PDA

View Full Version : There's an F1 car in my shifter

subieworx
02-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Strange right? Seriously though it sounds like there is an F1 car in my shifter when it's under 40*F. The noise is very high pitched and emanates from the shifter area and tends to last for about 5 minutes after driving starts. It is definitely something releated to a rotation motion in the driveshaft or diff from what I can tell.

Things I have replaced:
All replaced as preventive maintenance in an attempt to resolve a drivetrain shudder I was having...
Guibo
CSB
shifter bushings
Trans fluid

I have not replaced the rear diff fluid yet, but pulled the fill plug and checked and found it to be at the appropriate level. The previous owner had swapped in a 3.46.

After replacing the CSB and guibo I started here what amounts to a very rapid knocking noise that sounds like a hamster running in a cage.

I have been under the car several times and looked around for obvious signs and haven't seen anything. I am also quite familiar with BMW's and work on them frequently, but this is not a noise I have ever heard from any other BMW. I have also not had a whole lot of time to dig into it lately as I have been too busy.

As a fix I have contemplated picking up a used driveshaft as they are pretty inexpensive.

Ideas?

Hornung418
02-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Probably just cold bushings transmitting more noise.

I have poly bushings and when you romp on the loud pedal the whole car talks to me in some alien language. Love it.

From a GS3, this was sent.

subieworx
02-04-2013, 07:50 PM
I know those sounds and this is not it.

BimmerWill
02-05-2013, 04:59 AM
How long have you had the vehicle? Has it been in colder weather before and not occurred or is this something more recent?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Ryans323i
02-05-2013, 07:11 AM
Does it still make the noise when the clutch is disengaged (third pedal to the floor)?

subieworx
02-06-2013, 03:52 AM
I have only had the car since October, but the last owner does not remember the sound.

The noise is present if the car is moving at speeds between 20 and 45. It may make it when over the speeds as well, but it could be that I cannot get up to those speeds before the car gets warm and I get to the highway.