PDA

View Full Version : Delayed Headlight Turning Off

Torxuvin
12-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Anyone ever noticed that their headlights sometimes take a second before they shut off? Every now and then when I turn the headlights off there will be a delay before they go out. What's up with that?

danewilson77
12-20-2012, 09:02 AM
It just takes some time for the circuit to discharge sometimes.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

328ioc
12-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Never my headlights but sometimes my angel eyes take a while to go out. I figured it was something like what Dane said.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BavarianZHP
12-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Mine are pretty instantaneous: fully stock, xenons.

JKO_ZHP
12-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Never my headlights but sometimes my angel eyes take a while to go out. I figured it was something like what Dane said.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Same with mine. (Orion V2s)
Usually I have time to open the door, get up and walk out, close the door, lock it, and still hear something whirring (AE's are still on).
They either turn off a few seconds then or up to a minute. But usually when they don't turn off in a couple sec, I just stick the key back in and turn it to position 2 for a sec, then pull it out. It's always shut off after a couple seconds whenever I've done that.

az3579
12-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Mine are instantaneous. The only thing that takes a while sometimes are my city lights, as I have them wired into my angel eye harness. That's only every once in a while. Not like it happens every other day.

Out of curiosity, when do you switch them off? Before or after turning the car fully off?

brettbimmer
12-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Apparently according to the Bentley manual, (since I have been reading this chapter as of late), if you turn off the ignition and then pull back on the turn signal stalk, we do get a way to illuminate the path into the house after dark which then times out after a programmed period of time (which can be set differently if desired). BP may be able to shed some additional 'light' here. :idea

az3579
12-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Apparently according to the Bentley manual, (since I have been reading this chapter as of late), if you turn off the ignition and then pull back on the turn signal stalk, we do get a way to illuminate the path into the house after dark which then times out after a programmed period of time (which can be set differently if desired). BP may be able to shed some additional 'light' here. :idea

Those are the "follow me home" lights. That is a feature that can be enabled or disabled at the user's discretion through coding at the dealer or from your friendly BMW junkie with the right computer and software. :)

He was saying his takes about a second to turn off. The follow me home lights I think stay on for a minute or more (perhaps 90 seconds?).

Torxuvin
12-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Mine are instantaneous. The only thing that takes a while sometimes are my city lights, as I have them wired into my angel eye harness. That's only every once in a while. Not like it happens every other day.

Out of curiosity, when do you switch them off? Before or after turning the car fully off?

That is a good question. Often I turn them off as I get into my parking garage. (while the car is still in gear driving)

Torxuvin
12-20-2012, 06:27 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

az3579
12-20-2012, 06:28 PM
That is a good question. Often I turn them off as I get into my parking garage. (while the car is still in gear driving)

Okay,
I think a relevant question would be: when you turn your lights off, do you turn them off all the way, or just down to the parking lights? Try to turn them off all the way as quickly as you possibly can and see if your instrument cluster lighting stays on for that additional second as well.

If the instrument cluster lighting stays on an additional second as well, then that tells me something with the headlight switch and/or LCM. If the cluster lighting goes off immediately but the Xenon stays on for that additional second, there could potentially be other factors at play. Do both lights go off at the same time, or one goes out before the other?

Once you can answer these questions, try to disconnect the battery for a good hour or so and plug it back in. See if the issue returns.

nike001
12-20-2012, 06:30 PM
^I thought it was either 15 or 30 seconds?

Torxuvin
12-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Okay,
I think a relevant question would be: when you turn your lights off, do you turn them off all the way, or just down to the parking lights? Try to turn them off all the way as quickly as you possibly can and see if your instrument cluster lighting stays on for that additional second as well.

If the instrument cluster lighting stays on an additional second as well, then that tells me something with the headlight switch and/or LCM. If the cluster lighting goes off immediately but the Xenon stays on for that additional second, there could potentially be other factors at play. Do both lights go off at the same time, or one goes out before the other?

Once you can answer these questions, try to disconnect the battery for a good hour or so and plug it back in. See if the issue returns.

The parking lights stay on as well. All lights go off at the same time. I have disconnected the battery for a time since the last time I noticed the lights doing it. I don't think it's really a problem, especially since it has always been less than a second. I just thought it was strange.

Side note: The lights always turn on immediately without any delay

az3579
12-20-2012, 06:34 PM
The parking lights stay on as well. All lights go off at the same time. I have disconnected the battery for a time since the last time I noticed the lights doing it. I don't think it's really a problem, especially since it has always been less than a second. I just thought it was strange.

Side note: The lights always turn on immediately without any delay

What about your instrument cluster lighting? Does that take a second to turn off as well?

Torxuvin
12-20-2012, 06:36 PM
What about your instrument cluster lighting? Does that take a second to turn off as well?

Yep. Everything

az3579
12-20-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm thinkin' LCM.
If you're not too worried about it, then just ignore it. Do monitor to see if it gets worse though. Time it now for how long it takes to turn off, and then just take a time measurement in a month, then another month, etc, for a few months. If it doesn't get any worse, you should be fine. Perhaps it's a "thing" of the older LCMs like yours? You have a 2003, so no auto headlights, which uses an older revision of LCM.

Torxuvin
12-20-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm thinkin' LCM.
If you're not too worried about it, then just ignore it. Do monitor to see if it gets worse though. Time it now for how long it takes to turn off, and then just take a time measurement in a month, then another month, etc, for a few months. If it doesn't get any worse, you should be fine. Perhaps it's a "thing" of the older LCMs like yours? You have a 2003, so no auto headlights, which uses an older revision of LCM.

I'm not particularly. They still work. I am used to cars having some personality. That is a good plan of action though. I will do that.

johnrando
12-20-2012, 07:57 PM
A little separate from the exact topic, but my angel eyes stay on for a bit after turning the car off so they act as a "follow me home" feature. They also turn on immediately when I unlock the car before I ever get in it. I use my AEs basically as DRLs as well as looks. So, that might be something you want to try if you're not into city lights.

Stu
12-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Pretty sure it's by design. The headlight switch is merely an indicator/input to the LCM, it does not actually switch anything on or off. The computer reads the position, evaluates it, then runs the corresponding program in relation to that switch position.

az3579
12-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Pretty sure it's by design. The headlight switch is merely an indicator/input to the LCM, it does not actually switch anything on or off. The computer reads the position, evaluates it, then runs the corresponding program in relation to that switch position.

If it was by design, they'd all do it. Most of our cars don't.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

Mr Paul
12-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Anyone ever noticed that their headlights sometimes take a second before they shut off? Every now and then when I turn the headlights off there will be a delay before they go out. What's up with that?

My car does exactly this, maybe once a week. I've not ever worried about it as I am sure there is a certain condition or sequence of events that causes it to happen and not that there is anything wrong.

BavarianZHP
12-21-2012, 04:49 PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with how long the headlights have been on? OP should monitor the issue and to try to reproduce it. If you (or anyone else can), I'll be glad to try the same thing.

Torxuvin
12-23-2012, 03:25 PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with how long the headlights have been on? OP should monitor the issue and to try to reproduce it. If you (or anyone else can), I'll be glad to try the same thing.

Interesting thought. I haven't noticed a specific length (or lack) of time.