PDA

View Full Version : HK Rattle or something else?

Torxuvin
12-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Trying to figure out what this is. Only happens with music on. (especially with bass turned up) Definitely coming from the rear shelf area. Noise is there with the seats folded down and when they are up.

http://www.facebook.com/v/761260401334

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z85Sze3WFuk&feature=youtu.be

Jlastor
12-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Couldn't see the video. But its most probably an HK speaker gone bad. It fairly common. You can go to youtube and search for a video from BSW which explains how to remove the rear speakers. Its really easy, that way you can visually check your speakers.

Torxuvin
12-06-2012, 09:36 AM
How about this (I edited the original post)

Jlastor
12-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Sounds like a torn speaker to me :(

When i replaced my HK's for BSW, the HK's still sounded decent (no rattle or anything) but when I took them out they were totally torn, just about to start rattling. They disintegrated in my hands.

Just saw a couple of HK's in good condition on ebay if you want to solve the problem quickly.

NorCalZman
12-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Sounds like a torn speaker to me :(

When i replaced my HK's for BSW, the HK's still sounded decent (no rattle or anything) but when I took them out they were totally torn, just about to start rattling. They disintegrated in my hands.

Just saw a couple of HK's in good condition on ebay if you want to solve the problem quickly.

How are the BSW speakers? Worth the price? I have been reading a thread over on e46f where they were trying to develop an amp, and some people were of the opinion that without the amp the speakers were no better than stock.

Ryans323i
12-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Definitely a blown speaker. Old speaker + loud/deep bass will usually do it.

Fwiw I have the regular (not sure what they're called, not the HKs) for my rear deck speakers. I wasn't happy with my overall sound of my system so I pulled HKs off a junker for my mids (the speakers in the doors), and left the "norms" on the deck. Made a huge difference, and btw we listen to same type of music, but it still didn't give the bass that I wanted. If you want really good bass, you'll need a sub-woofer. I have a 10" sub in a box w/ an amp in trunk. I now have one of the best sounding systems I've ever heard. It's clear and thumps good too, but not ridiculously trunk rattling sort of thumping! (Actually it can get that loud, but I've never had the trunk rattle or distort the music.)

Point is, the deck speakers aren't that important if you're wanting good rap/hip-hop music. So don't spend a fortune on those, put the money towards a sub and amp. Fwiw I also listen to country and classic rock, they also sound great too.

Torxuvin
12-06-2012, 10:31 AM
*sigh* Was hoping for an easy fix. Once I figure out what speaker it is exactly, I'll probably just replace it with a used hk. I need to figure out what my plan for the car is.

Ryans323i
12-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Cheap fix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlDM5a-rK_8

Torxuvin
12-06-2012, 05:05 PM
I know it's a little ghetto, but I may try that until I'm ready to upgrade the whole system. It is definitely that speaker on the passenger side of the rear shelf.

nike001
12-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Ryan, how did you wire the trigger to your amp that tells it when to turn on?

I'm in the process of buying a BSW style box, a 10" sub, and an amp and I'd rather not have to run something to my HU.

But +1 to just needing bass. I went trough 2 subwoofer/amp set-up's in my e39 and that thing sounded fantastic. My mom even noted how good it was, even going as far as saying it felt like she was there. and that was in a 1997!

Torxuvin
12-07-2012, 10:37 AM
The speaker doesn't look bad, but it was definitely the cause of the noise.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/483573_761509127884_530275343_n.jpg

EDIT: Make that both rears are doing it. The driver side just wasn't as loud, but it's still there.

zhp43867
12-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Where are your other mounting tabs? There should be three screw tabs, not one. And are you sure it's not the HK grill? The back, silver colored part likes to separate from the front and rattle. Try pressing down on that part and see if it goes away.

Torxuvin
12-09-2012, 02:01 PM
There are three there. They are just hard to see. The speakers were bad. I bought 2 used hks from a friend yesterday and installed them. Weird noises are gone!

Ryans323i
12-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Great to hear! Pun intended.