PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Radio and Now Stuff is Not Working and it Smells Like Burnt Plastic

llll1l1ll
02-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Okay so I was driving home listening to Chromeo (don't laugh) when the sound kept cutting in and out. I was using the AUX input. I look down and the radio display is all garbled. Then I notice smoke coming out from behind the radio. Oh boy.

I turned it off and it displayed the time for a bit. Then it just cut out completely. Now the instrument cluster is acting up by not dimming or displaying the blinker lights when I turn them on. The lights still blink though. Can't adjust the mirrors or anything now, either.

I read somewhere that it could be my LCM. I pulled the fuses for the radio and the 5 amp one is black. Alternator is providing voltage at 14.1. Battery is less than a month old.

It was a bit scary and now I'm just mad. I need this car to get to work.

Oli77
02-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Could you be pulling too much through that fuse? Like iPod charger, phone charger, etc...

Try replacing the fuse for now.

Newjack
02-08-2013, 03:23 PM
It just needs some bonafide lovin' oh oh ooohhh.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I love chromeo.

I've never heard of this happening to anyone before. Maybe something with the alternator? Dunno

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

llll1l1ll
02-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Perhaps. The radio has been acting funky lately. I don't charge my phone in the car or anything. Just happened to want to listen to a song.

llll1l1ll
02-08-2013, 03:24 PM
It just needs some bonafide lovin' oh oh ooohhh.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I love chromeo.

I've never heard of this happening to anyone before. Maybe something with the alternator? Dunno

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Haha I was actually listening to that exact song.

Oli77
02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Is the fuse shorted out or just black?

Hornung418
02-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Soinds like you fried the board. Get a new radio seems to be the only option.

From a GS3, this was sent.

llll1l1ll
02-08-2013, 03:42 PM
I just tried it sans the fuses for the radio and everything is back to normal. Maybe that's the culprit or she just needed some time.

I'm gonna eat some tacos, think, and drink some beer.

llll1l1ll
02-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Is the fuse shorted out or just black?

Just black. The connectors are still intact so it's not technically blown.

My guess is the radio has a short somewhere. Possibly in the AUX cable where I plug my phone in to listen.

As for new radio: does anything need to be coded for a new/used radio?

Oli77
02-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Wait so it works without the fuse? That means you are pulling power to the radio from somewhere else.

Take that sucker out of there after the tacos and the beer.

johnrando
02-08-2013, 03:51 PM
I do know that E46 radios do not have those theft codes, etc. So, given that, I'm guessing you just swap it out.

alexandre
02-08-2013, 03:57 PM
No coding required unless radio is from europe. Plug in and go.

llll1l1ll
02-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Wait so it works without the fuse? That means you are pulling power to the radio from somewhere else.

Take that sucker out of there after the tacos and the beer.

Hahah no no the radio does not work without the fuse. I pulled the fuses to the radio and now everything else that was wrong is working. I'll put the fuses back in to see if the problems come back. If they do, I've found the issue.

Whitexi
02-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Not sure if your aware but should you need a new radio make sure it supports aux input because not all do.

Mtnman
02-08-2013, 05:03 PM
All i know is that i read the title, and to me it said, "smoking stuff and now radio not working......" Lol. Was wondering where this thread was going!

Avetiso
02-08-2013, 05:12 PM
All i know is that i read the title, and to me it said, "smoking stuff and now radio not working......" Lol. Was wondering where this thread was going!
We were all secretly talking about drugs. You gave it away!

llll1l1ll
02-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Hahahaha that's funny, you guys.

Not sure if your aware but should you need a new radio make sure it supports aux input because not all do.

I was not! Thanks for the tip!

llll1l1ll
02-25-2013, 02:12 PM
I've had my radio disconnected for a while. I haven't had any unusual battery drain problems. However, I'm sitting in the car after I turned it off and there's a very slight buzzing sound coming from the HVAC area. It's barely audible. Could this be my final stage resistor?

danewilson77
02-25-2013, 05:03 PM
I would disconnect he battery and replace the FSR as it's a known problem. If I had to guess quick (smoke), that's what I would direct.

Johnmadd
02-25-2013, 05:47 PM
I would disconnect he battery and replace the FSR as it's a known problem. If I had to guess quick (smoke), that's what I would direct.

Dumb me but what is fsr?

330i ZHP
02-25-2013, 05:50 PM
keep in mind the radio is on the CANbus and if it is having a problem then it can cause other components on the bus to have problems as well...

not sure what FSR is

likely need to replace head unit

danewilson77
02-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Dumb me but what is fsr?

keep in mind the radio is on the CANbus and if it is having a problem then it can cause other components on the bus to have problems as well...

not sure what FSR is

likely need to replace head unit

No... Dumb me..... I thought this was a final stage resistor issue after catching a glimpse of the thread. My apologies to all.

Williamsburg, VA, Droid DNA, Tapatalk

KevinC
02-25-2013, 06:13 PM
If you wind up needing a replacement, I have one with a knackered volume control (VERY common), but it's a late model (2005 mfr) and supports MP3 play. Yours for $60 shipped, and there's some dude on Ebay who does repairs for this very problem for some reasonable price.

danewilson77
02-25-2013, 06:15 PM
OT. Anyone know what difference is between the business cd and professional cd is?

Johnmadd
02-25-2013, 06:21 PM
OT. Anyone know what difference is between the business cd and professional cd is?

I always thought it was the same but just different names.

3ZHPGUY
02-25-2013, 06:26 PM

Could it be the amp?, not, both are Business

Standard equipment on the 325i and 325IX is
"Anti-theft AM/FM stereo/CD audio system with 10 speakers
Radio Data System (RDS), Store , and 3-chanel FM diversity antenna system"

330I and 330XI is
"Harnan Kardon AM/FM stereo/CD audio system with 12 speakers (including
2 subwoofers), upgraded amplification, and vehicle-speed-sensitive equalization"

BMW 2004 3 series, catalog

danewilson77
02-25-2013, 06:45 PM
I don't think it's the name.

3ZHPGUY
02-25-2013, 07:07 PM
I don't think it's the name.

Those are the only two 2 options available in the 2004 sedan catalog and there is no reference to what the first one is called.

llll1l1ll
02-26-2013, 06:25 AM
I think my FSR is fine. I use the fan every day and haven't noticed any issues. It's probably the radio still making noises (maybe?) even though the fuses are disconnected. It was certainly the radio that caused the smoke, though, hahaha. I've been driving so much lately (I don't have a choice); however, this weekend the lady and I are going away for our anniversary and are taking her car. This way, I can let mine sit for a few days to see if it makes a difference in the battery drain. I'll check voltage before I leave in the morning and then when I come back a day later.

Hornung418
02-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Professional was a Euro option.

llll1l1ll
03-05-2013, 08:04 AM
After letting my car sit for the weekend, voltage never dropped below 12.0. It was the radio causing all the problems.