PDA

View Full Version : Shadow line trim: wrapping?

BADCLOWN
12-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Well, my zhp is in overall excellent condition for an 04 but the shadow line trim has a few spots where it's fading or the finish is completely gone and now shiny.

Seems as though the trim new costs an arm and a leg and I don't want to replace it with flat black trim.

Has anyone seen or even done it themselves as far as vinyl wrapping the pieces to look brand new?

danewilson77
12-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Great question. Good seeing you around BC. Car still for sale?

nike001
12-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Post a picture.

Some polishing will definitely do it some good

Johnmadd
12-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Post a picture.

Some polishing will definitely do it some good

+1 Have you tried clay bar on it?

danewilson77
12-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Not going to do much with finish (Clear/glossy) that is gone.

BADCLOWN
12-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Great question. Good seeing you around BC. Car still for sale?

The e30 sold over the summer to someone in CT area. Sort of miss it but thoroughly happy it's gone and that chapter of my automotive life is closed haha. BC?

The areas where it's shiny are where the black material has been removed over time, polishing or clay baring wont make everything look brand new or take it back to normal. I guess the best way to put it is that the finish is damaged.

danewilson77
12-16-2012, 01:29 PM
..... BC?

= BadClown :)

BADCLOWN
12-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Gotcha haha, thanks. I've been browsing a little around these parts lately. Been looking at those coby wraps pretty hard too

danewilson77
12-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Gotcha haha, thanks. I've been browsing a little around these parts lately. Been looking at those coby wraps pretty hard too

Yeah....Coby does nice werk.

BADCLOWN
12-16-2012, 01:33 PM
The interior in that aspect would definitely benefit from that work. I sent him a PM for a quote today.

BADCLOWN
12-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Looks like a lot of newer BMW owners want the shadowline trim look and a few have wrapped. Can't find an e46 owner that has done it yet. I wonder how it holds up

MrMaico
12-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Check out these guys............. www.bmwshadowline.com

They even have a diy on installing.

alexandre
12-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Check out these guys............. www.bmwshadowline.com

They even have a diy on installing.

Been looking into this product as my right window trim is broken (a part fell off), new OEM is $500+ and there are virtually no ZHP's in Canada, much less at the local scrap yard. Might just get the flat black trim off a 320i and wrap it. Anyone ever tried these rolls ?

Avetiso
12-16-2012, 03:32 PM
I'd love to see shadowlines wrapped in 3M CF wrap.

Nomar06
12-16-2012, 03:33 PM
I helped wrap a buddies E46 sedan last year with some flat black vinyl. I don't know the brand but it was pretty thin stuff. The back section were it wraps down to the door is a pretty tricky part. Had to break out the heat gun and work it a few times. It looked ok in that section and pretty good for the rest.

Can't tell you how good it held up since the car was totaled a couple months later.

ryankokesh
12-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Mine's wrapped in 3m black gloss. Looks much better than before. I'll take some pics when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryankokesh
12-16-2012, 07:05 PM
So here's pre-wrap:
http://i.imgur.com/Agk9K.png

And this is post-wrap (sorry, had a heck of a time getting a decent photo. I'll do better in daylight)
http://i.imgur.com/xat4Z.jpg

alexandre
12-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Looks very nice! I assume it doesn't look like tape at all ? Might just rewrap both sides to make it look new.

ryankokesh
12-18-2012, 04:38 AM
Yeah, it's pretty hard to tell if you do it right. And you're right - do all of it even if it doesn't need it. Worst case you peel it off.

alexandre
12-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Probably what I'll do. Thanks!

BADCLOWN
12-18-2012, 10:56 AM
thank you for the pictures. its good to see an e46 wrapped. looks like it turned out very well.

did you just use a general gloss black vinyl? how long has it been since you did the work and how has it held up?

ryankokesh
12-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I used this stuff:
http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-1080-Scotchprint-Gloss-Black-Vinyl-p/gloss1080g12.htm

I ordered 60"x12" of it and had extra.

I put it on in April and it hasn't shown any signs of wear or fading yet. The UV layer is rated for 12 yrs though, so I wouldn't expect anything like that yet.

Also, I think there are cheaper black gloss vinyls out there, but I'd suggest going with 3M because of the air channels they use. Makes applying it without bubbles much much easier.

BADCLOWN
12-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Can't go wrong with 3M, their reputation speaks for itself.

Thanks a lot for your input good sir.

danewilson77
12-18-2012, 04:01 PM
The e30 sold over the summer to someone in CT area. Sort of miss it but thoroughly happy it's gone and that chapter of my automotive life is closed haha. BC?

The areas where it's shiny are where the black material has been removed over time, polishing or clay baring wont make everything look brand new or take it back to normal. I guess the best way to put it is that the finish is damaged.

Heck ya you miss it! You're still rocking the old sig. Needs ZHP update brah.

BADCLOWN
12-18-2012, 04:29 PM
I have ZERO good photos of my zhp, it's stock from what can be seen aesthetically aside from tint haha. It's nice to sign on here every so often and see the ole gal

danewilson77
12-18-2012, 04:32 PM
OK....grace given. I like creeping on her as well.

BADCLOWN
12-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Hey, if its against the rules I don't want to offend the zhp gods haha. My car has been good to me so far, don't want that bad karma haha

danewilson77
12-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Nope.....no rules regarding that whatsoever. We have someone here that has an Audi in their signature....hehe.

az3579
12-18-2012, 05:13 PM
I am so wrapping my roof and trim in this stuff. Thanks for the link, Ryan. :thumbsup

ryankokesh
12-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Haha, no problem! I've always wanted to try that too. Lol.

Bimmernut2
12-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Can't go wrong with 3M, their reputation speaks for itself.

Thanks a lot for your input good sir.

Hey BADCLOWN....I just saw your post about the Shadowline question and thought I'd comment if you don't mind.......I just added a hardtop to my convertible after having it painted to match. I asked the shop if they could paint the chrome trim glossy black & he told me "it wouldn't stick"...sooooo, I looked at the shadow line stuff and found the "Glossy black" tape and thought I'd give it a try. I ordered the 3" wide x 30', this was to do the chrome top side trim. Well, I received the package very quickly with 2 pages of printed instructions, just like the ones at their web site. After messing up 3x on the passenger side, I gave up. Maybe I should try a wider tape so that making the 45-60 deg turn at the back bottom would be easier. This stuff stick like nothing else. I cleaned as they recommended, but could not make the turns without getting a "kink" in it. I tried a hairdryer without any better luck. I wasn't sure if it was me or the tape, as it would not 'pop' up as mentioned in the instruction. I have sent 2 e-mails for assistance without any replies & there isn't any phone # to call for support, at least I can't find one.
The stuff looks great & should match the glossy finish of the ZHP package if I could get it on without screwing it up. Just my .02 worth.
Something else you might look at is the "shadow chrome wheel paint" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ziO0ZytLuE I bought some of this & painted a chrome license plate holder to see what it would look like & think this might be a possible answer