PDA

View Full Version : Cluster Temperature Reading

das boots
01-14-2013, 08:18 AM
It has been so darn cold and chilly here lately, that whenever the Island Girl goes out, I get the ding of 37 deg. And sometimes, it's 38 deg. But the point here....is the cluster reading only goes down to 37 deg. and no lower? Wouldn't the temp. prod outside list the ambient temp. and show on the cluster reading? How do I make the cluster read the temp reading on the outside? Thanks.

danewilson77
01-14-2013, 08:19 AM
Nope.. It goes all the way down. You can't make it do it. By Design, your AAT sensor should be communicating outside air temp to cluster.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

johnrando
01-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Nope, it reads low. Coincidentally, have you seen this thread?

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5841-what-happened-the-first-time-your-37-Degree-alarm-went-off

danewilson77
01-14-2013, 08:23 AM

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5841-what-happened-the-first-time-your-37-Degree-alarm-went-off

What reads low?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

johnrando
01-14-2013, 08:26 AM
Typo, it reads lowER (as in lower than 37). I do that so often, thinking I'm typing one thing and looking back I've left letters off.

danewilson77
01-14-2013, 08:27 AM
But the point here....is the cluster reading only goes down to 37 deg. and no lower? No...it does not only go to 37*.

Wouldn't the temp. prod outside list the ambient temp. and show on the cluster reading? Yes...it should

How do I make the cluster read the temp reading on the outside? Thanks. You can't.

I was only answering whats in bold.

das boots
01-14-2013, 10:44 AM

I really don't mind on the dings that chimes on low temp at 37. I'm sorta used to it. It just gives my wife the hibbie-jivvies and start asking "what was that?" thing....What I am trying to get is how do we get the real time temp aside from the 37 deg read since I know it is way less than 37 deg? We had temps as low as 26 deg last few days and yet it would still read 37 deg?

johnrando
01-14-2013, 10:45 AM
In post #33 in that thread I show 29 degrees (through the grapevine), so it definitely should show lower temps.

terraphantm
01-14-2013, 10:55 AM
The reading should be able to go to -45 or so.

das boots
01-14-2013, 11:54 AM
The reading should be able to go to -45 or so.

Would this require re-programming? Would be really nice to get real time temp reading instead of having set low temp limits.....

Imola.ZHP
01-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Perhaps the sensor is bad? Mine read 28 this morning... It was 70 here about 36 hours ago...

Crickett
01-14-2013, 12:10 PM
No, no programming necessary; your OBC (dash) outside temperature reading is a real-time reading (actually an average over a short period to provide a smooth reading). If it didn't display less than 37 °F, that's because it didn't sense a temperature below 37 °F. Even if the weather in your area was reported as 26 °F, the air temp around the temperature sensor (under & behind one of the fog lights, I don't remember if it's left or right) apparently didn't get below 37 °F. And it's likely not broken as it would read either maximum high or low.

TL; DR your ambient air temperature gauge is functioning properly. :thumbsup

Imola.ZHP
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
^ good point on the min or max, my friends Jetta went max when hers went out...

das boots
01-14-2013, 06:25 PM
No, no programming necessary; your OBC (dash) outside temperature reading is a real-time reading (actually an average over a short period to provide a smooth reading). If it didn't display less than 37 °F, that's because it didn't sense a temperature below 37 °F. Even if the weather in your area was reported as 26 °F, the air temp around the temperature sensor (under & behind one of the fog lights, I don't remember if it's left or right) apparently didn't get below 37 °F. And it's likely not broken as it would read either maximum high or low.

TL; DR your ambient air temperature gauge is functioning properly. :thumbsup

Good point. But why is it always 37 deg? And I didn't even use the foggies. So, if I get a chime for 37 deg...I would just leave it alone and maybe watch it go lower or would it just stay at 37?

johnrando
01-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Watch it and it should show a lower temp if it reads/is lower than 37. The chime goes off at 37 as a warning but the actual temp read will show lower if it is actually colder. No reason for it to stop at 37 that I can think of unless something is wrong with the sensor.

das boots
01-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Watch it and it should show a lower temp if it reads/is lower than 37. The chime goes off at 37 as a warning but the actual temp read will show lower if it is actually colder. No reason for it to stop at 37 that I can think of unless something is wrong with the sensor.

Okay...got it. I usually reset after the chime. Now I know to just leave it alone.

BavarianZHP
01-14-2013, 10:18 PM
What do you reset after the chime? The temp gauge cannot be reset can it?

I think you think it always reads 37 degrees in part because you only look at the temp when the chime happens - which happens at 37 degrees. Take another look at it when it's colder - the temp gauge should be reading real time outside temp (temp by sensor anyways).

BavarianZHP
01-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Oh, and I vehemently hate the chime. It never fails to scare the sh!t out of me. I'll be driving along and then BAM! Chime, heart rate skyrockets, pupils dialate, I jerk the steering wheel, take a panic glance at the dash for flashing colors, catch my breath, then back on course.... EVERY time. LOL

danewilson77
01-15-2013, 05:05 AM
Okay...got it. I usually reset after the chime. Now I know to just leave it alone.

If you push in the button on the stalk it will make the chime stop. It doesn't reset anything. Temp will be displayed according to outside temp.

das boots
01-15-2013, 05:57 AM
If you push in the button on the stalk it will make the chime stop. It doesn't reset anything. Temp will be displayed according to outside temp.

Yes. Not reset. Just stops the chime. Bad choice of words. But anyways, I left it alone on the way to work a while ago....and it went to 29 deg. Now, that is cold....well, it has been really cold lately.

Another thing I notice.....when it I use the 'UP' vent arrow only for the windshield, and when it is cold outside, I get heat blowing. I do not know if there is a sensor that senses the cold temp and automatically vents heat. But when it is of warm temp, then I get cool air blowing. Is this a part of the cold weather package?

With the cold chill lately, Thank You heated seats.

echo46
01-15-2013, 06:03 AM
Every time the chime goes off, my kids ask me why. I have to explain that the learned builders at the Bavarian Motor Works felt compelled to warn little boys that it is getting cold out there so make sure you have your coat on.

johnrando
01-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Every time the chime goes off, my kids ask me why. I have to explain that the learned builders at the Bavarian Motor Works felt compelled to warn little boys that it is getting cold out there so make sure you have your coat on.

Good one! :)

llll1l1ll
01-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Y'all are so jumpy. I hear the chime all the time and don't even flinch.

Anyway, for actual thread content: mine reads below 37 all the time. I've noticed that when I'm driving, it'll read higher than ambient simply because no air is getting to it. Once I stop, the ambient air seeps in and then it reads actual temp.

Sockethead
01-15-2013, 12:21 PM
It should definitely go below 37... there is no programming involved