PDA

View Full Version : New Member from New Jersey

Costello23
01-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Well, its been a very interesting past few months looking for a car. I was searching daily for an older car that I could use as my daily driver, but at the same time have a blast driving it. All the cars I've owned in the past were Japanese only because I knew no better, working at a Lexus Dealership and the mechanics telling me how good Toyota/Lexus was. Yes, they are good for what they are known for, reliability, but, no matter what car you compared to the Lexus to it seemed BMW always came out on top. So, after searching the internet one day I came across a BMW that I never saw before and just thought some kid probably put a body kit on it and slapped some nice rims on it. Then I came across a few more that looked alike just different colors. After reading the description "Rare ZHP Performance Package" on one of the cars, I quickly goggled ZHP and this site happens to be the second Google search result.

Long story short, Ever since my first encounter with this site, I have been reading as much as I can about the ZHP on the forums and scouring the internet looking for my "NOT SPECIAL" 330i. I love how much information is out there on the e46 in general from DIY oil change to changing the spark plugs. I am anxious to find my ZHP and dive into the DIY world.

Thanks for letting me be apart of this special community you have!
-Brian

danewilson77
01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Welcome.

Good luck in your hunt.

Torxuvin
01-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Welcome. Yes, it makes a fantastic fun little DD.

328ioc
01-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Good luck finding a car.

Where are you located in Jersey? I have seen a few for sale there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Avetiso
01-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Welcome to the world of ZHP's!

Bring money.

Costello23
01-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Hamilton, NJ..Near Trenton, Princeton.

Costello23
01-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Welcome to the world of ZHP's!

Bring money.

Thanks..Yes, I have took notice of how expensive the car is with over 100k miles. and all of the work that most likely will have to be done.

kayger12
01-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Welcome to the site, Brian.

Good luck with your hunt.

I'm about an hour east of you in Ocean County.

Costello23
01-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Good luck finding a car.

Where are you located in Jersey? I have seen a few for sale there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I am actually in talks with someone from up north Jersey who has a 2003 alpine white, alcantara, manual with 136k miles. I m supposed to check it at this weekend. Just a little scared of all the miles, never purchased a car with over 100k miles before. I usually sold when they got near 100k.

Costello23
01-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Welcome to the site, Brian.

Good luck with your hunt.

I'm about an hour east of you in Ocean County.

Thanks..Hope you got through sandy unharmed.

kayger12
01-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Thanks..Hope you got through sandy unharmed.

Made it through well, thanks.

I'm less than 1.5 miles from the water but about 40 feet above sea level on my street (nice hill). Carnage everywhere around us. We were very fortunate.

Costello23
01-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Made it through well, thanks.

I'm less than 1.5 miles from the water but about 40 feet above sea level on my street (nice hill). Carnage everywhere around us. We were very fortunate.

Yea, its a shame. I m about 45 minutes from the ocean and we had a lot of shingles missing the next morning. Hope they are able to rebuild before the summer. Nothing like the Jersey shore in the summer!

echo46
01-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Don't worry so much about the miles. These engines will drive for many more miles . Worry more about the maintenance. Ask for detailed maintenance records such as oil changes, type of oil used, cooling system refresh, suspension refresh, brakes, rotors, vanos refresh, belts, tensioners, CCV hoses, upper and lower intake boots, icv and MAF clean. Those are the basics. Make sure some if not all has been addressed on a car with this mileage. If not and the car is in really good condition, you have some bargaining.

kayger12
01-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Amen. LBI is in great shape. A lot of the businesses over there are already repaired and open again-- or at least close.

Seaside and the northern part are going to be a different story, though, I think. So much more damage up there.

Mantoloking is still in the stone ages-- no electricity, water, sewer, gas. Nada. Crazy.

Costello23
01-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Don't worry so much about the miles. These engines will drive for many more miles . Worry more about the maintenance. Ask for detailed maintenance records such as oil changes, type of oil used, cooling system refresh, suspension refresh, brakes, rotors, vanos refresh, belts, tensioners, CCV hoses, upper and lower intake boots, icv and MAF clean. Those are the basics. Make sure some if not all has been addressed on a car with this mileage. If not and the car is in really good condition, you have some bargaining.

Thanks to this site and Dane's thread on what to look out for when purchasing, I asked all of the questions and he said he thinks its still on the original water pump and belts and that it had an extended maintenance plan and all maintenance was completed by the dealer.

Fender215
01-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Hey man,

Welcome, I'm also a new member on my search. Originally from Jersey too.

I sent you a pm with a very good car I saw up in Flanders NJ a few weeks ago, it's also listed on the zhpregistry...lot of records, great owner...

http://www.zhpregistry.net/forsale/DisplayListing.aspx?id=220

Cheers!
Raj

brettbimmer
01-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Welcome! You may check with Jon (JupiterBMW) as he may know the car in question which you are looking at. He just purchased an AW example.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Costello23
01-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Amen. LBI is in great shape. A lot of the businesses over there are already repaired and open again-- or at least close.

Seaside and the northern part are going to be a different story, though, I think. So much more damage up there.

Mantoloking is still in the stone ages-- no electricity, water, sewer, gas. Nada. Crazy.

WOW, I heard there are still people without power and hotels in the area were kicking people out because of conference they had scheduled months before sandy hit, so people were forced to sleep in there cars.

I was actually in LBI in September for a week right on the ocean. The pictures of seaside are just a shame. haven't gone there in a few years but practically grew up there and wildwood every summer. Actually enjoy going to Pt. Pleasant these days. More family oriented then seaside.

echo46
01-15-2013, 05:25 PM
You should definitely do the water pump and thermostat ASAP. Extended maintenance is good but I will bet still original control arm bushings, struts and shocks. These are at or past the end of their useful life. Ask about the radiator, hoses and expansion tank. Also see if the intake boots are original. Is there any RPM bounce at idle? Ask now or forever hold your peace, my brother.

Costello23
01-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Welcome! You may check with Jon (JupiterBMW) as he may know the car in question which you are looking at. He just purchased an AW example.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thanks.. I will check in with him. He hasn't advertised his car for sale in a few months, not sure why. Only seen it on CL back in October.

Costello23
01-15-2013, 05:28 PM
You should definitely do the water pump and thermostat ASAP. Extended maintenance is good but I will bet still original control arm bushings, struts and shocks. These are at or past the end of their useful life. Ask about the radiator, hoses and expansion tank. Also see if the intake boots are original. Is there any RPM bounce at idle? Ask now or forever hold your peace, my brother.

LOL. Thanks for the advice. I will definitely take all theses great notes up there this weekend.

echo46
01-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Good. Also make sure all the locks work, all the windows function, all the doors open. does he have both keys? Check the weather stripping around the rear doors. Check for spare, jack and the tool box on the trunk. Check the date on the battery in the trunk. If I think of anything else I will send you a note.

Oli77
01-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Hi Brian, and hope that stellar car ends up in you driveway/ garage soon.

Costello23
01-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Hi Brian, and hope that stellar car ends up in you driveway/ garage soon.

Thanks. I m not rushing. Not sure if I want that high a mileage or spend a little more to get a lower mileage one. I m not even sure what color to get. One day I like this color the next is that color. I just love the car!

static667
01-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Welcome to the Mafia! Good luck on your search.

johnrando
01-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Welcome Brian. GL finding your "not special" zhp.

cakM3
01-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Welcome Brian :thumbsup

If you're willing to put in some work you can find some ZHPs in not so perfect condition that you can get cheaper for a project car and then "refinish" it to your standards... this is what I did when I found my ZHP and am having tons of fun rebuilding her...:)

Good luck on your search and if you have any questions be sure to ask....you won't get flamed like you see in other BMW forums...not here :thumbsup

Costello23
01-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Welcome Brian :thumbsup

If you're willing to put in some work you can find some ZHPs in not so perfect condition that you can get cheaper for a project car and then "refinish" it to your standards... this is what I did when I found my ZHP and am having tons of fun rebuilding her...:)

Good luck on your search and if you have any questions be sure to ask....you won't get flamed like you see in other BMW forums...not here :thumbsup

Thanks. I'm not that handy with a wrench but with all the DIY I have come across I'm not afraid to give it a shot. And if I mess something up, I'll just have to give my uncle, who is a mechanic, a call. I actually don't belong to any another forums and this is the first one I have ever joined and really wanted to because of the comrodory who guys have.

zhpnsnv
01-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Welcome! I have a place down in east Windsor. Stomped all over that area with my former ZHP. Let me know if you need help in your search.

Costello23
01-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Welcome! I have a place down in east Windsor. Stomped all over that area with my former ZHP. Let me know if you need help in your search.

HaHa. Thanks. WOW, you are really close to me. small world

Torxuvin
01-16-2013, 05:00 AM
Thanks. I'm not that handy with a wrench but with all the DIY I have come across I'm not afraid to give it a shot. And if I mess something up, I'll just have to give my uncle, who is a mechanic, a call. I actually don't belong to any another forums and this is the first one I have ever joined and really wanted to because of the comrodory who guys have.

We all have to start somewhere. You can do it!

And I agree with Charlie. Project car (within reason) ftw. The more I fix, the more satisfaction I feel.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-16-2013, 06:50 AM
Welcome.

Costello23
01-16-2013, 07:00 AM

And I agree with Charlie. Project car (within reason) ftw. The more I fix, the more satisfaction I feel.

The guy sent me a lot of photos if you are interested in viewing them.

Costello23
01-16-2013, 07:02 AM
Welcome.

Thanks. So far its better being apart of the site then just lurking in the background.

danewilson77
01-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Thanks. So far its better being apart of the site then just lurking in the background.

I concur.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-16-2013, 08:00 AM

Not surprised. Lots of really nice people here. Very non special and very friendly.

jayjay_dee
01-16-2013, 09:00 AM

The more I fix, the more satisfaction I feel.

^^ THIS...

and welcome, im from NJ too...

illirep
01-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Welcome from one new Hamilton, NJ member to another. I wonder if you have seen my silver gray ZHP sedan driving around town.

I can help you find a clean ZHP - I'm very experienced in BMW's, and more importantly, have owned several ZHP's! I know what to look for, listen for, feel for, etc. Send me a PM if you are interested in my help.

Costello23
01-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Welcome from one new Hamilton, NJ member to another. I wonder if you have seen my silver gray ZHP sedan driving around town.

I can help you find a clean ZHP - I'm very experienced in BMW's, and more importantly, have owned several ZHP's! I know what to look for, listen for, feel for, etc. Send me a PM if you are interested in my help.

Thanks.. I really have only took notice to them a few months ago and have only seen one, a white convertible around town..I will Definetly take you up on your offer..

Ryans323i
01-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Welcome. Wishing the best finding the right ZHP for you!