PDA

View Full Version : Word of advice...

BimmerWill
02-08-2013, 08:06 AM
For those that are about to or see in the near future a need to replace the fuel filter I just wanted to share my experience yesterday that ended with a trip to the eye hospital.

Following the DIY instructions online I removed fuse #54 to the fuel pump cranked the car up and ran it until it died a couple times. Being satisfied that the engine was now starved for gas I proceeded to remove the lines. I removed the on furthest from the fuel pump first as I assumed this line would have less pressure then the one coming directly from the fuel tank. This being the factory fuel filter the hoses were on there fairly tight and did not want to budge. I however managed to pop the first one off. What followed was probably one of the more painful experiences of my life. The still pressurized line sprayed a large amount of fuel at my face from a distance of more than 2.5 feet covering my shirt face and getting into my eyes. I immediately recognized I was in a difficult situation as no one was at home but myself. Luckily I had thought to open the side garage door before I had begun so I stumbled around the garage and through the door to the sink we have in the back. I couldn't see a thing but managed to get the water on and ran it over my face for a solid fifteen minutes. Called my dad and he came and picked me up and we went to the eye hospital. Luckily getting there before everyone had left for the day. Diagnosis came out to only be some mild abrasions on my eyes with no major damage. Doctor prescribed me some antibiotic ointment to put in my eyes as well as some tear drops.

I place no blame on anyone but myself and only say this to warn others as to what can happen. Safety glasses are key when working with these pressurized systems and I stupidly had forgotten to put them on at the critical moment. The situation could have gone much worse and im lucky to have not lost any vision. I hope this saves someone else a trip to the hospital in the future.

On a side note when I got back home it was dark but I was determined to finish the job. New fuel filter was in and everything back in place within an hour.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

cakM3
02-08-2013, 08:09 AM
That sucks it happened to you but I'm glad to hear everything turned out okay for you and you even got everything done!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Ryans323i
02-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Sorry to hear. Glad it didn't do anymore harm. Great warning, as I'm guilty of not wearing safety glasses.

And, you're a trooper. Still got the new pump in and running, way to go!

fredo
02-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Sorry this happened to you. Thanks for the heads up.

johnrando
02-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Sorry to hear. Glad it didn't do anymore harm. Great warning, as I'm guilty of not wearing safety glasses.

And, you're a trooper. Still got the new pump in and running, way to go!

+1

Dave1027
02-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Glad you are OK.
My method for replacing fuel filters has always been to let the vehicle sit overnight and crack open the gas line after it's been depressurized from sitting. This method has always worked for me.

Johnmadd
02-08-2013, 09:50 AM
That sucks man. I just turn my head away and close my eyes when its loose enough to pop off. Sorry this happened to you.

BimmerWill
02-08-2013, 10:10 AM
That sucks man. I just turn my head away and close my eyes when its loose enough to pop off. Sorry this happened to you.

This was going to be my method just in case it happened to still be pressurized but it came off so suddenly that I didn't have time. Lesson learned though

Oli77
02-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Damn a bear! Glad you're OK. Strangely enough, yesterday I had massive amounts of gas spill on me at the gas station. Auto shut-off failed and came out onto my shoes (cosmic mafia family moment).

edlvrt
02-08-2013, 10:51 AM
To one up the safety glasses, I wear a pair of safety goggles that forms a seal around your face and prevents fluids and debris from getting around the glasses frame. Glad to hear that you are ok

Dave1027
Damn a bear! Glad you're OK. Strangely enough, yesterday I had massive amounts of gas spill on me at the gas station. Auto shut-off failed and came out onto my shoes (cosmic mafia family moment).
That happened to me at a Shell station once. @$$-hoes still charged me for the $10 of gas on the ground. I was working and did not have time to argue.

echo46
That sucks. I always try to stick some sort of plug into the line immediately but invariably I get some gas on me. Feel better.

Avetiso
02-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Glad your OK. Gotta be careful with even the simplest jobs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

WOLFN8TR
02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Wow that Sucks! I just replaced my fuel filter using the same method and No pressurized fuel line. As Ryan stated after all that you went home and finished the filter! Nice!

danewilson77
02-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Glad you're Ok Will. When I did my filter last, I seem to remember the new filter coming with lil plastic caps on the open connections... Quantity 4. I just stuck those, 1 each into the lines as I pulled them. I didn't even pull the fuel pump fuse.

I might remind everyone, that when you're doing anything overhead like that you should wear safety glasses.

Williamsburg, VA, Droid DNA, Tapatalk

Mtnman
02-08-2013, 11:50 AM
+1, Also, i seem to remember pinching the lines shut prior to removing the filter to reduce any loss/spray. Glad you are ok.

WOLFN8TR
02-08-2013, 12:07 PM
+1, Also, i seem to remember pinching the lines shut prior to removing the filter to reduce any loss/spray. Glad you are ok.

Forgot to mention that. I used two small sets of Channel locks to pinch both lines. Also had a empty tank of gas.

kayger12
02-08-2013, 12:55 PM
I've learned to wear goggles the hard way as well-- I feel your pain.

Glad everything worked out.

terraphantm
02-09-2013, 12:04 AM
Yeah I definitely recommend wearing safety glasses when working with the fuel system (especially under the car).

The other thing I would do is unplug the fuse for your fuel pump, and start your car. Let it die, and then try starting it another couple times. That should greatly limit the fuel that pours out on you.

3ZHPGUY
02-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Glad to hear your OK, after having rusted metal drilled out of one of my eyes many years ago, I keep the safety glasses handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danewilson77
02-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Yeah I definitely recommend wearing safety glasses when working with the fuel system (especially under the car).

The other thing I would do is unplug the fuse for your fuel pump, and start your car. Let it die, and then try starting it another couple times. That should greatly limit the fuel that pours out on you.

He did.

Dave_B
02-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Thats crazy! Thanks for the heads up.

Oli77
03-26-2013, 06:01 PM
When is it recommended that we change our fuel filter?

danewilson77
03-26-2013, 06:12 PM
I did mine at 100k.

Mike probably says 60k.

johnrando
03-26-2013, 06:35 PM
and e46 mango probably says monthly :biggrin

Johal E32
03-26-2013, 06:42 PM
and e46 mango probably says monthly :biggrin

LOL.

I plan to change mine every 60k. I doubt I'll have this same car in the next 60k though.

Oli77
03-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Thanks all. I will go with the boss on that one. I am at 82K now.

330i ZHP
03-26-2013, 10:05 PM
sorry you had a bad experience...but as many times as I have had gas, brake cleaner, acetone, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...shoot onto or into my face and eyes...walk it off, wash it out...live with the burn and move on

This is not advice - this is an example of how stupid and stubborn I am

BimmerWill
03-27-2013, 07:13 AM
sorry you had a bad experience...but as many times as I have had gas, brake cleaner, acetone, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...shoot onto or into my face and eyes...walk it off, wash it out...live with the burn and move on

This is not advice - this is an example of how stupid and stubborn I am

First experience for me and hopefully the last! But unlikely lol

echo46
03-27-2013, 07:28 AM
I do my filter every 50,000. Maybe overkill.

alexandre
04-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Will - this was a while ago but I'll be doing my pump soon and wanted to do the filter at the same time. Do you know if it was still pressurized because the tank was full ? My tank is at 7/8 now, so I don't know if I should wait until I have less fuel. Shouldn't have filled up last time. LOL

midlandtech
04-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Will - this was a while ago but I'll be doing my pump soon and wanted to do the filter at the same time. Do you know if it was still pressurized because the tank was full ? My tank is at 7/8 now, so I don't know if I should wait until I have less fuel. Shouldn't have filled up last time. LOL

You can clamp the line a bit with some needle nose vice grips... That's how I did mine

BimmerWill
04-05-2013, 11:08 AM

The tank level im pretty sure has no bearing on whether the system is pressurized. Mine was nowhere near full and was still pressurized. Best strategy would be to approach in anticipation of it still being pressurized no matter what you do to try and relieve it.

Just be prepared to get soaked and make sure to wear safety goggles. Period.

BimmerWill
04-05-2013, 11:10 AM
You can clamp the line a bit with some needle nose vice grips... That's how I did mine

Great idea. This would be my method if I had to do a repeat.

Also go ahead and get replacement fuel lines when you do so. Ensure that they are for fuel injected purposes otherwise without the reinforcement they are going to balloon out and bust shortly after install.