PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Lenses - Alternative Replacements?

EmDeeAr
03-14-2013, 06:54 AM
The headlight lenses on my ZHP are foggy and pitted. New unit's from BMW are about $100 per lens, give or take depending on if you have ZKW or halogen lights. According to RealOEM, the ZKW lenses are a different, and more expensive, part than the halogen lenses.

A poster over at E46Fanatics suggested Khoalty lens replacements. The sentiment on that forum is that they are quality units.

However, Khoalty doesn't offer different lenses for ZKW vs halogen lights. I emailed Khoalty, and they said that the lenses they send out are good for ZKWs, but that they could send out units made for just halogen lights as well (I'm not why anyone would opt for this, though, as I would think the ZKW lenses are "better" anyway).

They are a steal at $70.... PER PAIR! Then, tack on $40 for a new pair of headlight seals. $70 + $40 = $110, which is about the price of just ONE lens from BMW.

What do you guys think of these things? Have any of you purchased them?

terraphantm
03-14-2013, 06:59 AM
I sincerely believe the only difference between the ZKW/AL and HID vs non HID lenses are the markings for bulb type and brand. I highly doubt the plastic is any different.

I've heard good thinks about khoalty's lenses. Can't say that about their customer service or other products however.

danewilson77
03-14-2013, 07:14 AM
I just installed Magnetti Marelli's from www.autohausaz.com. beautiful product and AL branded.

They are an affiliate as well.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/j.jpg

midlandtech
03-14-2013, 07:20 AM
I had great results with the 3m polishing kit and then had a shop film them total cost was 60 for both lenses (20 for the 3m and 40 for the film)

terraphantm
03-14-2013, 07:23 AM
$70/pair beats $120 for a pair and $60 for polishing and film... My personal experience with polishing is that it isn't perfect. Imperfections are still visible from certain angles.

EmDeeAr
03-14-2013, 07:24 AM
I just installed Magnetti Marelli's from www.autohausaz.com. beautiful product and AL branded.

They are an affiliate as well.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/j.jpg

I'm a little confused here. Affiliate of who/what? BMW? What does AL branded mean?

Thanks.

EmDeeAr
03-14-2013, 07:26 AM
$70/pair beats $120 for a pair and $60 for polishing and film... My personal experience with polishing is that it isn't perfect. Imperfections are still visible from certain angles.

Yeah, and I've heard that the cloudiness often returns because in polishing, the protective film is removed. If you get it re-filmed, though, I assume that would be a different story.

New seems the way to go. Khoalty's product is appealing because I can also get new seals!

johnrando
03-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Sedan owners are lucky in that you can replace lenses. I think polish is more for us vert/coupe owners as we can't swap out the lenses.

derbo
03-14-2013, 07:41 AM
AL and ZKW lenses interchange. I've watch my old coworker put AL lenses on his ZKW headlights with no modification.

I believe Magnetti Marelli is the the supplier of the AL brand.

alexandre
03-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Yup, they interchange. I have ZKW assemblies on AL lenses.

fredo
03-14-2013, 08:07 AM
I did the polish method on my 2006 330i. That was 3 years ago when I bought the car. Up to now, the lenses are still in good shape. But, my car stays in the garage most of the time (at work and home).

alexandre
03-14-2013, 08:08 AM
What trashes lenses ? Highway gravel and bugs and stuff or sun/cold ?

danewilson77
03-14-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm a little confused here. Affiliate of who/what? BMW? What does AL branded mean?

Thanks.

They are an affiliate advertiser on ZHPMafia.com. When we buy from there, using the affiliate link, the site makes money.

AL=Automotive Lighting.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA

jiggz
03-14-2013, 06:43 PM
The headlight lenses on my ZHP are foggy and pitted. New unit's from BMW are about $100 per lens, give or take depending on if you have ZKW or halogen lights. According to RealOEM, the ZKW lenses are a different, and more expensive, part than the halogen lenses.

A poster over at E46Fanatics suggested Khoalty lens replacements. The sentiment on that forum is that they are quality units.

However, Khoalty doesn't offer different lenses for ZKW vs halogen lights. I emailed Khoalty, and they said that the lenses they send out are good for ZKWs, but that they could send out units made for just halogen lights as well (I'm not why anyone would opt for this, though, as I would think the ZKW lenses are "better" anyway).

They are a steal at $70.... PER PAIR! Then, tack on $40 for a new pair of headlight seals. $70 + $40 = $110, which is about the price of just ONE lens from BMW.

What do you guys think of these things? Have any of you purchased them?

I purchased new headlight covers from Khoalty 2 years ago and haven't had any issues with them. I don't think it matters if you have AL or ZKW xenons - the covers should be interchangeable (mine are ZKW for what it's worth). I didn't replace the seals either. I've had some very minor fogging 2 or 3 times in 2 years, but it went away quickly. Otherwise, they've been perfect.

These are the only non-OEM parts on my car. I almost always avoid this sort of aftermarket stuff and instead pay the extra $ for OEM, but this was the one time I made an exception given the cost difference, and what they are...pieces of plastic.

NorCalZman
03-14-2013, 06:55 PM
I didn't replace the seals either. I've had some very minor fogging 2 or 3 times in 2 years, but it went away quickly. Otherwise, they've been perfect.

I replaced my Lenses with OEM lenses. I did not replace the seals either and my headlights will now fog in a rain storm. I bought new seals but the ones BMW sells are completely different than what is in the car now. What is in the car is a thin rubber like material. What I bought from BMW was much thicker and more foam like. Try as I might, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get the lenses on with these new seals, so I have given up.

jiggz
03-14-2013, 07:16 PM
I replaced my Lenses with OEM lenses. I did not replace the seals either and my headlights will now fog in a rain storm. I bought new seals but the ones BMW sells are completely different than what is in the car now. What is in the car is a thin rubber like material. What I bought from BMW was much thicker and more foam like. Try as I might, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get the lenses on with these new seals, so I have given up.

Dang, that must be really frustrating! Mine fogged up pretty good the first time I drove it after installation, and I thought for sure I'd be pulling them back off and replacing the seals. But after that first drive, I can only remember them fogging up once, maybe twice, and it was pretty minimal. It's also just the one side that has done it, and it goes away quickly.

Vas
10-19-2014, 06:58 AM
Wanted to double check before I order a set of lenses.

Car has zkw headlights. Need new lenses.

Not paying $200 for a set of OEM BMW lenses and don't want KHOALTY.

Other option is Magnetti Marelli lenses. Price is roughly $120 for both. These will fit and work on zkw headlights? Only difference is that they are stamped with AL instead of zkw?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Magneti-Marelli-BMW-e46-Left-Right-Headlight-Lens-Plastic-Cover-Set-NEW-/281238238277

danewilson77
10-19-2014, 05:22 PM
Wanted to double check before I order a set of lenses.

Car has zkw headlights. Need new lenses.

Not paying $200 for a set of OEM BMW lenses and don't want KHOALTY.

Other option is Magnetti Marelli lenses. Price is roughly $120 for both. These will fit and work on zkw headlights? Only difference is that they are stamped with AL instead of zkw?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Magneti-Marelli-BMW-e46-Left-Right-Headlight-Lens-Plastic-Cover-Set-NEW-/281238238277
Yes. These are what I have.

No flame suit required!

Vas
10-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Sounds good. Time to order a pair.

ELCID86
10-19-2014, 05:59 PM
Reminds me I need some too. Looks like they are $136. Correct?

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Vas
10-19-2014, 06:51 PM
That is correct

ELCID86
10-20-2014, 06:28 AM
That is correct

http://www.autohausaz.com is a bit cheaper at $129.82 for a pair (no gasket).

Vas
10-20-2014, 06:32 AM
Shoot even better. Thanks Shawn.

I tried to restore the current lenses on the wife's car and they are just gone.

slater
10-20-2014, 06:41 AM
vas, i used the khoalty ones on my car ($70-$80 pair) and they have been great. good fitment and finish.

peter

Pip
10-20-2014, 06:55 AM
vas, i used the khoalty ones on my car ($70-$80 pair) and they have been great. good fitment and finish.

peter

+1

alexandre
10-20-2014, 06:58 AM
FCP euro has the Magnetti lenses for $64.95 a corner too. RM European carries AL for 63.91. Getting due for mine, but my front end is so pitted that i'll wait until I repaint it before refreshing the lenses!

Vas
10-20-2014, 07:08 AM
So it comes down to Khoalty for $80 for a pair with free shipping or Magnetti lenses for roughly $130 with free shipping.

I guess it really does not matter as long as both fit fine and clear laminate or clear coat can be applied for them to last longer.

slater
10-20-2014, 07:13 AM
FCP euro has the Magnetti lenses for $64.95 a corner too. RM European carries AL for 63.91. Getting due for mine, but my front end is so pitted that i'll wait until I repaint it before refreshing the lenses!

alex, just get them and enjoy the increased output! :)

So it comes down to Khoalty for $80 for a pair with free shipping or Magnetti lenses for roughly $130 with free shipping.

I guess it really does not matter as long as both fit fine and clear laminate or clear coat can be applied for them to last longer.

exactly. i have been meaning to get the 3M film stuff for mine.

peter

theothersawyer
10-20-2014, 07:19 AM
Glad this thread came up! Mine need to be replaced and I don't want to spend the extra money for OEM if I don't have to!

So just so I got this straight, buy aftermarket covers, but OEM gaskets?

danewilson77
10-20-2014, 10:26 AM
I wonder if Ray can get us lenses?

No flame suit required!

Simmsled
10-21-2014, 04:34 PM
I wonder if Ray can get us lenses?

No flame suit required!

When I think of Ray, I always think of this guy: http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/f_6611.jpg
Few key differences tho.
Not shady... not watches... nothing but deals for your wheels. ...oh, and wheels too.

cakM3
10-30-2014, 03:51 AM
New lenses and laminate film is what I use to protect the surface of my new lenses. I got my laminate film from Headlight Armor. Here's the link :thumbsup

http://www.headlightarmor.com/bmw-lighting-kits.aspx?page=13 (http://www.headlightarmor.com/bmw-lighting-kits.aspx?page=13)

On the web page the film for our ZHPs are on the bottom right section of the web page. For me it was well worth the pricing as I have perfect lenses on my ///M going on 3 years now :)

Vas
12-17-2014, 07:28 AM
Out of curiosity, do the lenses from khoalty have anything stamped on the front?

slater
12-17-2014, 07:46 AM
Out of curiosity, do the lenses from khoalty have anything stamped on the front?

i don't think so. i'll double-check later.

Vas
12-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Thanks for checking.

Right now $80 for a pair plus free shipping is hard to beat.

Johnmadd
12-17-2014, 08:41 AM

They have a depo clear stamp, I can get a picture at lunch if you wanna see it. It doesn't bother me at all that the stamp is there.

Vas
12-17-2014, 08:43 AM
If you don't mind that would be great.

Johnmadd
12-17-2014, 09:05 AM
I was wrong, no stamp.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc407/johnmadd1979/20141217_120233.jpg (http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/johnmadd1979/media/20141217_120233.jpg.html)

Johnmadd
12-17-2014, 09:06 AM
The corners and tails have the stamp though.

Vas
12-17-2014, 09:36 AM
That is what I wanted to know. Placing order :)

ZHP Dave
12-17-2014, 10:36 AM
I wish I'd have just bought the $80 pair instead of OEM ZKW lenses. Even after buying a protective film I'd have saved about $90.

Boca_RatonZHP
11-17-2015, 12:19 PM
Bumping this thread because I'm running on really old lenses.

I haven't an 05 zhp convertible. Is there no other option to replace lenses?

If not has anyone replaced their headlights on convertibles because of this?

Help! I'm new on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vas
11-17-2015, 12:34 PM
Bumping this thread because I'm running on really old lenses.

I haven't an 05 zhp convertible. Is there no other option to replace lenses?

If not has anyone replaced their headlights on convertibles because of this?

Help! I'm new on here

On coupe/verts you cannot replace the lense. Here are the 3 methods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa3GpmKax1I

If you are not capable of doing it yourself, take the car to a body shop and have them sand and clear the lights.

BMWCurves
11-17-2015, 12:38 PM
It's a lot tougher on coupes/verts because I *believe* the lenses are effectively glued to the headlight housing, so you have to bake them or use a heat gun to remove the lens, buy new ones (not sure where you can source them or for how much) and then glue and bake the new ones on. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember from my days searching for angel eyes for coupes.

Were I you, I would try and polish your old lenses. I think you would just start with some coarse sandpaper and wet sand each one, then work your way up to finer and finer grit, then seal the lenses. Someone with a lot more knowledge can chime in.

P.S. is that an MF Doom mask? Nice.

ELCID86
11-17-2015, 05:34 PM
They can be baked off, and some here have done it. I'd try the 3M kit.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

Boca_RatonZHP
11-18-2015, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm gunna try my best to get these things clear again.