PDA

View Full Version : Natural Brown Leather Interior

wsmeyer
12-15-2012, 09:59 AM
I love the two tone black / brown interior, it's definitely my favorite and wish I had it in mine. It seems to be pretty rare in general and I've actually never seen a convertible with it so I think my chances of finding a used set in excellent shape is pretty remote. With that in mind I started wondering just how much it would cost to buy everything necessary to do it myself?

I tried looking up part numbers on realoem but I'm completely stumped. I can't make heads or tails out of all the color codes listed.

Also, is the "Natural Brown" interior always the two-tone black / brown or was there one that was all brown?

William.

johnrando
12-15-2012, 10:44 AM
No idea, but count me in as a helper if/when you start this project.

slowboat
12-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Natural brown is very uncommon (less than 10%) and it is always paired with black carpets and black trim. BMW did not produce brown carpets, center consoles, dashboards, seat trim etc...

When looking at RealOEM.com, upholstery code N6NG is NATURBRAUN. Search group 52: Seats. You'll find that some panels are no longer available through BMW.

Finding a used brown interior would be a holy grail find and buying it new and converting would be a megabuck$ custom job.

Chris

danewilson77
12-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Natural brown is very uncommon (less than 10%) and it is always paired with black carpets and black trim. BMW did not produce brown carpets, center consoles, dashboards, seat trim etc...

When looking at RealOEM.com, upholstery code N6NG is NATURBRAUN. Search group 52: Seats. You'll find that some panels are no longer available through BMW.

Finding a used brown interior would be a holy grail find and buying it new and converting would be a megabuck$ custom job.

Chris

Yes sir

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/ZHPInteriors.jpg

Hermes
12-15-2012, 11:08 AM
holiday sale on dye kits, $30 off

http://leatherique.com/

HokieZHP
12-15-2012, 01:41 PM
The beige is rarer than the natural brown??? I thought it was the other way around... SWEET!

UdubBadger
12-15-2012, 03:18 PM
www.car-part.com

auto recyclers are the best way to find um IMO.

Mtnman
12-15-2012, 04:22 PM
William,
If you are serious about it, you may want to call a car upholstery place. I had a nissan altima that my old st bernard tore up bad. It was leather. I had a shop in raleigh replace all of the leather on the seats front and back, the headliner, and the rear deck lid and it was only 1200. The leather was nicer than the original too. Basically, it might be cheaper than you think to just go have it done.

JupiterBMW
12-15-2012, 05:52 PM
William, you could sell your car and buy that other mystic blue/natural brown coupe that is on sale on E46f... The guy only wants a small fortune for it...

Seriously though, as far as your question, yes, natural brown is just the seats, and center sections of the doors. The rest of it is all black.

I'll sell you mine... I think David has the right idea... Your best bet would be to take the pieces in and have them match the natural brown with an aftermarket leather and do it that way...

Or, stick with your black leather so that my natural brown continues to be even more rare. :rofl

cakM3
12-15-2012, 07:29 PM
That's funny Jon! :biggrin

terraphantm
12-16-2012, 04:13 AM
The beige is rarer than the natural brown??? I thought it was the other way around... SWEET!

Only in ZHPs.

Beige (and gray) don't really go with the ZHP IMO. Replacing all the black bits with beige/grey clashes with the black headliner IMO.

wsmeyer
12-16-2012, 11:16 AM

Chris

Thanks!

I knew the color was called NATURBRAUN but I couldn't figure it out as I was looking for something that indicated two tone. About a year ago I was looking to buy a passenger seat cover set in black and I was able to find those as low as $475. What I am completely shocked to find out though is the price of the door panels - almost a thousand bucks for a door panel... WTF!?!?

Unless I ever come across a used set me thinks this project won't be happening lol

William.

wsmeyer
12-16-2012, 11:17 AM
holiday sale on dye kits, $30 off

http://leatherique.com/

I'm fairly certain if I went this route my results would be less than desirable

wsmeyer
12-16-2012, 11:27 AM
www.car-part.com

auto recyclers are the best way to find um IMO.

Thanks!

Lots of interesting stuff their but unfortunately there aren't any pictures and they don't break down the model into convertible.

If I did find a rear seat it looks like it would go for around $200 - at that price I would be willing to attempt dying it so this route is definitely a possibility.

William.

wsmeyer
12-16-2012, 11:30 AM
William, you could sell your car and buy that other mystic blue/natural brown coupe that is on sale on E46f... The guy only wants a small fortune for it...
l

Yes but how much would it cost to cut the top off and retrofit the soft top?

I actually saw a guy on e46 that might be able to help, at least he knows what NOT to cut now.

William.

NorCalZman
12-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Yes sir

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/ZHPInteriors.jpg

I find it interesting black leather was the most common in ZHPs. During my search I found mostly alcantara interiors (which I did not want).

danewilson77
12-16-2012, 12:34 PM
I find it interesting black leather was the most common in ZHPs. During my search I found mostly alcantara interiors (which I did not want).

That's just what is most common, with those registered at the Registry.

HokieZHP
12-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Only in ZHPs.

Beige (and gray) don't really go with the ZHP IMO. Replacing all the black bits with beige/grey clashes with the black headliner IMO.

To each their own I guess. I love the beige on black, I mean the exterior of my car is Jet black. The beige is definitely a bitch to keep clean though!

UdubBadger
12-16-2012, 01:47 PM
I agree.

Most common ones I've see with NB is black exterior. Classy combo. I can see why people would want beige too though, not everyone lives in cooler climates. Black interior in Phoenix is like $1000 off the value of a car when selling.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

johnrando
12-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Yes but how much would it cost to cut the top off and retrofit the soft top?

I actually saw a guy on e46 that might be able to help, at least he knows what NOT to cut now.

William.

:rofl.

@Chris, I like black on beige too but yup, too hard to keep a lighter color clean especially in a vert, so I was very happy to go black on black.

JupiterBMW
12-16-2012, 03:03 PM
I agree.

Most common ones I've see with NB is black exterior. Classy combo. I can see why people would want beige too though, not everyone lives in cooler climates. Black interior in Phoenix is like $1000 off the value of a car when selling.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Its funny you mention that because down here in South Florida, the dealer was telling me that one of their biggest sellers is black on black... Regardless of model, that's what sells... No way I'd own that down here...

HokieZHP
12-16-2012, 03:42 PM
:rofl.

@Chris, I like black on beige too but yup, too hard to keep a lighter color clean especially in a vert, so I was very happy to go black on black.

Luckily, I do a once over of my interior at least once a week so it's not bad :thumbsup

I've just always been a fan of black on tan, not sure why, just appeals to my eye. Mixes up the interior compared to a flat black everywhere

ELCID86
05-12-2014, 05:19 PM
So, I have the rear seats and 4 door cards to convert the 6MT car to Natty Brown. I'm thinking of dyeing the fronts since they are very hard to come by. WHile I'm at it instead of swapping the carpet JP suggested dying it. It is currently sand, so it should not be hard to do. Any thoughts on dyeing in black or perhaps natural brown?

Avetiso
05-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Dye it black. Brown would look out of place IMO.

"Arnold smoking a cigar in the Red Square; your argument is invalid." -Galaxy S5

mbeckel
05-12-2014, 05:43 PM
So, I have the rear seats and 4 door cards to convert the 6MT car to Natty Brown. I'm thinking of dyeing the fronts since they are very hard to come by. WHile I'm at it instead of swapping the carpet JP suggested dying it. It is currently sand, so it should not be hard to do. Any thoughts on dyeing in black or perhaps natural brown?

What color exterior?

Sent from in the bushes

alexandre
05-12-2014, 05:50 PM
+1 on black.

What color exterior?

Sent from in the bushes

Orient blue.

mbeckel
05-12-2014, 06:00 PM
+1 on black.

Orient blue.

Natty Brown would be insane! I'd go for it

Sent from in the bushes

Hermes
05-12-2014, 06:02 PM
My thinking is a natural brown interior with dark brown carpet and black floormats would look great, that is why I suggested dying the carpet a darker shade instead of ripping out the whole carpet to install black.

cakM3
05-12-2014, 06:20 PM

Honestly Shawn, I would just replace the carpeting rather than having them dyed... I had grey carpeting in my ///M and decided that it would be better just to replace the carpeting...I'm glad I did. I think replacing the carpeting is much quicker and you won't have to worry about the dye coming off the capering... just my two cents...

Hermes
05-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Honestly Shawn, I would just replace the carpeting rather than having them dyed... I had grey carpeting in my ///M and decided that it would be better just to replace the carpeting...I'm glad I did. I think replacing the carpeting is much quicker and you won't have to worry about the dye coming off the capering... just my two cents...

Well... the other issue has been locating a black carpet. I have been keeping an eye out here but no sedans have showed up at my buddies shop with black carpet yet. The one I got for my car is the first one I had seen in months. He hasn't had luck sourcing one back his way either. That is why the idea for dye came up. Perhaps between now and summer when the interior swap happens a black carpet will be sourced, but I think this would be a decent temporary solution until then. Even if the dye was to wear, it wouldn't be an issue as the carpet would eventually be replaced with a real black one

cakM3
05-12-2014, 07:01 PM
Well... the other issue has been locating a black carpet. I have been keeping an eye out here but no sedans have showed up at my buddies shop with black carpet yet. The one I got for my car is the first one I had seen in months. He hasn't had luck sourcing one back his way either. That is why the idea for dye came up. Perhaps between now and summer when the interior swap happens a black carpet will be sourced, but I think this would be a decent temporary solution until then. Even if the dye was to wear, it wouldn't be an issue as the carpet would eventually be replaced with a real black one

For coupes I know where you can source OEM black carpeting. Unfortunately, my source doesn't work on sedans so he doesn't have any black sedan carpeting in his inventory....

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

ELCID86
05-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks, I'll post a WTB here and on e46f and see how that works out. May also contact SMOLCK who helped me source the dash and other bits.

mbeckel
05-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Thanks, I'll post a WTB here and on e46f and see how that works out. May also contact SMOLCK who helped me source the dash and other bits.

He's been a ghost since he sold his zhp

Sent from in the bushes

Hermes
05-14-2014, 01:01 PM
He's probably still active on bimmerfest

ELCID86
05-14-2014, 01:23 PM

Sent from in the bushes

I have his phone.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

johnrando
05-15-2014, 10:03 AM

Sent from in the bushes

Was thinking the same thing.

ELCID86
05-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Was thinking the same thing.

Shad texted me back that he will try and source the carpet for me. He has a friend with a junkyard I think.

Hermes
05-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Cool!