PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Bulb Question

MiniD
03-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Currently, I have LED bulbs in my corners and side markers that are your typical xenon-ish color. They came on the car when I bought it, and look decent on Silvergray, although I'm not sure I would have bought them if it were me.

Anyways, I'm looking for a headlight bulb that somewhat matches the corners and side markers. I just want something that doesn't look as yellow, and has more of a white/xenon tint that doesn't look out of place with the corners and side markers.

I don't know a lot about lighting, so I figured I'd ask for some options on a bulb upgrade!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8370/8591056756_b248119385_b.jpg
*Must have had my turn signal on, lol.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8239/8589957289_d6a0427a1a_b.jpg

nike001
03-25-2013, 02:59 PM
CBI's are probably the closest you're going to get while sticking with the big manufacturers (ie. Xenarc & Phillips). They're also one of the brightest you can get. They're 5k. But they don't really look like 5k compared to other cheap chinese bulbs that are rated at 5k as well.

Other than that, you can try khoalty or theretrofitsource for cheaper 5k bulbs that might match a litttle better, but you'll also sacrifice brightness compared to the better bulbs.

I wouldn't recommend 6k. They're dimmer and are too blue for me.. and most others as well.

Hermes
03-25-2013, 03:01 PM
+1 to CBI's

derbo
03-25-2013, 06:52 PM
CBI is boss. They are pretty expensive..

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=10591

sillieidiot
03-25-2013, 07:25 PM
the CBIs aren't going to match at all. 6000K is a closer match to the LED bulbs. I even have LEDs that are closer to 5000K and they still don't match perfectly. looks fine in pictures or from a distance though

NorCalZman
03-25-2013, 07:46 PM
200 bucks??? I heard Xenon bulbs were expensive but wow. I think I will wait for one of my headlights to burn out before I do this particular upgrade. haha.

sillieidiot
03-26-2013, 12:44 AM
200 bucks??? I heard Xenon bulbs were expensive but wow. I think I will wait for one of my headlights to burn out before I do this particular upgrade. haha.

it's better than buying it from the dealer. it's like 250 per bulb lol

danewilson77
03-26-2013, 04:20 AM

$99 for a pair of Philips D2S bulbs from www.theretrofitsource.com

That's the route I go.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA

alexandre
03-26-2013, 05:00 AM
$99 for a pair of Philips D2S bulbs from www.theretrofitsource.com

That's the route I go.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA

Amazon has them for similar prices too. I have a bill for $48/side in my maintenance history from PO.

EDIT: $42 now. www.amzn.com/B00480J4JG

JupiterBMW
03-26-2013, 06:30 AM

I firmly believe you get what you pay for, and after the burnt bowls headache so many of us have dealt with, why wouldn't you spend the extra money on good bulbs?!?

Personally I prefer the Xenarc SVS bulbs over the CBI bulbs. Less of the blue color and more pure white than the CBI while still being insanely bright.

Either way, but good bulbs, you'll be glad you did.

danewilson77
03-26-2013, 06:47 AM
I firmly believe you get what you pay for, and after the burnt bowls headache so many of us have dealt with, why wouldn't you spend the extra money on good bulbs?!?

Personally I prefer the Xenarc SVS bulbs over the CBI bulbs. Less of the blue color and more pure white than the CBI while still being insanely bright.

Either way, but good bulbs, you'll be glad you did.

In no way is he saying Philips are bad bulbs.

JupiterBMW
03-26-2013, 06:53 AM
In no way is he saying Philips are bad bulbs.

Are you referring to me? Because no, I'm definitely not. I had the OEM Philips bulbs and they are great... I'm mostly referring to the "too good to be true" prices found on eBay and other discount buying places.

Buy authentic, quality bulbs, you'll be glad you did! If the extra funds for the SVS or CBI bulbs are available, I say buy them.

danewilson77
03-26-2013, 06:55 AM
Are you referring to me?

Yes.

Good point. There's a lot of counterfeiting and mis-representation when it comes to thes bulbs.

Good point to get from a known supplier.

I wouldn't even trust Amazon (knowing what I know now).....unless the storefront was someone I recognized....and I would def look at all of the reviews.

Avetiso
03-26-2013, 07:28 AM
You need white fogs!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

MiniD
03-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I'm going to get new fog lights all together.