PDA

View Full Version : OTC Leather Conditioner?

EmDeeAr
03-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Hey all,

I'm looking for a good over-the-counter leather conditioner. I don't feel like buying one online and waiting for it. Something simple and OTC will do just fine for me because my leather is already in great shape, so I'm just trying to keep it fresh.

I've read that Lexol is pretty good.

What do you guys think? Any first hand experiences?

Torxuvin
03-20-2013, 10:48 AM
I use lexol cleaner and conditioner every few months on the corvette. I think it works pretty well for regular upkeep. I used it on the M3 before that. My dad's used it for years on his porsches.

Avetiso
03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
A lot of people like meguirs leather cleaner

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

SoarinZHP
03-20-2013, 12:20 PM
I liquid "Liquid Honey." I use it once or twice a year and I'm pleased with the results.

EmDeeAr
03-20-2013, 12:36 PM
A lot of people like meguirs leather cleaner

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I've used Meguire's but it's kinda greasy.

I'll try Lexol this time around.

Thanks all.

BRGcoopahS
03-20-2013, 01:16 PM
I have lexol and it works ok. I always feel like I'm doing it wrong, or not scrubbing hard enough for it to work as well as it claims.

Dave_B
03-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Zymol user here.

I use their cleaner and conditioner.

BimmerWill
03-20-2013, 02:25 PM
I just picked up a set of meguiars cleaner and conditioner the other day. I had been using the combo gel that they make but it definitely pays to take the time and use a seperate cleaner and then conditioner. The combo just doesn't do a good enough job IMO. Pretty happy with the results I got from the Meguiars cleaner and conditioner.

midlandtech
03-20-2013, 03:50 PM
I've been very happy with lexol

billyjack
03-20-2013, 06:09 PM
I have the Maguire's Gold Class I think its called. Originally bought it for my wife's car. It seems to do a good job for the money.

I'm not familiar with "Liquid Honey", is that available in stores?

zhp43867
03-20-2013, 06:09 PM
The Zymol OTC stuff is better than most. The Lexol cleaner is pretty darn good. Use it with a terry applicator to get a little more "bite" and remove more dirt. I'd actually just use the cleaner and skip the conditioner. Most OTC conditioners are pretty bad.

niart906
03-22-2013, 12:32 PM
I can vouch for the Zymol OTC cleaner and conditioner. It worked pretty well on the Nappa Leather in the ///M. Similar to leatherique, the Zymol works best when the leather is nice and hot. So I left my car out in the sun for a while and then applied the conditioner. The leather came out much softer feeling, and helped to remove some of the gloss from the leather. Overall not bad for OTC.

I have used Meguiar's leather conditioner on my old 328. It worked pretty well, but left the leather a bit glossy.

That said, this summer I may try leatherique for the hell of it. From what I can gather, leatherique is the best way to go when it comes to leather care.

zhp43867
03-31-2013, 01:33 PM
That said, this summer I may try leatherique for the hell of it. From what I can gather, leatherique is the best way to go when it comes to leather care.

It's definitely one of the top leather systems for old and cracked leather. For new leather, I think you can do better. Leather Masters and a couple others.

ZHPWelt
04-01-2013, 06:18 AM
I like, use BMW's leather conditioner available at any BMW Dealer parts dept. Works very good.

zhp43867
04-01-2013, 06:55 AM
I like, use BMW's leather conditioner available at any BMW Dealer parts dept. Works very good.

The one with UV care? I haven't used it personally but I worked somewhere that sold it and heard the same thing. BMW cherry picks products they like from companies like Sonax, 1Z Einszett and a couple of others IIRC and then has them rebranded. Good companies.

ZHPWelt
04-01-2013, 07:31 AM
The one with UV care? I haven't used it personally but I worked somewhere that sold it and heard the same thing. BMW cherry picks products they like from companies like Sonax, 1Z Einszett and a couple of others IIRC and then has them rebranded. Good companies.

Yes it has UV protection in it. I just feel like BMW as you mentioned has chosen the Right blend of conditioners for the types of leather they use in our cars.

BMW Part# 83 120 411 371

BRGcoopahS
04-01-2013, 05:48 PM
The Zymol OTC stuff is better than most. The Lexol cleaner is pretty darn good. Use it with a terry applicator to get a little more "bite" and remove more dirt. I'd actually just use the cleaner and skip the conditioner. Most OTC conditioners are pretty bad.

I used the lexol on my steering wheel (I have the perf leather one) and it got rid of the shine which I like but it also seemed to have dulled it. It does feel really nice though, no grease.

How much is it? Ive used their wheel cleaner after finding out its sonax only to see that its garbage. Water and my bare hands cleans the rims better than the bmw cleaner.

ZHPWelt
04-01-2013, 06:02 PM
I used the lexol on my steering wheel (I have the perf leather one) and it got rid of the shine which I like but it also seemed to have dulled it. It does feel really nice though, no grease.

How much is it? Ive used their wheel cleaner after finding out its sonax only to see that its garbage. Water and my bare hands cleans the rims better than the bmw cleaner.

The BMW leather conditioner is $20 Retail, may be cheaper at someplace like Circle BMW online.

nike001
04-01-2013, 06:57 PM
The BMW stuff isn't too bad for cleaning. Probably better or the same as the leatherique cleaner.. but the leatherique rejuvinator takes down all IMO.

I'm waiting for a nice hot day to throw some more rejuvinator at it, as it seems leather takes better to cleanings when warm/hot

niart906
04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
^I'm probably gonna just spend the money on some leatherique this summer. The 16oz kit can be had for something like $63 from auto-geek with a coupon code. Is that what you bought nike001? I'm curious how many uses you can get out of the 16 oz.

nike001
04-01-2013, 07:07 PM
What's in the kit? I got mine from detailed image.. and spend $20 for the pristine clean and $30 for the rejuvinator. I probably used about half of the rejuvinator on my car when I did it.. and I felt like I put it on heavier than I should have. (But they say to put it on heavy) Probably went through 2/3 of the pristine clean since it takes a good amount of that to take the rejuvinator off.

It's a messy job... but well worth it IMO. Best to let the rejuvinator sit for as long as possible in warm conditions. Touch ups or adding more would probably only benefit.

niart906
04-01-2013, 07:15 PM
The kit comes with 16oz of Rejuvinator and Pristine clean, plus a leather brush and some microfibers. I've heard the leather brush can really do wonders cleaning out dirt from cracked leather. But that said, I'm sure I could get a cheap brush off amazon. It's not like I need anymore microfibers or applicators.

Hmm, buying them separate from the kit only comes to $54 with a coupon. That's not too bad.

nike001
04-01-2013, 07:21 PM
I have a leather brush that I bought that I forgot to mention above. You're welcome to use that when the time comes to do yours. It only costed me like $4 off detailed image (http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Brushes-M51/Leather-and-Vinyl-Scrub-Brush-P520/)

aurelius
04-03-2013, 08:51 AM
I never pass up an opportunity to rip on Lexol. In particular, their conditioner. Not just once but THREE times in recent years, the product has eaten through its own (thick) plastic container. This has happened to a refill bottle, a spray bottle, and then to another plastic container I used to salvage what I could from one of the original Lexol bottles.

Search around, it's happened to others. And when you see what that stuff does to your hands, I suppose it shouldn't come as any surprise.

Leatherique products are a bit pricey but good stuff (tho not OTC). For cleaning leather, I am a big fan of Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner.