PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Leather Seat Repair

CkDedmon
01-14-2013, 10:21 PM
I have a low mileage ZHP, but I've noticed some wear issues on the driver's leather seat.

It seams like the leather of the seat bottom is pulling away from the thigh support (see arrow in photo above). The corner of the thigh support is also losing its form in this same area.

- Has anyone experienced this with their sport seats?

- Could these issues be as simple as "re-pulling" the leather? (I've heard the leather covers have a number of clips...maybe some came loose?)

- Could it be an issue with the foam deteriorating under the leather? (With >30,000 miles, I would be surprised at this.)

I'd like to address these things to keep wear down to a minimum. I can certainly replace the leather bottom, but I don't want to spend $500+ if it really isn't necessary.

Thanks in advance!

az3579
01-16-2013, 07:00 AM
That looks to me like the bolster could be the one that's crooked. The lines on the leather appear to be parallel. Try to see if you can get that part of the bolster back more. The gap on the closest part of the bolster in that pic also looks like it has a gap to the side bolster.

llll1l1ll
01-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Somewhat related: can you "reform" the bolsters? A really fat guy had the car before me and it kind of made the bolsters all wide.

az3579
01-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Somewhat related: can you "reform" the bolsters? A really fat guy had the car before me and it kind of made the bolsters all wide.

If I remember correctly, the side bolsters have a metal frame. Perhaps bending that frame back will tighten them up.

llll1l1ll
01-17-2013, 04:57 AM
Hmm... Should I just bend it by pushing on the bolster, or do I actually have to disassemble the seat?

az3579
01-17-2013, 06:23 AM
Hmm... Should I just bend it by pushing on the bolster, or do I actually have to disassemble the seat?

I think you'd have to disassemble the seat. The frame is surrounded by foam, leather, and perhaps something else. If you push on it as-is, all you're really doing is pushing on the leather and foam. The frame needs direct contact to be bent on the spot. Are you sure it's bent? Have you sat in another E46 with sport package to compare? One thing I noticed immediately coming from an E30 with sport seats is that the E30 had much tighter bolsters than the E46 does. The E46 ones are relaxed a little to be more comfortable.

CkDedmon
01-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Appreciate the feedback. I took a closer look at my seat last night, and it doesn't appear that the thigh support or bolster are out of alignment...at least when I visually compare it to the passenger seat, which looks almost perfect.

It looks like I'll probably go down the road of replacing the leather cover...when I have some disposable income! I may also swap out the foam insert at the same time (I think that piece is pretty inexpensive).

Anyone actually purchased a new OEM leather cover for the seat bottom? Or do most recover a leather cover from salvaged seats?

nike001
01-17-2013, 09:44 AM
The weight of you - or your ass (:rofl) is making the leather stretch and thus pulling it away from the thigh support.

I'd imagine that to fix it, the person who reupholsters it would have to take it all apart and pull it back to where it was.. and then patch it back up. But it will probably stretch back from you sitting in the seat.

illirep
01-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Your seats look to be in better condition than most e46 sport seats I've seen. Mine are a little more worn than that on the bottom. I was lucky that my side bolster is virtually unworn however - those can get really nasty!

I've always been wondering how dealers repair rips in leather - I've heard of them taking leather from obscure places elsewhere in the vehicle, as in under the seat or back of seat, etc, and somehow fusing it into the damaged area. Or they replace the whole panel from seam to seam

I've been wondering if you buy the oem alcantara seat covers and replace the leather with them. Has anyone done that?

az3579
01-17-2013, 05:07 PM
You can definitely do that if you want to. The seat covers can be obtained as one piece, so all you'd have to do is undo a bunch of hog rings or whatever they're called, take the old cover off, slip the new one on, and voila. BMW does make it easy, though what they charge for a single seat cover is astronomical.

danewilson77
01-17-2013, 05:11 PM
That is not an easy diy. I would veture to say 10/10.

I would rather do a clutch.:shifty

Have you ever attempted this repair BP? It's a friggen nightmare.

Oli77
01-17-2013, 05:23 PM
I was quoted ~$400 to have the thigh bolster (side) recovered with leatherette. Oddly enough the whole seat bottom cushion part (where our butts go) was $550. This is with leatherette though.

az3579
01-17-2013, 05:31 PM
That is not an easy diy. I would veture to say 10/10.

I would rather do a clutch.:shifty

Have you ever attempted this repair BP? It's a friggen nightmare.

Are you referring to changing the seat cover? Is it really that bad?
A DIY I read seemed to make it sound easy. This is the one I'm referring to:
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787676

Specifically, what part about it is difficult?

danewilson77
01-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Are you referring to changing the seat cover? Is it really that bad?
A DIY I read seemed to make it sound easy. This is the one I'm referring to:
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787676

Specifically, what part about it is difficult?

The hog clips are insanely hard to bend. I had to cut the seat apart to get the mat sensor out. I actually was making a diy for the cover removal, and couldn't do it. I quit.

Others certainly may have better luck though.

az3579
01-17-2013, 08:37 PM
The hog clips are insanely hard to bend. I had to cut the seat apart to get the mat sensor out. I actually was making a diy for the cover removal, and couldn't do it. I quit.

Others certainly may have better luck though.

You don't give me high hopes of doing the occupancy mat sensor as a DIY. =\

danewilson77
01-18-2013, 05:50 AM
I have a working mat if your interested. Yeah.....I had this problem in the TiAg.

echo46
01-18-2013, 05:53 AM
That seat looks pretty good to me.

llll1l1ll
01-18-2013, 06:10 AM
I think you'd have to disassemble the seat. The frame is surrounded by foam, leather, and perhaps something else. If you push on it as-is, all you're really doing is pushing on the leather and foam. The frame needs direct contact to be bent on the spot. Are you sure it's bent? Have you sat in another E46 with sport package to compare? One thing I noticed immediately coming from an E30 with sport seats is that the E30 had much tighter bolsters than the E46 does. The E46 ones are relaxed a little to be more comfortable.

I guess that must be my issue. My E30 had excellent side bolsters. I guess I just feel these aren't tight enough which is making me think they are bent, which they probably are not bent.

az3579
01-18-2013, 06:41 AM
I have a working mat if your interested. Yeah.....I had this problem in the TiAg.

Definitely interested, but that's LAST on my things to do. Budget is stupid tight. :(

I guess that must be my issue. My E30 had excellent side bolsters. I guess I just feel these aren't tight enough which is making me think they are bent, which they probably are not bent.

They most likely aren't bent. They still hold you in while corning, right? Your bum shouldn't move at all, unless you're really skinny.

llll1l1ll
01-18-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm kinda skinny. I don't shift at all in the seat, though. I think it must just be in my head.

Nothing will ever compare to the sport seats in my E30.

illirep
01-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Just learned cost of buying seat covers is in the neighborhood of $3k. And that diesnt include door panels. Much more economical to buy the set used for under $1k.

CkDedmon
01-18-2013, 03:32 PM
I just spent a good chunk of time talking with my parts guy at the local BMW dealership...he suggested that I pay a visit to the upholstery shop they use in the neighborhood before replacing the entire cover. I'm heard good things about this guy...hoping he can work a little magic for much less than new covers.

I've also done some more research on the heated seat retrofit front. Looks like you can still get a heated seat retrofit kit, which includes the switch panel and all wiring to get to the seats. Using a local custom install place, I'm hoping I might pair this with some aftermarket heating elements in the seats to give a factory look. It will still come down to overall cost.

I'll let you guys know what I find out...

danewilson77
01-18-2013, 04:54 PM
I just spent a good chunk of time talking with my parts guy at the local BMW dealership...he suggested that I pay a visit to the upholstery shop they use in the neighborhood before replacing the entire cover. I'm heard good things about this guy...hoping he can work a little magic for much less than new covers.

I've also done some more research on the heated seat retrofit front. Looks like you can still get a heated seat retrofit kit, which includes the switch panel and all wiring to get to the seats. Using a local custom install place, I'm hoping I might pair this with some aftermarket heating elements in the seats to give a factory look. It will still come down to overall cost.

I'll let you guys know what I find out...

Subscribed......to this post.

CkDedmon
01-18-2013, 07:38 PM
I guess the pressure is on now! Don't hold your breath, but I'll definitely provide feedback...

NorCalZman
05-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Sorry for bringing this old post back from the dead, but I just learned about this heated seat retrofit kit. Do our cars come with heating elements installed already, kind of like we are prewired for all the other car options, or does the cost for this retrofit kit not include putting in heating elements?

Edit: read through the document. Would've been nice if it was plug n play