PDA

View Full Version : Driver's Door fails to unlock

BavarianZHP
12-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Hey all,

My driver's door fails to unlock with the key (remote or manual turning method). Otherwise everything is fine (it can lock with remote or key). I'm thinking some linkage arm broke? The only way to unlock the door is to pull on the door handle from inside the cabin. It's a PITA, I have to climb from the passenger side or roll down the windows every time I lock the car. :facepalm

I'm assuming the actuator is fine since it can be remotely locked and makes noise on unlock (I think it makes the appropriate buzzing noise, hard to tell with all other doors unlocking as well). The manual key operation should always work even if all batteries (key and car) are dead right? What could be the issue? Is there a DIY?

Thanks,

M0nk3y
12-08-2012, 10:09 PM
GM5 module it sounds like it's on its way out.

Can you unlock/lock it with the central unlock button?

BavarianZHP
12-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Sorry, I'm a BMW newb.

I was using the central BMW button on the fob to lock the car (say's "lock" by it) - is that what you mean? I didn't try holding the button, tapping it twice, etc.. to unlock the car this way. I was using the arrowed upper key to unlock it.

alexandre
12-08-2012, 10:23 PM
He's talking about the locking button next to your hazard switch on your center console.

M0nk3y
12-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Sorry, I'm a BMW newb.

I was using the central BMW button on the fob to lock the car (say's "lock" by it) - is that what you mean? I didn't try holding the button, tapping it twice, etc.. to unlock the car this way. I was using the arrowed upper key to unlock it.

GM5 module controls your central locking system, wipers, windows...etc.

Here's a good read:

http://www.bmwgm5.com/

I meant the central locking button on your console. Does that work at all?

BavarianZHP
12-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks for bearing with me guys. I'll update you in a few secs.. Yes, central locking button (page 32 of manual... I'm getting through reading it!).

wsmeyer
12-08-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm guessing #1 in the diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BW53&mospid=47707&btnr=41_1354&hg=41&fg=40&hl=6

There is no linkage arm between the key and the door latch. As a safety feature, the physical key should unlock the door without electricity.

There is linkage between the inner handle and the latch, but it connects at a different place, and to prevent tampering with a slim-jim, is disengaged if the door is locked from the outside.

William.

BavarianZHP
12-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Ok, the central lock button will lock all of the doors but it still does not unlock the driver's side.

Hermes
12-09-2012, 12:08 AM
if just one door than it's probably your actuator in the door itself... but you might want to send your gm5 in for repair anyways, it will eventually have issues. Check out the site Kyle posted, I will be sending mine to him soon for repair

BavarianZHP
12-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Thanks, I'll open up the door to see if I can find anything off...

static667
12-09-2012, 06:13 AM
It is probably the cable that goes from your handle to the latch mechanism. This cable likes to pop out of the bracket that holds it, on my car at least. When it comes loose, it won't allow the cable inside to tighten enough to activate the latch. I have had an ongoing issue with my passenger door with this thing for a while. It really pisses me off. I think I was able to permanently solve my issue this time with a zip tie around the cable and bracket. I'm sorry that I don't have any pictures of the assembly from inside the door. All I can find is the OE parts breakdown here (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BN33&mospid=47710&btnr=41_1354&hg=41&fg=40). You will need to take off the door trim panel and pull back the vapor barrier to get access to it. It will not be easy to work on and you will wish for another joint in your arm to make it work. Good luck!

az3579
12-09-2012, 07:51 AM
^^ I don't think that's his issue because he's able to open the door from the inside with the handle.

BavarianZHP
12-09-2012, 12:00 PM
I can open the door with the inner handle and outside handle IF the door is unlocked. I've been reading some DIYs and it seems like a long process but fairly straight forward - I'll have my roommate give me a hand. From the threads it seems like a common issue... I might as well check the window regulator and zip tie it? Thanks.

danewilson77
12-09-2012, 12:05 PM
I can open the door with the inner handle and outside handle IF the door is unlocked. I've been reading some DIYs and it seems like a long process but fairly straight forward - I'll have my roommate give me a hand. From the threads it seems like a common issue... I might as well check the window regulator and zip tie it? Thanks.

You would be adding a fair amount of time... But while you're in there :)

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

static667
12-09-2012, 07:58 PM
^^ I don't think that's his issue because he's able to open the door from the inside with the handle.

When mine ceases to work, its only the outside handle that won't work.

I didn't see that it would work when unlocked. You got me stumped on that one.

BavarianZHP
12-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Yeah, it's just an unlocking issue. I tried again today with the key manually from outside: I twisted it full turn, and I heard something fall inside the door, something small and rattled down the door. Oh well, it hasn't changed anything. Window still rolls up and down fine (I'm trying not to use it anymore) and I can still unlock the car with the outside handle if it's unlocked.