PDA

View Full Version : Front strut tower reinforcement plates for E46 330ci convertible & fracture of rear axle support fix

Bimmernut2
02-03-2013, 07:22 PM
After reading several forum posts which make reference to the damage that can result in the front tower strut towers (mushrooming), I looked into maybe purchasing the E46 Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates (Pair) Part #: 51717036781 (51-71-7-036-781). HOWEVER, when I enter this P/N in realoem.com, this part ONLY shows up for SEDANS & TOURING models. I then ran my VIN# to search for this part only to find it NOT called out for my convertible. Is this issue ONLY for the 'other' models & NOT the 2 doors?
fracture of rear axle support fix
Has any one done the "cavity foam/structuring foam" fix per BMW TIS? Where did you buy the foam? Is there a "better or alternate" foam other than the BMW P/N's 83429410694 & 83420307530?

Secono330ci
02-03-2013, 10:37 PM
That's weird. There shouldn't be any difference between the sedan and coupes/verts.

johnrando
02-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Not sure. You might want to ask that on the e46f.c vert subforum for more ideas too.

Dave1027
02-04-2013, 09:30 AM
I got my reinforcement plates from ESCtuning.com. They fit perfectly on the ZHP coupe. ESC Tuning lists them as "Genuine BMW" parts.
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330Ci-M54_3.0L/Suspension/Reinforcement/ES128656/

MrMaico
02-04-2013, 10:14 AM
I think Realoem is just listing what cars they came on. They should fit all models. Like Dave, I have them on my coupe so I'm sure they should fit the vert. All E46s are susceptible to mushrooming so it's a good idea to install them on whatever you drive.

Bimmernut2
02-04-2013, 10:18 AM
I think Realoem is just listing what cars they came on. They should fit all models. Like Dave, I have them on my coupe so I'm sure they should fit the vert. All E46s are susceptible to mushrooming so it's a good idea to install them on whatever you drive.

@MrMaico...should these be install inside the tower or outside?

Dave1027
02-04-2013, 10:59 AM
@MrMaico...should these be install inside the tower or outside?Inside. You remove the wheels, put a floor jack under the CA ball joint, unbolt the three nuts that secure the strut mount to the tower. May have to remove the headlight level sensor from pass side and maybe the swaybar links from the struts. Then slowly lower the struts, place the plates on top of the mounts, jack back up and secure with the three nuts.

Bimmernut2
02-04-2013, 02:14 PM
@All...I read that it also helps if you add the BMW Strut Brace. Has anyone else reador hear of this?

MrMaico
02-04-2013, 02:43 PM
@All...I read that it also helps if you add the BMW Strut Brace. Has anyone else reador hear of this?

It can be of some help but you are much better off with the reinforcement plates. There is only a small area of contact under each bolt hole....about the size of a thumbprint. There may be other brands that have the full contact between the bar and strut tower but it still won't give as much support as the plates considering that the strut tower isn't perfectly flat on top.

Barry

Hermes
02-04-2013, 02:45 PM
It can be of some help but you are much better off with the reinforcement plates. There is only a small area of contact under each bolt hole....about the size of a thumbprint. There may be other brands that have the full contact between the bar and strut tower but it still won't give as much support as the plates considering that the strut tower isn't perfectly flat on top.

Barry

+1

I have both, reinforcement plates are more important

johnrando
02-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Yes, many of us have strut braces and they are supposed to help prevent mushrooming.

danewilson77
02-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Yes, many of us have strut braces and they are supposed to help prevent mushrooming.

Right... And just to throw this data point out there... My strut tower cracked with a strut brace installed. I don't think it would have with the RRK installed.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA.

Bimmernut2
02-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Right... And just to throw this data point out there... My strut tower cracked with a strut brace installed. I don't think it would have with the RRK installed.

@Boss....Did it crack as a result of "normal" driving or was it via "tracking"? Did you do anything that would have exasperated the results? (Like hitting a pot hole or drove on rough roads, etc) Just trying to determine the problem. I only heard of the "mushrooming" which, as a retired engineer, I can understand given a stiff suspension that the ZHP's & M cars have. BTW, what's RRK?

derbo
02-04-2013, 05:07 PM
After reading several forum posts which make reference to the damage that can result in the front tower strut towers (mushrooming), I looked into maybe purchasing the E46 Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates (Pair) Part #: 51717036781 (51-71-7-036-781). HOWEVER, when I enter this P/N in realoem.com, this part ONLY shows up for SEDANS & TOURING models. I then ran my VIN# to search for this part only to find it NOT called out for my convertible. Is this issue ONLY for the 'other' models & NOT the 2 doors?
fracture of rear axle support fix
Has any one done the "cavity foam/structuring foam" fix per BMW TIS? Where did you buy the foam? Is there a "better or alternate" foam other than the BMW P/N's 83429410694 & 83420307530?

I've done the BMW TIS cavity foam/structuring foam filler.

http://www.simracing.no/e46fanatics/Dag65/e46_subframe_tis.pdf (courtesy of JeppeJJ)

I'm not sure if there is another place to order this beyond BMW. You also need a special gun that can squeeze two tubes at once to combine into one injected solution. I did it with the dealership gun so I'm not 100% where you can find it. You could probably build your own dual tube caulking gun.

johnrando
02-04-2013, 05:11 PM

I didn't realize you had the bar on there at the time. SUX.

danewilson77
02-04-2013, 08:22 PM
@Boss....Did it crack as a result of "normal" driving or was it via "tracking"? Did you do anything that would have exasperated the results? (Like hitting a pot hole or drove on rough roads, etc) Just trying to determine the problem. I only heard of the "mushrooming" which, as a retired engineer, I can understand given a stiff suspension that the ZHP's & M cars have. BTW, what's RRK?

Normal daily driving. Some crappy roads.