PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Angel eyes

ejp2fast
02-27-2013, 11:50 AM
For the ZHP- what ya got?

johnrando
02-27-2013, 02:28 PM
There are a few threads around on this, more options for the sedan, but I like (for coupe) Umnitza. Several others recommend WeissLicht.

Dave_B
02-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Could you be more specific on the more options for Sedans? I just happen to have one, and would like some Angel Eyes in the future as well.

johnrando
02-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Sorry, I don't know as I have a vert/coupe. Never researched sedan AE's.

Avetiso
02-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Could you be more specific on the more options for Sedans? I just happen to have one, and would like some Angel Eyes in the future as well.
Dude, have you got options.

Umnitza has plenty with great reviews.

Khoalty has a set, I saw them on Sean's (Pip) ZHP, and they look great.

Weisslicht is very good as well, and are the ones I would go with. From what I hear, they are thinner and just look classier, but I can't verify.

You can get cheap ones off eBay, but the LEDs are pretty big and far apart so they look like shit close up.

There are others, but I can't recall at the moment. The ones I have listed should have what you need, however.

danewilson77
02-27-2013, 06:40 PM
I've had the Weisslichts since July 2009.

Williamsburg, VA, Droid DNA, Tapatalk

Daddyoh
02-28-2013, 05:03 AM
These are from Umnitza. Size 11X. They are a gift from my son.
There are relatively clear install instructions available, but I think the best are from another source other than Umnitza.
You're gonna read about baking your headlights; no baking needed for sedans.
Sedans and coupes take different sizes.
I have not installed yet because I'm trying to decide to refinish my lenses or buy new ones. I think I'd be more satisfied with new ones. Then I'd have to figure out where to get them, ha. A procrastinator's love....:rolleyes

ejp2fast
02-28-2013, 06:01 AM
For the guys who have AE's - how do you have them wired? separate switched or when the lights come on, or when fogs come on?
I have xenon's from a 325i and asked the seller if that was off of a coupe or sedan for the baking vs snap on......waiting on response.

alexandre
02-28-2013, 07:01 AM
No baking required, no matter the model. Sedan = no baking.

Angel eyes feed off the ECU and/or the glove box, so wiring is again the same for everyone!

johnrando
02-28-2013, 07:07 AM
Actually Alexandre, just to be clear: there is no way to get the lens covers off the coupes/verts w/o baking the lights to loosen the glue (we're talking facelift cars, I don't know about pre-facelift). So yes, baking is required on some models. The lens covers on sedans snap on/off so they don't need baking. I'm not sure if you meant all SEDAN models or ALL models.

alexandre
02-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Yup, I meant no matter the sedan model :)

ejp2fast
02-28-2013, 08:22 AM

Angel eyes feed off the ECU and/or the glove box, so wiring is again the same for everyone!
So my question then is - do they turn on with the running lights (turn right first step) or the full lights (turn right second step)?

Has anyone done the switch found here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345349

johnrando
02-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Mine are wired to turn on as soon as the car "wakes up", i.e. as soon as I unlock it.

Daddyoh
02-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Mine are wired to turn on as soon as the car "wakes up", i.e. as soon as I unlock it.
^
Right. And I don't pretend to know all the details, but a while back I watched a DIY, and it instructed that one of the wires is run through the firewall behind the glovebox, and hooked up to the floor light under the glovebox, IIRC.
All in all I think it is pretty straight forward. I think there is some ECU action which I may find sporting, but most folks figure it out.
It's really cool to see them come on when you unlock the car with your remote. My son's 330xi lighting was awesome, GRIS, or RIP, ha.
It was owned by brandonwish (or something like that) over on E46fanatics.

ejp2fast
02-28-2013, 12:02 PM

Thats sweet! So what about if you leave the car unlocked, will it go out after x amount of time?

johnrando
02-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Correct. Either locked or unlocked, they stay on for a bit and then fade out. Hieu (sillieidiot) wired mine, you might want to PM him.

ejp2fast
03-01-2013, 05:30 AM
Great, I'll keep this in mind when the AE's get installed.

WOLFN8TR
03-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Man I want some Angel Eyes but have to bake my headlights. Kinda freaks me out.

johnrando
03-01-2013, 08:22 AM
I'm with you Gary. I held my breath and took the plunge with someone who'd done several before, so I felt safer. If you're ever in LA, ping Hieu (sillieidiot on here), as he did mine.

WOLFN8TR
03-01-2013, 11:00 AM
I remember you talking about him doing yours. I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

JupiterBMW
03-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Speaking of, where does everyone get the Weisslicht setup for the sedans? I think this is the set I will go with whenever I get around to them...

BavarianZHP
03-01-2013, 11:58 PM
I only know of getting them from their webpage, which transfers you to:

http://www.bimmian.com/PHO/46

I really want nothing but Weisslicht's (excellent fitment) but they are really too blue at 7000-8000k in color (claimed on webpage). I would only purchase pure white (not even slight blue - I hate that!) or yellow white... It's really a pity they don't make 5000k. Any owners who can chime in? Are they really blue?

danewilson77
03-02-2013, 06:00 AM
I only know of getting them from their webpage, which transfers you to:

http://www.bimmian.com/PHO/46

I really want nothing but Weisslicht's (excellent fitment) but they are really too blue at 7000-8000k in color (claimed on webpage). I would only purchase pure white (not even slight blue - I hate that!) or yellow white... It's really a pity they don't make 5000k. Any owners who can chime in? Are they really blue?

I believe I have 6k Weisslichts and they look white.

JupiterBMW
03-02-2013, 01:54 PM
I believe I have 6k Weisslichts and they look white.

Can you compare to new BMWs you've seen on the road?? How do they compare in brightness and color?

BavarianZHP
03-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Interesting that they are 6k - that would be alright. From Bimmian's webpage pics some are really blue while others are white. It would be great for those who ordered Wiesslichts to maybe detail what they ordered and their colors?

Here are the image samples from their webpage:
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc12/Bike_enthusiast/ML_050_zpsee5b6745.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc12/Bike_enthusiast/ML_040_zps49ca400f.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc12/Bike_enthusiast/ML_020_zps84307570.jpg

They have an installation .pdf file and the pics in there are most similar to pic #2 (the one that is most blue - see very last page):
http://www.bimmian.com/elements/page.htm/instructions.ht/PHO/PHO.pdf

I would love them to be white like pic #3

BavarianZHP
03-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Oh, does anyone make the glass fiber optic corona rings like in the BMW's with OEM angel eyes? I would rather just have to change out a single LED than get a whole brand new set, once LED's start failing since these replicas are using cheapo LED's - CREE's are usually $10 a piece.

JupiterBMW
03-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Interesting that they are 6k - that would be alright. From Bimmian's webpage pics some are really blue while others are white. It would be great for those who ordered Wiesslichts to maybe detail what they ordered and their colors?

I would love them to be white like pic #3

In regards to this, I've stopped judging angel eyes based on pics... I've taken a bunch of pics of our X3 which has the BMW corona rings and in the photos they look yellow, sort of like old school halogens. But when you actually see them, they are pure white, the perfect color in my eyes. That is why I asked Dane how his compare to the newest BMW models on the road.

I agree, I want them to look like the new BMWs.. BTW, what's CREE??

Dave_B
03-03-2013, 05:28 AM
CREE is a manufacturer of LED's. Very common in LED flashlights too. They make several different CREE LED models.

http://www.cree.com/

With regards to AE's. I'm with you guys. I want mine to look OEM factory.

danewilson77
03-03-2013, 05:44 AM
In regards to this, I've stopped judging angel eyes based on pics... I've taken a bunch of pics of our X3 which has the BMW corona rings and in the photos they look yellow, sort of like old school halogens. But when you actually see them, they are pure white, the perfect color in my eyes. That is why I asked Dane how his compare to the newest BMW models on the road.

I agree, I want them to look like the new BMWs.. BTW, what's CREE??

The new BMW's seem to match mine pretty good (pure white). But I know in past years, many looked yellow as compared to mine. I'm sure they ran the 4300K ae's stock. It's a bit of a yellow hue, but there's zero light loss. I believe, like I said, that mine are 6000K. I do not know Kelvin rating on new BMW's but they look whiter than years past.

WOLFN8TR
03-03-2013, 08:07 AM
CREE
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cree_Inc.

derbo
03-03-2013, 07:38 PM
The new BMW's seem to match mine pretty good (pure white). But I know in past years, many looked yellow as compared to mine. I'm sure they ran the 4300K ae's stock. It's a bit of a yellow hue, but there's zero light loss. I believe, like I said, that mine are 6000K. I do not know Kelvin rating on new BMW's but they look whiter than years past.

The original AE on factory cars were halogen color which is considered probably in the 3000k-4000k range. The newer BMW is very close to 4300k-5000k imo. It's leaning alot closer to blue-ish white than anything.

I wish they made amber-ish Weisslichts (just realized this means white lights in german) to match the older halogen lights. Down the line, I will want to install these as switched parking/city lights rather than DRL lights. I would definitely add a rheostat in there to turn down the brightness too. The standard 12V brightness is too much for me even if BMW does it from the factory now.

BavarianZHP
03-03-2013, 07:39 PM
CREE makes excellent LED's. Off the topic of angel eyes, but I'm not sure why no manufacturer isn't hooking up with them to make bright LED turn signal bulbs for us. One CREE LED will outlast, outshine, and outperform the multiple LED bulbs currently on the market. Why have these ridiculous bulbs with 40 or whatever number of LEDs when you can just have one that can be literally blinding in brightness?

sillieidiot
03-07-2013, 09:41 PM
I remember you talking about him doing yours. I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

you can also mail your headlights to me. i've done a few of those lol obviously i can't do the wiring on the car, but at least you don't have to worry about baking the headlights. takes like a week or so though to the package to travel back and forth.

CREE makes excellent LED's. Off the topic of angel eyes, but I'm not sure why no manufacturer isn't hooking up with them to make bright LED turn signal bulbs for us. One CREE LED will outlast, outshine, and outperform the multiple LED bulbs currently on the market. Why have these ridiculous bulbs with 40 or whatever number of LEDs when you can just have one that can be literally blinding in brightness?

there are some. but because of how the housings are supposed to work, it actually looks dimmer. maybe if they make a backward facing CREE, then it would be bright. also when it's on, but not blinking, it's only 6v. it looks like a dim dot. at night though, it's super bright, but i think it looks weird cause it doesn't light up the housing. looks more like a projector was retrofitting into the corners. i don't know if they can even handle blinking tbh, because the one i tried failed after like a couple months.

another reason is that they are expensive to make and they generate a lot of heat.

BavarianZHP
03-07-2013, 10:26 PM
there are some. but because of how the housings are supposed to work, it actually looks dimmer. maybe if they make a backward facing CREE, then it would be bright. also when it's on, but not blinking, it's only 6v. it looks like a dim dot. at night though, it's super bright, but i think it looks weird cause it doesn't light up the housing. looks more like a projector was retrofitting into the corners. i don't know if they can even handle blinking tbh, because the one i tried failed after like a couple months.

another reason is that they are expensive to make and they generate a lot of heat.

The LED's I am familiar with do not generate a lot of heat and are bright enough to blind if need be (trust me, I saw this in person - perhaps a little too close!). Take a look at candlepowerforums.com where there's a bunch of chatter on the topic (and a forum I am familiar with). There's a lot of modern flashlights with their single LED and they are more than enough to do the job. Which LED did you obtain? They produce many, the high quality ones should be able to handle blinking. Your observation on a rear facing LED is correct, LED's have a problem emitting light in a broad beam.

sillieidiot
03-08-2013, 01:09 AM
yea i'm on candlepowerforums too lol well not so much anymore cause it causes me to buy shit and make stuff i don't need. i don't remember the actual LED name, but it was one of the older models. but either way, it's definitely a heat problem. Not only coming from the LED itself but there is no cooling mechanism in the corner housing. it's not going to last the 50k or so hours it's rated for sure. there's no way a chinese manufacturer is going to R&D proper thermal dissipation design to make it last. i think all they do is get the LED and attach a huge heatsink to it and hope for the best.

it's probably better to go with an array of LEDs that take up the whole surface area of the housing. it just won't look as good when off.

danewilson77
03-08-2013, 06:46 AM
I believe this was a "Hey guys....I would like to buy a set of used angel eyes" thread.

ejp, is this correct?

ejp2fast
03-08-2013, 07:13 PM
that is correct. however, i just ordered khoaltys. good info here thought on the details of angel eyes and comparisons / differences.

danewilson77
03-08-2013, 07:20 PM
that is correct. however, i just ordered khoaltys. good info here thought on the details of angel eyes and comparisons / differences.

Good deal.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA

ejp2fast
03-12-2013, 05:18 AM
direct future posts to the Angel Eyes Fitment (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?7651-Angel-Eyes-Fitment) thread.