PDA

View Full Version : OEM iPod interface?

kakashi169
12-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Anyone got this who can share a bit of info about it? I tried to youtube or google some information but I got no actaul video footage of it. Is it any good?

Thanks.

BRGcoopahS
12-17-2012, 10:05 AM
I have it in mine. It works as it should. Plug it in, select mode on the dash, and control the songs on the steering wheel. You can either shuffle through all your songs, choose a particular album you want to play before you plug it in, or create up to 6 bmw playlists with songs of your choice. You choose the playlist by pressing 1-6 on the dash.

Only things you can't do are control the iPhone/iPod once it's plugged in (screen says "accessory connected"), and it won't tell you the song titles. Oh but it does work with an iPhone 5 if you buy apples adapter.

johnrando
12-17-2012, 10:29 AM
There are much more functional ipod interfaces out there, but what BRG said is spot on from everything I've read.

Hermes
12-17-2012, 10:37 AM
I have it in mine. It works as it should. Plug it in, select mode on the dash, and control the songs on the steering wheel. You can either shuffle through all your songs, choose a particular album you want to play before you plug it in, or create up to 6 bmw playlists with songs of your choice. You choose the playlist by pressing 1-6 on the dash.

Only things you can't do are control the iPhone/iPod once it's plugged in (screen says "accessory connected"), and it won't tell you the song titles. Oh but it does work with an iPhone 5 if you buy apples adapter.

what adapter is this you speak of... this was the main reason I didn't want to change phones

kakashi169
12-17-2012, 10:58 AM

I have the AUX in my car already and the ipod connector. Was thinking of letting it go but I don't know. Does it charge your phone too? I have the iphone 5 and its good to know that it works with the lightning adapter. Can you possible post up a video? I would really appreciate it.

what adapter is this you speak of... this was the main reason I didn't want to change phones

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MD823/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

This one.

BRGcoopahS
12-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Yea what he posted above is the adapter I was talking about. As for your question, no it doesn't charge the phone. It wouldn't even charge my old iPhone 4 without the adapter :/

Basically there are better options but if you want it oem, then it's good enough.

Johal E32
12-17-2012, 09:43 PM
USA Spec pa-12 is a great ipod/iphone hookup for e46's. It does everything you want to, song name, easy to use, steering wheel controls etc.. IDK if it charges the ipd/iphone though..

kakashi169
12-18-2012, 07:27 AM
USA Spec pa-12 is a great ipod/iphone hookup for e46's. It does everything you want to, song name, easy to use, steering wheel controls etc.. IDK if it charges the ipd/iphone though..

Thanks for your honest opinion about the OEM ipod. I think I might sell mine, I bought one from another fanatic and didn't install it yet.

Yea what he posted above is the adapter I was talking about. As for your question, no it doesn't charge the phone. It wouldn't even charge my old iPhone 4 without the adapter :/

Basically there are better options but if you want it oem, then it's good enough.

I heard about this USA spec product. Sounds like a good one.
Thanks

johnrando
12-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Is it USA spec that doesn't work w/Nav though?

dpark
03-18-2017, 07:12 AM
Reviving a very old thread.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the HW revision 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 for the factory iPod interface? The PNs also changed. Was curious if there was different functionality that was added in the different revs of hardware (and software).