PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, you cowardly a$$

PHZ
12-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Came out to my car Friday to find this damage.

No note, just the mark of a coward. 6452

Sent from my (Br)iPhone using Tapatalk

az3579
12-02-2012, 01:29 PM
So now the investigation can begin... black paint. Hmm, anyone you park near have a black car?

danewilson77
12-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Wonder how it happened so low? That may be a tire mark?

UdubBadger
12-02-2012, 01:52 PM
jeeze bad day for zhp's.

its settled... i'm leaving mine in the garage today.

cakM3
12-02-2012, 02:45 PM
That's two now.....after hearing about Jon's accident this morning I opted to keep both my cars where they were instead of driving them....yeah Seth, I was thinking today is a bad day for ZHPs... :facepalm

JupiterBMW
12-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I'd have to agree, so low on the car, I'm saying tire or some rubber trim or something...

imola red zhp
12-02-2012, 04:28 PM
:foottap

BavarianZHP
12-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Where was this? Security cam perhaps??? Go CSI on his arse.

328ioc
12-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Since its so low and appears to be a tire could this possibly be a Motorcycle tire? The absence of a full front fender would allow the tire full access to the bumper.

Granted IDK how some one on a bike wouldn't see a car right in front of them......

3ZHPGUY
12-02-2012, 05:11 PM
That sucks!

cakM3
12-02-2012, 05:24 PM
sorry to see but it goes to show some people just have absolutely no respect for other's property...:facepalm

WOLFN8TR
12-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Dam! I can just imagine the feeling of seeing your car hit like that.

We had our 4Runner hit just like that, plastic rear bumper push in. Try this, take a hair dryer and heat up that entire area then reach back behind the bumper and push it out. It worked on ours. Then all you have to do is remove that Black smudge.

JKO_ZHP
12-02-2012, 06:23 PM
DAMN....sorry to see this, Bryan.
Was this on campus?

johnrando
12-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Oh man, SUX! It IS a bad day for our cars.

das boots
12-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Time to get hold of Bumper Doc.

danewilson77
12-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Dam! I can just imagine the feeling of seeing your car hit like that.

We had our 4Runner hit just like that, plastic rear bumper push in. Try this, take a hair dryer and heat up that entire area then reach back behind the bumper and push it out. It worked on ours. Then all you have to do is remove that Black smudge.

Dis....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILVWPzO_swY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

PHZ
12-02-2012, 07:17 PM
It does suck

The statement is correct- peeps have no respect for others' things.

The paint is pierced ad cracked in several areas 5-6)... Won't be able to heat it out.

I have no idea what could have hit it that low. Other than perhaps a lowered car. The black looks like a bumper for sure.

No security cams in the parking garage.

There goes my iPhone integration $.
Taking it to get estimates tomorrow.

It almost made me feel like all my time in maintaining and self- detailing is not worth it.
Of course then I started observing how many peeps leave shopping carts strewn about in parking lots to hit others..... I'm one of the saps that always takes mine back to the store for good karma. So much for that........

JKO_ZHP
12-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Have you thought about posting something on the group page on FB?
Or if you'd like I can ask around for you. The date, location, and approx. time frame would help.
Usually people see stuff like this all the time but just say nothing because they don't want to make the effort to report it or it isn't someone they know/their car so they don't care.

I've had a few friends who've posted stuff like "omg im an idiot i just hit a parked car what do i do....time to bone out" on FB and others like "omg just got hit. who hits a parked car" and etc., etc.

Maybe someone saw something is what I'm saying.

toddness
12-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Hate hearing stories like this. Hope something can be done about it. I'd be scoping out the mark and vehicles in the area to make some connection if possible.

PHZ
12-02-2012, 10:24 PM
JKO
I have not thought about this. Being faculty, pursuing this in a lot where students also park makes it "challenging".

I'd appreciate if you asked around... It was first level nutwood adjacent.

PHZ
12-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Todd

I will be checking this out.

JKO_ZHP
12-02-2012, 10:36 PM
JKO
I have not thought about this. Being faculty, pursuing this in a lot where students also park makes it "challenging".

I'd appreciate if you asked around... It was first level nutwood adjacent.

I know, it won't be hard making it sound like I'm just a buddy of another student who was in a hit-and-run. No info about you needed, just the date and time frame if you could. All I can ask right now with what you've told me is "I have a buddy whose car was hit from behind on ____ around ____ AM/PM."
I can also attach the pic with nothing revealing that it's a BMW or anything if you want. But the more details, the more likely someone will step forward. First floor's always got people walking back and forth and it looks like something like this would've caused some noise/attention maybe...

wsmeyer
12-02-2012, 11:09 PM
That really sucks. Someone did a hit and run on my ZHP about five years ago and I still get pissed off thinking about it.

I can't quite picture how a car could do damage to yours that low. What comes to mind is one of those low carts like they have at Home Depot, you also mentioned a parking garage, anybody driving golf carts around there?

William.

Ryans323i
12-03-2012, 07:13 AM
That's totally shitty! Sorry to hear. Looks like a lowered car's bumper w/ a body kit hit it.

Something like this IMO

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQspD5CHHnVo-tnCig36iCbka7-tdI1HFABZarrtTZNOsTizC9c

///Maniak
12-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Dang, I'm sorry to hear about/see that! What a bastard.

JupiterBMW
12-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Good luck to you in getting it fixed man. Don't kill yourself over who did it. If JKO can help find out who or if anyone saw it, then go for that, but don't stress and invest yourself with that too much. It will only irritate you more. It looks to be very minor. Replace the bumper, get it sprayed and be done with it...

I'm realizing that car issues will seriously bother you if you let them... Sadly, it doesn't change the fact that it has to be dealt with...

JKO_ZHP
12-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Btw, I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all but after 3 years now, there's only one place that I park that's almost guaranteed to be safer than any other floor or structure. Nutwood, 3rd floor.

Most people park in the same general area (or like me, same spot) for the entire span of their time here and so I don't know everyone who parks here but I have a general idea if that makes sense. Like I have a "feel" for the area.

My 325Ci was never hit or dented in '10 or '11 and my ZHP has been hit on the front bumper a month ago but that was my fault. I came late and so I didn't get a spot next to a pillar and I had to park in between two SUVs. But the damage to the front is just some paint ridges, it didn't even crack and you can't see it unless you're up close.
Most of the students in the CSUF Auto page are regulars on the 3rd floor also.

PHZ
12-03-2012, 01:25 PM
I know, it won't be hard making it sound like I'm just a buddy of another student who was in a hit-and-run. No info about you needed, just the date and time frame if you could. All I can ask right now with what you've told me is "I have a buddy whose car was hit from behind on ____ around ____ AM/PM."
I can also attach the pic with nothing revealing that it's a BMW or anything if you want. But the more details, the more likely someone will step forward. First floor's always got people walking back and forth and it looks like something like this would've caused some noise/attention maybe...

Thanx man.

First floor.
Friday - time unknown

I didn't get out of my office till quite late.

PHZ
12-03-2012, 01:26 PM
That really sucks. Someone did a hit and run on my ZHP about five years ago and I still get pissed off thinking about it.

I can't quite picture how a car could do damage to yours that low. What comes to mind is one of those low carts like they have at Home Depot, you also mentioned a parking garage, anybody driving golf carts around there?

William.

That's a good suggestion. Only the campus police and maintenance crews drive golf carts.

PHZ
12-03-2012, 01:27 PM
That's totally shitty! Sorry to hear. Looks like a lowered car's bumper w/ a body kit hit it.

Something like this IMO

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQspD5CHHnVo-tnCig36iCbka7-tdI1HFABZarrtTZNOsTizC9c

Thank you.
Yes, that's what I have in mind as well. LOTS of those types of vehicles in our parking structure.

PHZ
12-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Dang, I'm sorry to hear about/see that! What a bastard.

Thanx man

PHZ
12-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Good luck to you in getting it fixed man. Don't kill yourself over who did it. If JKO can help find out who or if anyone saw it, then go for that, but don't stress and invest yourself with that too much. It will only irritate you more. It looks to be very minor. Replace the bumper, get it sprayed and be done with it...

I'm realizing that car issues will seriously bother you if you let them... Sadly, it doesn't change the fact that it has to be dealt with...

True dat. I'm over the pissed off stage... I'm just disappointed in my fellow man (or woman).
Got an estimate for 470$ today.... Good news ( I suppose) is that I have a 250$ deductible, and my insurance company said its covered... And since it was parked it will not effect my rates.

So 250 (plus rental car) is not tragic.......

PHZ
12-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Btw, I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all but after 3 years now, there's only one place that I park that's almost guaranteed to be safer than any other floor or structure. Nutwood, 3rd floor.

Most people park in the same general area (or like me, same spot) for the entire span of their time here and so I don't know everyone who parks here but I have a general idea if that makes sense. Like I have a "feel" for the area.

My 325Ci was never hit or dented in '10 or '11 and my ZHP has been hit on the front bumper a month ago but that was my fault. I came late and so I didn't get a spot next to a pillar and I had to park in between two SUVs. But the damage to the front is just some paint ridges, it didn't even crack and you can't see it unless you're up close.
Most of the students in the CSUF Auto page are regulars on the 3rd floor also.

I may start checking out the 3 rd floor...

johnrando
12-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Good to hear. Ouch on the $250 but still, in the big picture, could have been worse.

mcaden
12-03-2012, 02:18 PM
First off, sorry about your damage - which sucks. It sounds like you are going to get it professionally repaired (if so, make sure the shop understands the difference between a ZHP rear bumper and stock bumper... and that your bumper was not some aftermarket install). In the interim or if you decide otherwise, (as suggested earlier in this thread) get a heat gun/hair dryer and lightly warm the area for a while and then push out the indentation. Then take some Scratch-X or rubbing compound and remove the black smudges (which appear to be over top of your paint). I have done this for several people with good results.

Again - sorry and good luck.

-Marc

PHZ
12-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Good to hear. Ouch on the $250 but still, in the big picture, could have been worse.

Thanx.

Yes, ouch, but could have been much much worse.

PHZ
12-03-2012, 02:38 PM
First off, sorry about your damage - which sucks. It sounds like you are going to get it professionally repaired (if so, make sure the shop understands the difference between a ZHP rear bumper and stock bumper... and that your bumper was not some aftermarket install). In the interim or if you decide otherwise, (as suggested earlier in this thread) get a heat gun/hair dryer and lightly warm the area for a while and then push out the indentation. Then take some Scratch-X or rubbing compound and remove the black smudges (which appear to be over top of your paint). I have done this for several people with good results.

Again - sorry and good luck.

-Marc

Thank you

Good thoughts.... Tough would it make a difference to the shop doing repairs if it was "ZHP" or not?

MrMaico
12-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Thank you

Good thoughts.... Tough would it make a difference to the shop doing repairs if it was "ZHP" or not?

Definitely, the ZHP bumper has the diffuser panel that's not found on the regular bumper...

ZHP or "M" style...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD53&mospid=47713&btnr=51_4311&hg=51&fg=17

Regular style....

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD53&mospid=47713&btnr=51_4930&hg=51&fg=17

EDIT: Assuming you were referring to replacement bumpers.

PHZ
12-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Definitely, the ZHP bumper has the diffuser panel that's not found on the regular bumper...

ZHP or "M" style...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD53&mospid=47713&btnr=51_4311& hg=51&fg=17

Regular style....

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD53&mospid=47713&btnr=51_4930& hg=51&fg=17

EDIT: Assuming you were referring to replacement bumpers.

Oh... Haha

I'm talking repair. Replacing is over 900$

I was wondering...;)
Thank you!

Stu
12-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Ugh, I'm sorry man.

I will admit, I slightly made a scuff on someone's parked car once when backing up.

I went in to get a note, but then I saw all my car cleaning material. I said, "Hey, you know what, worth a shot. Worst case, the repair for the damage will be much less."

I went outside, cleaned up both my bumper and his scuff with ScratchX, rubbing compound, and carnauba wax, and his car was literally in better condition than before I nicked it :p There was just some paint transfer, and I got it all off, good as new. I was proud of myself. Spent like 30 minutes working on it.

PHZ
12-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Ugh, I'm sorry man.

I will admit, I slightly made a scuff on someone's parked car once when backing up.

I went in to get a note, but then I saw all my car cleaning material. I said, "Hey, you know what, worth a shot. Worst case, the repair for the damage will be much less."

I went outside, cleaned up both my bumper and his scuff with ScratchX, rubbing compound, and carnauba wax, and his car was literally in better condition than before I nicked it :p There was just some paint transfer, and I got it all off, good as new. I was proud of myself. Spent like 30 minutes working on it.

If only everyone would do this.....

az3579
12-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Ugh, I'm sorry man.

Dude,
I want you to scuff my car next time. Please... I could use some good scuff repair on my left rear section where the quarter meets the bumper... :biggrin

PHZ
12-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Now THAT'S funny!

Ryans323i
12-04-2012, 08:23 AM
True dat. I'm over the pissed off stage... I'm just disappointed in my fellow man (or woman).
Got an estimate for 470$ today.... Good news ( I suppose) is that I have a 250$ deductible, and my insurance company said its covered... And since it was parked it will not effect my rates.

So 250 (plus rental car) is not tragic.......

That's not bad. Still sucks, but not ridiculously.

Torxuvin
12-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Sucks man. I feel your pain. I had someone back into the vette while parallel parking and run off. I was super pissed. Right where the zhp is in my sig picture actually. (At the GF's place. :( usually both are in a parking garage.)

PHZ
12-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Sucks man. I feel your pain. I had someone back into the vette while parallel parking and run off. I was super pissed. Right where the zhp is in my sig picture actually. (At the GF's place. :( usually both are in a parking garage.)

:(