Nissan Sentra. :facepalm Oh well, its small and will be economical, and it'll hopefully slow the mileage accumulation on the X3.

Johnmadd
12-20-2012, 05:49 PM
It ok John. If it were me I'd see what it costs just to buy it back from insurance and spare the salvage title. Either fix diy or if you h have a friend willing too give you a good deal and help do some of the work for lesser price. Another option is to buy it back and make money off of parts or use the parts down the road as needed.

BCS_ZHP
12-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Bruce ,all that car is sold.

A very good friend bought it yesterday and is trailering it home now.

Gary,
Are we talking the same car, small dealer in Northern VA? There's also a private seller in my area with another AW but a bit higher mileage.
Bruce

Torxuvin
12-20-2012, 06:45 PM
a black Nissan Sentra.

Ballin'

Lol. Hope you get her back soon...

JupiterBMW
12-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Gary,
Are we talking the same car, small dealer in Northern VA? There's also a private seller in my area with another AW but a bit higher mileage.
Bruce

Yeah Bruce, I'm pretty sure he is. I looked at the website you told me earlier today when we talked and I didn't see the car on there at all... Bummer!

BCS_ZHP
12-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Jon,
Sorry to hear that Jon. If any color other than AW works for you, just let me know. There's a TIAG ZHP sedan in my area that I haven't had a chance to look at/drive yet, similar price range, lower miles, private seller/enthusiast, records and sounds very nice.

Bruce, aka ZHP hunter

danewilson77
12-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Jon,
Sorry to hear that Jon. If any color other than AW works for you, just let me know. There's a TIAG ZHP sedan in my area that I haven't had a chance to look at/drive yet, similar price range, lower miles, private seller/enthusiast, records and sounds very nice.

Bruce, aka ZHP hunter

Dhu eeet.

BCS_ZHP
12-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Mr Wilson -- With almost 5 drivers, it's high time you become a 2 (or more) Bimmer family, perpetuate the gene...

whadayathink?