PDA

View Full Version : Big list of maintenance to do list that I need some help with

BimmerWill
02-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Okay so im going to tackle a number of things on the car that I've been putting off for a while that I figure I might as well tackle them all while im in there. So here's the list let me know if I may be missing something in that area.

1. Power steering lines leaking
2. Oil leak that as far as I can tell is coming from the left side of the motor will inspect further this evening to determine for sure.
3. CCV has been done so no need for that I hope.
4. ICV has been removed and cleaned with CCV job as well as the TB
5. Intake boots are solid
6. Secondary air pump malfunction: I believe I have a crack or leak in one of the 7. vacuum lines that runs from the intake to the exhaust side to open up the one way 8. valve on the pump system as my air pump comes on with start up but valve does not open. So I need to access the module that controls that vacuum.

The majority of what Im wanting to work on is going to be on the intake side of the motor. I also have a malfunctioning oil level indicator that may just have to wait til I change the oil next.

I was thinking if I replaced the OFHG I should change the oil or does this seem to be all that necessary when doing this or can the Oil filter housing be removed without losing the oil?

Thank you for the help guys! :biggrin

LivesNearCostco
02-11-2013, 12:27 PM
OFHG can be replaced without changing the oil. You might lose a half quart at most from the filter housing itself, probably much less if you open filter cover to drain excess oil back into the block before removing OFH.

Two of the 4 power steering lines connect to the cooling coil with quick disconnects. Disconnecting those can be tricky without specialty tool. I think I used vise grips + a screwdriver to get them off. Replacing PS lines means most of the PS ATF will drain out.

BimmerWill
02-11-2013, 02:02 PM
OFHG can be replaced without changing the oil. You might lose a half quart at most from the filter housing itself, probably much less if you open filter cover to drain excess oil back into the block before removing OFH.

Two of the 4 power steering lines connect to the cooling coil with quick disconnects. Disconnecting those can be tricky without specialty tool. I think I used vise grips + a screwdriver to get them off. Replacing PS lines means most of the PS ATF will drain out.

Awesome tips. Im due to do a flush of the power steering fluids anyway so that's not a problem.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

echo46
02-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

danewilson77
02-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Just as a heads up... I did not disconnect the PSL's.

Williamsburg, VA, Droid DNA, Tapatalk

alexandre
02-11-2013, 04:54 PM
How was CCV ? Did you do the hoses too ? Cold climate version ?

Might wanna do pulleys and belts if they're old while you're in there... Cheap insurance.

No need to drain oil for OFHG. Just top up after everything is put back together.

Clean MAF. Often overlooked yet makes a big difference with throttle response.

Sub'd for info on SAP job. I'm suspecting issues with mine.

BimmerWill
02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
How was CCV ? Did you do the hoses too ? Cold climate version ?

Might wanna do pulleys and belts if they're old while you're in there... Cheap insurance.

No need to drain oil for OFHG. Just top up after everything is put back together.

Clean MAF. Often overlooked yet makes a big difference with throttle response.

Sub'd for info on SAP job. I'm suspecting issues with mine.

Are you getting fault codes for the airpump?

alexandre
02-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Are you getting fault codes for it?

Nope... But I have consistent rough startups in indoor garages after approx. 8h of sitting, that don't happen when disconnecting the SAP. Probably a tiny vacuum leak that doesn't trigger SES. How about you ?

kayger12
02-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Are you sure your PS lines are leaking?

The OFHG leak usually makes it way right down to the PS lines and drips from there making it look like you have a PS fluid leak when you don't.

This was the case on my 325i.

alexandre
02-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Are you sure your PS lines are leaking?

The OFHG leak usually makes it way right down to the PS lines and drips from there making it look like you have a PS fluid leak when you don't.

This was the case on my 325i.

The OE clamps used on the PS lines are garbage and leaks there are very common. Mine are leaking a little but I haven't bothered with it yet. They usually leak right where the lines attach to the reservoir though, so if it's somewhere else you might wanna degrease the whole thing after changing OFHG to see if it's an actual PS leak or if it was oil.

BimmerWill
02-11-2013, 09:37 PM
I've had the power steering leak since I got the car it just hasn't been bad enough to warrant the replacement of the lines that i've been putting off im just trying to motivate myself to do it now while im doing other things.

BimmerWill
02-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Okay so got an update.

Night before last me and a buddy tackled the OFHG. It really wasn't difficult just time consuming, the hardest parts were getting the alternator back into position properly and removing the plasticized gasket on the oil filter housing (200k).

As far as the leak man o man there was oil everywhere. Probably close to half a quart on that side of the motor in each and every recessed spot on the block there was a pool of it. In my tiredness I completely forgot to take any pictures but from the other pics I've seen on the internet it was by far worse then any id seen. I need to find a way to get all that gunk off of there. I probably should have cleaned it thoroughly but I was itching to get it back together so I got the majority of it up and put everything back together. Im not sure the best way to go about cleaning it now but its no longer leaking oil so that's a plus.

I didn't tackle any of the other things on my list as money is kind of short right now so the power steering lines on the reservoir are going to have to wait a little longer but im probably going to get a new reservoir as well while im at it.

Oli77
02-17-2013, 09:01 AM
At least you should try and clean one of those recesses next to the OFHG (to the right of it). This way you can just look with a flashlight now and then to see if the sucker fills back up or is staying bone dry.

Mine looked bad too but I think that you loose a lot around that area when you pull the OFHG off.

Looked like that with oil pooled here, here, and here?

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC07264.jpg

BimmerWill
02-17-2013, 09:07 AM
At least you should try and clean one of those recesses next to the OFHG (to the right of it). This way you can just look with a flashlight now and then to see if the sucker fills back up or is staying bone dry.

Mine looked bad too but I think that you loose a lot around that area when you pull the OFHG off.

Looked like that with oil pooled here, here, and here?

Yes I did clean those areas up. There's just a massive amount of oil all over the side of the motor down to the transmission. I feel like a neglecting owner :(

alexandre
02-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Easiest way to clean this is to shoot degreaser from under the engine.

Make sure you torque the bolt for the VANOS oil line properly - I undertorqued mine, and now I have to redo everything!

Hermes
02-17-2013, 09:51 AM
I have a degreaser that I use on my BBQ, works wonders on engine gunk. I'll figure out what it is when I get home

BimmerWill
02-17-2013, 10:07 AM
What's the torque on that line?

Awesome thanks!

Oli77
02-17-2013, 10:11 AM
What's the torque on that line?

Awesome thanks!

24 ft/lb if you can get a torque ranch on the lower one. The upper one going to Vanos is easier to get to. Don't forget to get new crush washers for those.

BimmerWill
02-17-2013, 10:20 AM
24 ft/lb if you can get a torque ranch on the lower one. The upper one going to Vanos is easier to get to. Don't forget to get new crush washers for those.

I didn't have the washers so im going to get those soon. I just took the top fitting loose not the bottom one because I knew I would need to replace those washers