PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Dash/Instrument Cluster Complete

bullfrogs_M3
02-02-2013, 08:23 PM
My original instrument cluster has gone bad for about 2-3 years now. My speedo is permanently off by 10 MPH, so when it says i'm rolling at 75, i'm really only going 65. The RPM tach is also toast. It sometimes just get stuck at an RPM and then stays there for a while no matter if I am stopped at a light or going down the road. You learn to know where your red line is pretty quick after that happens for a while.

Anyway, took it to the dealership yesterday to see if they could take it apart and realign the needles or anything else. They called up and said the whole thing is falling apart and quoted me $1300 for the repair. Needless to say I said, thank you, no and am now searching for one.

I figured I would throw this out there and see if any of you come across one to let me know.

Thanks, I appreciate it. :wub

Avetiso
02-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Call your local junkyards.

danewilson77
02-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Get a new cluster and plug and play it bro.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

alexandre
02-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Keep in mind mileage will be off... But document the swap properly and it shouldn't affect resale value too much.

Wasn't there a ZHP part out in VA recently?

bullfrogs_M3
02-03-2013, 08:53 AM
I thought the mileage was driven by the computer or other components? Since it is a digital odometer and not analog, it shouldn't matter i thought?

az3579
02-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Get a new cluster and plug and play it bro.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I thought the mileage was driven by the computer or other components? Since it is a digital odometer and not analog, it shouldn't matter i thought?

The mileage is stored in the LCM and the instrument cluster, if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure that if you swap the cluster, you will get a tamper dot unless it gets coded.

I'll play around and see if I can change the mileage and VIN on my cluster. If I can, then I'll let you know; an option at that point would be to order one, have it shipped to me so I could code your VIN and mileage, and then I could ship it out to you.

Johnmadd
02-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Jeremiah, I will keep my eye out but I never see any e46's at my local junkyards. When you do find one I need a piece out of your old cluster if available. :)

az3579
02-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Also a reminder, automatic cars have a different instrument cluster, so be sure to pay attention to that if you're looking at a particular one. It'll have an extra display for the gear that's currently selected to the right of the main display on the center bottom of the cluster. It'll look like a box within a box if it's an auto one:

http://members.shaw.ca/bigcu/cluster21.jpg

Look for a ZHP one if you can, but most likely you won't find one. A regular cluster from a 330i should work as well; the faceplate where all the text and needles are is swappable so you could get your ZHP redline back.

Tnhl1989
02-03-2013, 11:22 PM
I actually have a cluster from my 330xi with 126k miles on it. Not sure if it can be coded however this weekend myself and Botond can sure play around to see if we can code it. Send me a pm if you are interested.

az3579
02-04-2013, 01:27 PM
I actually have a cluster from my 330xi with 126k miles on it. Not sure if it can be coded however this weekend myself and Botond can sure play around to see if we can code it. Send me a pm if you are interested.

That's from an auto... His I believe is a manual.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

KevinC
02-04-2013, 05:54 PM
North Hollywood Speedometer can rebuild yours.. probably for a helluva lot less cost and hassle than replacement...

alexandre
02-04-2013, 06:36 PM
The mileage is stored in the LCM and the instrument cluster, if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure that if you swap the cluster, you will get a tamper dot unless it gets coded.

I'll play around and see if I can change the mileage and VIN on my cluster. If I can, then I'll let you know; an option at that point would be to order one, have it shipped to me so I could code your VIN and mileage, and then I could ship it out to you.

I don't think you can... IIRC the cluster memory chip is locked against any modifications through OBD. I could be wrong though.

I think EWS stores VIN/mileage as well.

az3579
02-05-2013, 06:09 PM
I don't think you can... IIRC the cluster memory chip is locked against any modifications through OBD. I could be wrong though.

I think EWS stores VIN/mileage as well.

We will most definitely find out this weekend if it can be coded. :thumbsup

bullfrogs_M3
02-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the info guys, let me know what you find out with the coding.

Anyone have any other info on North Hollywood Speedo?

KevinC
02-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Here's NH Speedo's website...

http://www.nhspeedometer.com

Google around and you'll find tons of glowing praise for them. They've been in biz since the '50's, which is insane. In a good way.