PDA

View Full Version : Helping to shop for a 5

Asiah119
01-23-2013, 10:17 AM
One of my friends just killed his Landrover Discovery; he gold the old chocolate milk treatment. The repairs were going to be a few thousand more than the car is worth, so I'm helping him on his odyssey for a new car.

I'm trying to talk him into a 3 of a 5 series. I know the E46's quirks and bugs fairly well by now, but dont know much about the E39 and less about the e60. Do you fine gents have anything to pass on that I should be on the look out for? One of my friends has mentioned that the V8s werent the best, reliability wise, but he may just have a big soft one for the I6s.

Hermes
01-23-2013, 12:23 PM
sounds like time for an E39 530i

Asiah119
01-23-2013, 12:28 PM
He's bouncing between the E39 and E46. I've been trying to explain to him that Bimmers have a different build quality than Honda. There are two E39 540i in the general area. I just don't know anything about that V8.

Torxuvin
01-23-2013, 12:42 PM
I can't imagine that either would be worse than owning a Landrover

Asiah119
01-23-2013, 01:11 PM

Quite true. Apparently one of the recurring electrical\sensor glitches is so common that the Landrover forums have created a catchy name for it.

Sockethead
01-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Good choices... the e39 and e46 are some ofthe last of the relatively uncomplicated BMWs.
e39 with the 3 liter has all the same issues as the e46 with the 3 liter. The 4.4 V8 is pretty reliable but I believe all the V8s of that era have an issue with the alternator bracket leaking oil. It's a 9 hr job by the book but it can be DIYd, it's just a PITA. Valve cover gaskets are the typical BMW. Suspension has the typical bushing issues.
Stay away from the air suspension.When it goes bad, it's a nightmare to fix.... we've spent thousands on the air suspension on our X5 and it's still not fixed.

Asiah119
01-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the suspension.

terraphantm
01-23-2013, 01:40 PM
My biggest fear with the V8 model would be the timing chain guides. I don't think the M5 has that particular issue though

Torxuvin
01-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Stay away from the air suspension.When it goes bad, it's a nightmare to fix.... we've spent thousands on the air suspension on our X5 and it's still not fixed.

+1 It keeps me from looking at used E55 amgs too closely every time I start to stray

BCS_ZHP
01-23-2013, 03:26 PM
On the e39 540, underneath the intake manifold are two relatively minor maintenance items but you have to remove the damn intake manifold to get to them. Removing the intake manifold is a 5 hour job. Underneath is a oil return line that hardens and should be replaced every 90-100K miles. Also the valley pan gasket, can get a coolant leak here but you can't find the leak unless you remove the intake manifold.

Suspension with sacrificial rubber bushings was already mentioned but its more expensive to correct this on an e39 as compared to a e46 as there are more bushings and they are twice as expensive, thus about 4x the cost of an e46.

Cooling system needs a refresh just like the e46s, there is a rear cooling manifold on the back side of the heads which makes this tricky on a 540. Costs a bit more and takes a little bit longer to accomplish than the e46 cooling refresh.

On the timing chain, there are externally accessible timing chain tensioners that are easy to replace and should be done by 80-100K miles. If they aren't done when needed, then the internal timing chain guides get eaten up. Now you have to pull the timing chain covers, basically the whole front of the engine, lots of labor and hope your timing chains and gears aren't damaged, or even more money.

I know where a 2000-2002 530i 5 speed with sport package is located here in northern VA, PM me if interested and I'll feed you the guy's number.

Asiah119
01-24-2013, 06:30 AM
I know where a 2000-2002 530i 5 speed with sport package is located here in northern VA, PM me if interested and I'll feed you the guy's number.

I'm going to put that on hold for now, my pal is being flighty and I don't want to get that guy on the line if my friend is just going to turn around 10 minutes later and go with something else.

Late last night he sent me a link to a 99 e46 with 150k miles that had been wrecked, fixed by a mennonite guy in the next town for $5k. After I told him to stop being cheap he started showing me Subaru outbacks that he was looking at.

So, yeah.

BCS_ZHP
01-24-2013, 08:36 AM
If it helps, I think the under 100K mile 530 5 spd can be bought for under $10K, didn't ask that part

Imola.ZHP
01-25-2013, 04:35 AM

Absolutely!

Good choices... the e39 and e46 are some ofthe last of the relatively uncomplicated BMWs.
e39 with the 3 liter has all the same issues as the e46 with the 3 liter. The 4.4 V8 is pretty reliable but I believe all the V8s of that era have an issue with the alternator bracket leaking oil. It's a 9 hr job by the book but it can be DIYd, it's just a PITA. Valve cover gaskets are the typical BMW. Suspension has the typical bushing issues.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I've been itching (again) for an e53. I'll stay away from the air suspension models...

----

BMW mechanic friends keep telling me to stay away from high (100k+) BMW v8's. Nothing specific though, but I like to work on my own vehicles and have become somewhat familiar with my 3.0. This might also be their motivation for saying this. I really want an e53 4.8is (Imola Red of course) but I'm scared. Thinking about going with an Alpine White 3.0 and then just mod it to look similar to a 4.8is...

Sockethead
01-25-2013, 05:42 AM
Absolutely!

Thanks for the heads up on this, I've been itching (again) for an e53. I'll stay away from the air suspension models...

----

BMW mechanic friends keep telling me to stay away from high (100k+) BMW v8's. Nothing specific though, but I like to work on my own vehicles and have become somewhat familiar with my 3.0. This might also be their motivation for saying this. I really want an e53 4.8is (Imola Red of course) but I'm scared. Thinking about going with an Alpine White 3.0 and then just mod it to look similar to a 4.8is...

Well, if you want a 4.8is it only comes with full air suspension. I think the 4.6 and 4.4 with the option have rear air suspension only. The most important thing about these susupensions is that the airbags start leaking and if you don't replace them right away. The whole system goes to hell... The air bags thmselves are really easy to swap out and if you get them from Arnott in FLA, they are 1/3 of the cost of OEM

If you drive a 4.8is, I guarantee that no other model will do after that test drive. It's an incredible machine. If you find an e53 you like and get serious about buying it, shoot me or Kpro a PM. We'll help you out. We know a lot about the e53 and Kpro works for a dealership. we can run the VIN for you...

Imola.ZHP
01-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Well, if you want a 4.8is it only comes with full air suspension. I think the 4.6 and 4.4 with the option have rear air suspension only. The most important thing about these susupensions is that the airbags start leaking and if you don't replace them right away. The whole system goes to hell... The air bags thmselves are really easy to swap out and if you get them from Arnott in FLA, they are 1/3 of the cost of OEM

If you drive a 4.8is, I guarantee that no other model will do after that test drive. It's an incredible machine. If you find an e53 you like and get serious about buying it, shoot me or Kpro a PM. We'll help you out. We know a lot about the e53 and Kpro works for a dealership. we can run the VIN for you...

Thanks for the additional info and offering to help!

I haven't yet driven any e53's, but was planning to drive a local 3.0 (non sport) this weekend. It's not loaded like I would want, but I'd like to still drive it and see if it feels underpowered or not...

If I can be happy with a 3.0, then I'll find one and mod it to look similar to a 4.8is. If the 3.0 seems overwhelmed, then I dunno, I might just sit back and wait for a low-mileage v8 to come up for sale...

terraphantm
01-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the additional info and offering to help!

I haven't yet driven any e53's, but was planning to drive a local 3.0 (non sport) this weekend. It's not loaded like I would want, but I'd like to still drive it and see if it feels underpowered or not...

If I can be happy with a 3.0, then I'll find one and mod it to look similar to a 4.8is. If the 3.0 seems overwhelmed, then I dunno, I might just sit back and wait for a low-mileage v8 to come up for sale...

The 3.0 is terribly slow, especially compared to a ZHP. 0-60 was almost 9 seconds iirc... I know the V8s aren't the most reliable engines, but with an X5, there's no way I'd get anything less than a 4.4

BCS_ZHP
01-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Then you gotta drive a 2011 or newer 6 cyl, a pure rocket

Imola.ZHP
01-26-2013, 04:44 AM
The 3.0 is terribly slow, especially compared to a ZHP. 0-60 was almost 9 seconds iirc... I know the V8s aren't the most reliable engines, but with an X5, there's no way I'd get anything less than a 4.4

Thats what I was afraid of...

Crap...

Then you gotta drive a 2011 or newer 6 cyl, a pure rocket

Yes, a 35i would be nice, but I don't think they are in our price range yet. Perhaps when the 2014 x5 rolls out (brand new body style) the current body style will take a big hit...

/hijack!

Sockethead
01-26-2013, 04:52 AM
My favorite feature about the X5 is that it has a tailgate....

Yea, sorry for the threadjack

Imola.ZHP
01-26-2013, 05:12 AM
My favorite feature about the X5 is that it has a tailgate....

Yea, sorry for the threadjack

lol, perhaps we should start an x5 discussion thread... So the newer x5's don't have the tailgate that the first gen does? If so, that sucks and pushes me towards an e53 even more... I think Ima just have to find a clean Imola Red 4.8is and take my chances with the engine and transmission... Two Imola Red vehicles in the same household, would it be wrong to capitalize on the the best color BMW ever used?

Sockethead
01-26-2013, 05:37 AM
lol, perhaps we should start an x5 discussion thread... So the newer x5's don't have the tailgate that the first gen does? If so, that sucks and pushes me towards an e53 even more... I think Ima just have to find a clean Imola Red 4.8is and take my chances with the engine and transmission... Two Imola Red vehicles in the same household, would it be wrong to capitalize on the the best color BMW ever used?

If you can, buy a warranty to cover the e53 trans if you can't verify that it's been replaced. The e70 has a tailgate too.

Yea why don't you start a new thread or PM me or Kpro. Also, start hangin out over at Xoutpost.com. There are a great bunch of people over there in the e53 forum. I use the same name there...

kpro
01-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Oh the E53... The 4.4, 4.6, and 4.8 are the ONLY way to go, but they come with issues and if you aren't capable of handling repairs yourself its probably not the best vehicle to buy pre-owned. Besides the air suspension, the auto trans that lasts around 100k, the major oil leaks, they also have issues with the "typical BMW problems" This goes for any BMW V8 from that time period. The valleypan gasket leaks, the alternator housing bracket (major job), crank case vent valves, cooling system, Valve cover gaskets, timing cover gaskets (MAJOR job), basically any seal in the engine. We have seen many of these V8's with failed valve seals as well which constitutes a complete teardown of the heads to the tune of about $7k.

We own a 2005 4.8is which we bought 11 months ago with 80k on it. I'm not exaggerating the slightest bit when I tell you that we've put just under $11,000 in repairs into it (including trans that my aftermarket warranty paid for) it has 112k on it now. THAT WARRANTY SAVED US! But these V8's are nothing to mess with if you finance the vehicle without warranty. With all of the problems we've had, its still our favorite BMW to date, even with breaking your wallet it leaves something to be desired.

Honda Pilots are nice too.

Imola.ZHP
01-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Oh the E53... The 4.4, 4.6, and 4.8 are the ONLY way to go, but they come with issues and if you aren't capable of handling repairs yourself its probably not the best vehicle to buy pre-owned. Besides the air suspension, the auto trans that lasts around 100k, the major oil leaks, they also have issues with the "typical BMW problems" This goes for any BMW V8 from that time period. The valleypan gasket leaks, the alternator housing bracket (major job), crank case vent valves, cooling system, Valve cover gaskets, timing cover gaskets (MAJOR job), basically any seal in the engine. We have seen many of these V8's with failed valve seals as well which constitutes a complete teardown of the heads to the tune of about $7k.

We own a 2005 4.8is which we bought 11 months ago with 80k on it. I'm not exaggerating the slightest bit when I tell you that we've put just under $11,000 in repairs into it (including trans that my aftermarket warranty paid for) it has 112k on it now. THAT WARRANTY SAVED US! But these V8's are nothing to mess with if you finance the vehicle without warranty. With all of the problems we've had, its still our favorite BMW to date, even with breaking your wallet it leaves something to be desired.

Honda Pilots are nice too.

Thanks for the info... We have a paid-off Honda SUV right now, we're bored with it...

Loving this IR in OR. Spent 3.5 years in TX, then 3.5 up there... I don't care for the "comfort" seats though, I prefer the regular "sport" seats which are very similar to my ZHP's... Nice low mileage, kinda high on the price, but I'm guessing because of the miles...

http://legacyfordwallawalla.com/view_car.php?myStockID=98310A&myDealerID=10003

Even just 3.5 years up "north" is still enough to scare me away. Parents have always told me to stay away from northern cars... I think I actually prefer the Le Mans Blue anyway, another IR might be overkill...

terraphantm
01-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the info... We have a paid-off Honda SUV right now, we're bored with it...

Loving this IR in OR. Spent 3.5 years in TX, then 3.5 up there... I don't care for the "comfort" seats though, I prefer the regular "sport" seats which are very similar to my ZHP's... Nice low mileage, kinda high on the price, but I'm guessing because of the miles...

http://legacyfordwallawalla.com/view_car.php?myStockID=98310A&myDealerID=10003

Even just 3.5 years up "north" is still enough to scare me away. Parents have always told me to stay away from northern cars... I think I actually prefer the Le Mans Blue anyway, another IR might be overkill...

Curious. Have you sat in the comfort seats? They are really nice IMO -- the split backrest adjustment really helps in finding the right position. I know the new version (found in the E60 and newer) have adjustable side bolsters (which get can be made far tighter than the E46 bolsters). Not sure about the E53 comfort seats. But even so, for a cruiser, I think I'd rather have the more comfortable seat over the bigger bolsters.

Johal E32
01-30-2013, 10:11 PM
E38's w/ luxury seats had the split backrest adjustments as well. They are very comfortable.