PDA

View Full Version : License plate bumper holder thingie

Dathaeus
01-22-2013, 02:58 PM
As u guys can see, I have this ugly big license plate holder on my front bumper, not sure what part that is called. It seems like it is a separate piece from the rest of the bumper. Does that easily pop off with a tug, and where's the best place to get a replacement?

Of course any out of the box suggestions to improve the look etc. would also be appreciated, although I cannot immediately imagine anything there that would enhance the aesthetics besides getting that horrid black piece off. I dont have any plans on moving back to NYC soon so.....

BimmerWill
01-22-2013, 03:02 PM
You can get a replacement insert at the dealership for around $15 I think. Im on tapatalk so I can't see the pic but that was one of the first things I changed on my car. Old one pops out and new one pops back in. Shouldn't take more than ten minutes just take your time to avoid scratching the paint.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

BavarianZHP
01-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Yep, easily pulls off. You'll need anything with a flat plastic blade to push the tabs located the ends of the trim piece first. It can be a little tough, so be careful and forceful. If your state doesn't require front plates I have a "bumper delete" that I could sell you. It's just the trim piece to fill it in without the license plate holder - best look IMO.

Oli77
01-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Bought mine from bavauto.

You can slide each side piece (located on either side of the center plate holding piece) a little bit to the right and left.

This exposes the center piece a little more and then it comes off pretty easy.

The warmer the day, the easier it is to do.

Torxuvin
01-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Bought mine from bavauto.

You can slide each side piece (located on either side of the center plate holding piece) a little bit to the right and left.

This exposes the center piece a little more and then it comes off pretty easy.

The warmer the day, the easier it is to do.

Got mine there too. Easy way to improve the look of the car

nike001
01-22-2013, 05:06 PM
+1 for bav auto

alexandre
01-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Part #51118195304. $16-17 at most online retailers. Probably not much more at your local dealer. Pop license holder out, pop new trim in, done. Takes literally 2 minutes.

Fender215
01-22-2013, 08:52 PM
I was just looking for that ugly thing today, my state will require that I have a front plate, any chance I can get that from you if you don't need it? I couldn't find where to get it new.

Cheers

Dathaeus
01-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Part #51118195304. $16-17 at most online retailers. Probably not much more at your local dealer. Pop license holder out, pop new trim in, done. Takes literally 2 minutes.

Bavauto and ECStuning are both $30 shipped... where do u see it for $16? Pelican was even more.

I was just looking for that ugly thing today, my state will require that I have a front plate, any chance I can get that from you if you don't need it? I couldn't find where to get it new.

Hows your current one, I'll be willing to trade for your license deleted bumper... I wont toss it bec I may move back to NYC at some point, not sure when though.

Torxuvin
01-23-2013, 04:29 AM
If you guys need to run a front plate, look at tow hook mounts. Or this http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?6468-10-No-hole-License-Plate-Mod&highlight=license+plate+mount

I really dislike the stock one. Looks like a bad mustache

BimmerWill
01-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Bavauto and ECStuning are both $30 shipped... where do u see it for $16? Pelican was even more.

Hows your current one, I'll be willing to trade for your license deleted bumper... I wont toss it bec I may move back to NYC at some point, not sure when though.

Call your local dealer. See what they want for it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2