PDA

View Full Version : Weird emergency brake problem

Sockethead
03-06-2013, 08:53 PM
I got this weird problem that I want to run by you guys before I take everything apart...
My e brake hold fine when the car is parked on an agle where it would roll forward but on an agle where it would roll backwards it won't hold no matter how hard I pull on the lever. adjusting at the lever doesn't help... weird, eh? Maybe the pins that hold the shoes on are broken? I can't imagine both of them breaking...

Lespaulman16
03-07-2013, 12:09 AM
When rolling backwards, does it pull to either direction?

Sent from an over-glorified pager

Hornung418
03-07-2013, 05:04 AM
Park it in gear.

Mtnman
03-07-2013, 05:23 AM
I have no idea. But am interested to know what it was when you find out.

NorCalZman
03-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Does e46 have bad e brakes? San Francisco is very hilly. When I first got the car the e brake would not hold it on hills either. I ended up needing 2 trips to the dealer to have it fixed.

Oli77
03-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Time to adjust in the wheel itself. Remove one of the studs, use a flash light to shine down the hole and rotate wheel until you see the ridged wheel that needs adjusting. Bavauto has a DIY I think.

Do this with the wheel still on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8swHI5QluTM

Dave1027
03-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Try this first:
E-brake adjustment (http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-Ebrake_Adjustment/E36-Ebrake_Adjustment.htm)

If that does not fix it do this:
Brake shoe replacement (http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/101-Projects-55-Parking-Brake-Shoe/101-Projects-55-Parking-Brake-Shoe.htm)

Johnmadd
03-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Time to adjust in the wheel itself. Remove one of the studs, use a flash light to shine down the hole and rotate wheel until you see the ridged wheel that needs adjusting. Bavauto has a DIY I think.

Do this with the wheel still on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8swHI5QluTM

Agree. You may have to loosen the part inside that you have already adjusted before making the adjustment at the wheels.

llll1l1ll
03-07-2013, 11:24 AM
I would recommend tightening your ebrake cable and then adjusting the tightness at the shoes. From there, you can see if you need new shoes. It may be that the shoes have "seated" in a position that doesn't allow them to catch rolling forward. Mine are like that - the car rolls a bit before they catch if I'm parking where the car will roll backward.

Be careful tightening your cables. The ones on my E30 broke because they were too tight lol.

Dave1027
03-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Sometimes brake shoes need to "wedge in" to work properly. This means making sure the shoes are able to move radially.

Sockethead
03-07-2013, 04:24 PM
All good ideas (except for you Horney:shift) I already adjusted the cables at the e-brake handle...
Come to think of it, It's been like this ever since it started rolling down the the driveway and Kpro yanked the e-brake on from the back seat... she's as strong as an ox so maybe something got fuct up in there... I think I'll just do a full teardown. I got an extra harware set for them already.
I hope it starts getting warm soon... I gotta do a regulator and headlight bowl conversion too...

Stewbie
03-07-2013, 05:40 PM
I believe the diy manuals say adjust the shoes first, then adjust the cable. Also owner's manual says to operate the e brake periodically otherwise drum glazes over or something like that and shoes lose grip.

Johnmadd
03-07-2013, 06:27 PM
I believe the diy manuals say adjust the shoes first, then adjust the cable. Also owner's manual says to operate the e brake periodically otherwise drum glazes over or something like that and shoes lose grip.

Good answer. That is why I recommend to loosen them and then do the wheels and re-tighten the cables inside the car.

Sockethead
03-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Yep that's the way I originally adjusted them when I did my e brake refresh a few years ago...

Johnmadd
03-07-2013, 07:27 PM
You drove with the e-brake on... admit it bro

WOLFN8TR
04-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread soooo....

I have a rattling noise coming from my front brakes. While driving if I apply the brakes it goes away. Figured it was the anti rattle clips so I ordered two more. Went to install these and noticed I do actually have them. Do they go bad? They don't seem loose or anything.

kayger12
04-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Rotors maybe warped a bit? What's the mileage on the brakes and rotors?

BCS_ZHP
04-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Recheck your caliper retention bolts on the backside of the caliper, ask me how I know.

danewilson77
04-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Recheck your caliper retention bolts on the backside of the caliper, ask me how I know.

:rofl

WOLFN8TR
04-06-2013, 05:32 PM
As far as I know they could be original rotors. I have 116K on the ZHP.
I will take a look at the caliper bolts tonight and see what's up. Thanks.