PDA

View Full Version : Front two windows wont roll down!

Mbunnz
01-02-2013, 06:06 PM
I have a problem this moring my two front windows went down with no problems! A few hours later both the windows will not roll down, both of the back windows open still. Does anyone know what the problem could be and how i might fix it??

Thanks!!

3ZHPGUY
01-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Depending on your location, they could be frozen.

kayger12
01-02-2013, 06:48 PM

Yep. Been there before.

There's something you can put on the seals to keep them from freezing. Can't remember the name right now.

Mbunnz
01-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Yep. Been there before.

There's something you can put on the seals to keep them from freezing. Can't remember the name right now.

Ok thanks..... I will check into that or wait until we thaw!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

kayger12
01-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Ok thanks..... I will check into that or wait until we thaw!

We used to use Gummi Pflege, but then I remember reading that BMW got away from using it because it was drying the seals out.

If I can find the info I'll post it up.

M0nk3y
01-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Can I place dibs on GM5 module?

http://www.bmwgm5.com/

The GM5 is used to control a variety of different functions. Here is a list of functions this module controls:
By the way, this is also the list of things that won't work when the GM5 module is removed. The car will run and drive just fine except for the items listed below.
Power window control (up and down control of windows)
Remote entry (locking and unlocking via key fob and central locking button)
Trunk release (via key fob, handle button and interior trunk release button)
Vehicle alarm (siren, tilt & sonar sensors and clown nose light)
Windshield wiper and washer (both front and rear if equipped)
Interior lights

Ok, that's great, but, what's the deal with my door locks?
Most problems are either the door lock actuator assembly or the GM5 module. Sometimes the problem is hard to determine. For some reason, GM5 problems occur with unlocking much, much, more often than locking. Here are a few tell tale signs for determining which is the faulty part.
4-door - all 4 doors fail to unlock -> GM5
4-door - all 3 passenger doors fail to unlock -> GM5
4-door - only 1 of the passenger doors fails -> Actuator
2-door - both doors fail to work -> GM5
2-door - only the driver's door fails -> indeterminate
2-door - only passenger door fails -> indeterminate
Problem seems to be worse in hot or cold weather -> GM5
Fuel filler door doesn't unlock either -> GM5

This is of course if your window isn't frozen

Mbunnz
01-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Can I place dibs on GM5 module?

http://www.bmwgm5.com/

This is of course if your window isn't frozen

Will all that stuff be out? Or maybe just my windows? So far I have only had problems with my front windows

M0nk3y
01-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Will all that stuff be out? Or maybe just my windows? So far I have only had problems with my front windows

It will only be a part of what the GM5 controls, in your case, the windows.

As of now, I would continue to see if the problem continues or persists; I wouldn't go jumping the gun on a repair like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mbunnz
01-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the input.... I will see how it goes!

spoonerDee
01-05-2013, 05:56 AM
Does it make noise when you push the button but not move? I know when mine are frozen I'll hear the motor try, and very faint crackle noises as the glass pulls on the ice. Usually then I quickly pull the button to roll up so as not to break anything. If you hear noises, it's frozen. If you hear nothing, it could be anything from burnt out motors (very unlikely) to bad buttons, to the GM5.

Mbunnz
01-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Does it make noise when you push the button but not move? I know when mine are frozen I'll hear the motor try, and very faint crackle noises as the glass pulls on the ice. Usually then I quickly pull the button to roll up so as not to break anything. If you hear noises, it's frozen. If you hear nothing, it could be anything from burnt out motors (very unlikely) to bad buttons, to the GM5.

There is absolutely no noise. And when I am driving at fast speeds I can hear wind like whistling. And the Window feels very shakey. On the driver side anyways I haven't sat on the passenger side to see if it does the same.