PDA

View Full Version : Important things to get coded at the dealership?

BavarianZHP
01-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Hey all,

I trying to make a checklist of things to do at a BMW dealership, specifically the things I cannot do - mainly coding and such.

I have a '03 sedan if that matters. If any of you can give me suggestions and/or estimates that would be great!

Things I have so far:

1) Get rid of the amber running lights when I turn on my headlights
2) Get coded for an alarm
3) Upgrade on-board computer/engine software???

As always, much appreciated. I dunno how one owning a ZHP could live without depending on a forum!

Johal E32
01-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Keep the DRL's they look bauce!

I only say this because I have them coded on my car

az3579
01-30-2013, 05:36 PM
The dealer can't do #1 for you.

danewilson77
01-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Euro pulse hazards.

BavarianZHP
01-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Oh, i didn't know that - care to elaborate on how it's done? I know some things can be done with the appropriate DIY software. Maybe I'll try to get into that route for everything if possible.

Pip
01-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Triple blink turn signals - flick the turn stalk and blinkers blink three times for this quick lane changes.

Johal E32
01-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Triple blink turn signals - flick the turn stalk and blinkers blink three times for this quick lane changes.

I need this.

johnrando
01-30-2013, 06:28 PM
what they said, plus:

-Lights/clown nose blinking upon lock/unlock.
-Not sure but window things such as auto-up/auto-down may need coding?

I'll try to think of others.

az3579
01-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Euro pulse hazards.

Dealer can't do that.

Oh, i didn't know that - care to elaborate on how it's done? I know some things can be done with the appropriate DIY software. Maybe I'll try to get into that route for everything if possible.

NCS Expert is used. The dealer doesn't have this software. Factory-level.

Dealer can do this, but only if you have the appropriate LCM revision.

what they said, plus:

-Lights/clown nose blinking upon lock/unlock.
-Not sure but window things such as auto-up/auto-down may need coding?

I'll try to think of others.

... and they can do these as well.

I need this. referring to triple blink

If you want the dealer to code this, you'll need a brand new, never coded LCM from a mid-2005 or 2006 E46. Then they'll code it for you for a hefty sum of money. If you want to buy a used LCM for a lot less money, you'll need PASoft and the cable to code your VIN and mileage to the used unit. The dealer does not have the capability of coding used LCM's.

Johnmadd
01-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Dealer can't do that.

NCS Expert is used. The dealer doesn't have this software. Factory-level.

Dealer can do this, but only if you have the appropriate LCM revision.

... and they can do these as well.

If you want the dealer to code this, you'll need a brand new, never coded LCM from a mid-2005 or 2006 E46. Then they'll code it for you for a hefty sum of money. If you want to buy a used LCM for a lot less money, you'll need PASoft and the cable to code your VIN and mileage to the used unit. The dealer does not have the capability of coding used LCM's.

Believe the great coder BP :theman

terraphantm
01-30-2013, 09:55 PM
10% of what you'd pay the dealer would pay for the equipment needed to code it yourself (assuming you already own a laptop). Pocket the rest as free gas.

webster
01-31-2013, 05:05 AM
speaking from experience, i would get the courtesy one-touch all windows down from the key fob disabled.

jayjay_dee
01-31-2013, 10:48 AM

Yep, BP is the man...

az3579
01-31-2013, 12:57 PM

Yep, BP is the man...

Nah, gentlemen. I don't hold a candle to our coding guru, Terra. :p

wsmeyer
01-31-2013, 01:04 PM
speaking from experience, i would get the courtesy one-touch all windows down from the key fob disabled.

I haven't tested this yet but I don't believe disabling this feature from the remote disables it from the key lock, which is usually the one that causes the problem.

danewilson77
01-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Nah, gentlemen. I don't hold a candle to our coding guru, Terra. :p

Someone who is around, that has adequate/above average coding knowledge, is better than an expert, who is not.

RITmusic2k
01-31-2013, 02:51 PM
My favorite mod was reprogramming the passenger mirror tilt-in-reverse from the factory-fixed position to a customizable position. I have mine set to tilt not quite as far downward and a fair bit inward, such that I can see my right-rear tire and rear corner perfectly from my driving position. This is super convenient.

Crickett
01-31-2013, 03:17 PM
My favorite mod was reprogramming the passenger mirror tilt-in-reverse from the factory-fixed position to a customizable position. I have mine set to tilt not quite as far downward and a fair bit inward, such that I can see my right-rear tire and rear corner perfectly from my driving position. This is super convenient.

I wanna do that!! Where do I look in NCS, BP?

RITmusic2k
01-31-2013, 04:49 PM

I just found the original list I went through when I had my car-key memory settings customized. Another one I really enjoy is the >5mph door auto-lock.

az3579
01-31-2013, 05:49 PM
I wanna do that!! Where do I look in NCS, BP?

If I remember correctly, I used MEMORY_SP_ABKLAPPEN_GM located in the GM5 module.
This is a note I have saved from my "queue" that I created for the M3 that I coded with this feature.

There was a certain procedure I think to get it to work... I wish I remembered what it was. I made this queue file before I started getting really organized so it's just a text file with the string in int. Sorry I couldn't be of more help... :(

wsmeyer
01-31-2013, 05:52 PM
If I remember correctly, I used MEMORY_SP_ABKLAPPEN_GM located in the GM5 module.
This is a note I have saved from my "queue" that I created for the M3 that I coded with this feature.

There was a certain procedure I think to get it to work... I wish I remembered what it was. I made this queue file before I started getting really organized so it's just a text file with the string in int. Sorry I couldn't be of more help... :(

Any chance you remember what to set for triple blink?

az3579
01-31-2013, 05:57 PM
Any chance you remember what to set for triple blink?

That one's easy! CYCL_TI_BLK located in the LSZ module. Set to dreimal. Options are einmal (single blink), zweimal (double blink), or dreimal (triple blink). Unfortunately, 3 blinks is the most it'll do. So wish it did 5...

wsmeyer
01-31-2013, 06:00 PM
That one's easy! CYCL_TI_BLK located in the LSZ module. Set to dreimal. Options are einmal (single blink), zweimal (double blink), or dreimal (triple blink). Unfortunately, 3 blinks is the most it'll do. So wish it did 5...

Does that mean mine is currently set to einmal?

az3579
01-31-2013, 06:05 PM
Does that mean mine is currently set to einmal?

If you only get a single blink, yes. You have a 2006, so you definitely have double- or triple-blink capability if you code it (unless of course someone swapped the LCM to an older one).

johnrando
01-31-2013, 07:45 PM
There you go William, told you I'd get your answer for triple-blink from BP. lol

Stewbie
01-31-2013, 08:11 PM

Cool. I don't use that feature because the passenger mirror tips all the way down and is basically useless. Reprogramming it so it went to a useful position would be great.

MrMaico
02-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Lots of good coding onfo in this thread guys........

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=372299

jayjay_dee
02-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Someone who is around, that has adequate/above average coding knowledge, is better than an expert, who is not.

^^ words of wisdom...

BP, i just need an updated LCM + coding and I can have the 3ple blink feature? i thought i would also need the updated left stalk?

az3579
02-01-2013, 01:45 PM
^^ words of wisdom...

BP, i just need an updated LCM + coding and I can have the 3ple blink feature? i thought i would also need the updated left stalk?

No stalk needed, just the LCM and coding.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

jayjay_dee
02-01-2013, 03:50 PM
No stalk needed, just the LCM and coding.

Ok, thanks for the info BP...

az3579
02-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Ok, thanks for the info BP...

I'll send the bill to your house. :biggrin

JupiterBMW
02-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Because of this thread, I'm on eBay searching for a coding cable and software. :shifty

Dave_B
02-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Because of this thread, I'm on eBay searching for a coding cable and software. :shifty

I'd love to see a coding DIY on this site... Just sayin.

az3579
02-03-2013, 07:12 AM
There you go William, told you I'd get your answer for triple-blink from BP. lol

Hey John,
Bring your LCM and I'll code it for you at the reunion if you want. :)

danewilson77
02-03-2013, 07:25 AM
I'd love to see a coding DIY on this site... Just sayin.

We have some huge threads on coding.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7537

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7663

I just stickied these as this stuff is pretty popular amongst you enthusiasts right now :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Dave_B
02-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks Dee-DUB!!!!!

johnrando
02-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Hey John,
Bring your LCM and I'll code it for you at the reunion if you want. :)

Wow, very cool offer BP. I just might do that. Although, it sounds like you gave William enough info so he might be able to do it here. Either way, it's very appreciated! I'll let you know what works out.

terraphantm
02-03-2013, 05:53 PM

I'm pretty sure that's the right function. The module to edit will depend on the car.

For sedans/tourings until 03/2003, non-M coupes/verts until 09/2003, and all M3s, the function is in the BTM module (and doesn't have "GM" at the end). For everything else it's in the GM5 function. Requires memory seats.

I think it functions a little differently on the two major types. For cars with the BTM module, keeping the switch pointed to the right makes the mirror tilt. Keeping it to the left makes it stay in place. For the cars with GM5 mirror control, the mirror always tilts down. Switch to the right is memory, to the left is default position.

To set the position, go into reverse with the switch to the right, set your desired position, then save the setting via your seat buttons. If the memory is ever lost, it can be restored by hitting the memory button (assuming you saved it)

az3579
02-03-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm pretty sure that's the right function. The module to edit will depend on the car.

For sedans/tourings until 03/2003, non-M coupes/verts until 09/2003, and all M3s, the function is in the BTM module (and doesn't have "GM" at the end). For everything else it's in the GM5 function. Requires memory seats.

The M3 I did it on was either a 2005 or 2006 vert, and it was located in the GM5 module. I've never heard of the BTM module... is it possible only certain M3's had the BTM?

I think it functions a little differently on the two major types. For cars with the BTM module, keeping the switch pointed to the right makes the mirror tilt. Keeping it to the left makes it stay in place. For the cars with GM5 mirror control, the mirror always tilts down. Switch to the right is memory, to the left is default position.

This M3 did function with the 'tilt in both positions' characteristic. One side of the switch was the memory position and the other the default.

To set the position, go into reverse with the switch to the right, set your desired position, then save the setting via your seat buttons. If the memory is ever lost, it can be restored by hitting the memory button (assuming you saved it)

Noted. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup

terraphantm
02-03-2013, 07:18 PM
BTM = Beifahrertuermodul (passenger door module). FTM is the driver side equivalent.

I'm 99% sure every M3 with power/memory seats has those modules. If that weren't the case, ribbon-motor M3 mirrors would exist.

The GM5 probably does have the function, but I figured it would be nonfunctional on BTM/FTM cars. Perhaps both functions work

az3579
02-03-2013, 07:19 PM
BTM = Beifahrertuermodul (passenger door module). FTM is the driver side equivalent.

I'm 99% sure every M3 has those modules. If that weren't the case, ribbon-motor M3 mirrors would exist.

The GM5 probably does have the function, but I figured it would be nonfunctional on BTM/FTM cars. Perhaps both functions work

It might very well exist. I do remember seeing a number of extra modules to choose from. I probably didn't see BTM because I wasn't looking for it. In this case, coding the GM5 did the trick. Learned something new today. :thumbsup

RITmusic2k
02-04-2013, 02:34 PM
FYI, when I had the mirror mode activated, it worked the same way this M3's mirrors did. Rather than having standard tilt/bypass, it's now standard tilt/custom tilt.

terraphantm
02-04-2013, 09:05 PM
FYI, when I had the mirror mode activated, it worked the same way this M3's mirrors did. Rather than having standard tilt/bypass, it's now standard tilt/custom tilt.

I guess it depends on which module you activate the feature through. In my M3 (an 05 model), I enabled it through the BTM module. For me it's bypass/custom tilt. I've never tried setting it through the GM5 on this car... but I can't think of any other reason for a difference.

wsmeyer
02-09-2013, 09:35 PM

You are the man!

Finally got around to trying it and I found it no problem.

Thank you very much!

terraphantm
02-10-2013, 08:56 AM

I was thinking about this -- if you disassemble the daten file with NCS Dummy, you might be able to add a few options for more blinks. Based on the coding mask, you should be able to go upto 7 blinks.

az3579
02-11-2013, 05:54 PM
I was thinking about this -- if you disassemble the daten file with NCS Dummy, you might be able to add a few options for more blinks. Based on the coding mask, you should be able to go upto 7 blinks.

Please elaborate...
I ran NCS Dummy on that trace file and it only presented me with 1, 2, or 3 blinks. Could you please take a look? Maybe I was doing something wrong, or looking at the wrong file, but I only saw options for einmal, zweimal, or dreimal.

Dave_B
02-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Is there any site that has all options that CAN be coded?

Just found out this weekend I have access to GT1. :o