PDA

View Full Version : OEM Style 42's or VMR V710?

BimmerWill
04-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Im considering getting either one of these two wheels for the car and was thinking if anyone had opinions regarding which would be better as far as fitment and look. I love how the 42's look on the 5 series but not sure if they would fit properly on my car without some modification.

If I were to go with the vmr they would be 18x8.5 et 35 all the way around. I realize the style 42's are staggered so there would be an issue with rotating them but I don't really do that anyway so that's not a major issue.

Thanks as always!
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

danewilson77
04-05-2013, 08:16 AM
OK....so basically one of these two? I like them both, and I think either would compliment either vehicle. One is stock (not modded, less aggressive) and one is not stock (modded, more aggressive). I think it's up to you with what you want and whether or not you want to rotate tires as mentioned.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/bmw_wheel_042.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/V710_wm.jpg

BimmerWill
04-05-2013, 08:32 AM
I love the open spoke design of the vmr's I guess im just considering other options that may be a little cheaper to run. Granted the staggered setup might be a little more expensive due to width. Im not sure exactly what size the 42's are exactly.

webster
04-05-2013, 08:49 AM
are the style 42s OEM or reps? the OEM 18s for the E39 Sport Pkg have offsets that will require fender modifications to fit your car.

that said, i do think they are the best looking wheel for the E46, hands down.

fredo
04-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Just based on looks, I would go with the VMR. My 2 cents.

midlandtech
04-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Just based on looks, I would go with the VMR. My 2 cents.

Ditto

Avetiso
04-05-2013, 11:16 AM
VMR's are nice, but you will need the stance to rock them. I don't think they would look good without a drop because the spokes have large gaps between them, and I don't think those wheels would look good next to large wheel gaps.

BimmerWill
04-05-2013, 11:30 AM
VMR's are nice, but you will need the stance to rock them. I don't think they would look good without a drop because the spokes have large gaps between them, and I don't think those wheels would look good next to large wheel gaps.

Im on coilovers so no issues with gappage here ;)

Newjack
04-05-2013, 03:27 PM
I would go vmr because those are the wheels I'm eventually going to get. They look gorgeous and are 10x easier to clean than the style 135's

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

BimmerWill
04-05-2013, 04:47 PM
I would go vmr because those are the wheels I'm eventually going to get. They look gorgeous and are 10x easier to clean than the style 135's

Practicality is a good point as far as cleaning them goes the VMS's would be so much easier to get the grime off that's for sure.

BCS_ZHP
04-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Take a look at Preston's project thread, he added VMRs and even his mama lusts for them.

BimmerWill
04-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Take a look at Preston's project thread, he added VMRs and even his mama lusts for them.

Screen name? Im terrible with putting names with screen names lol

BCS_ZHP
04-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Psells_zhp, his project thread

zhpnsnv
04-06-2013, 03:27 AM
I hear VMRs bend and break quite a bit from folks who have them up here in my area. Knowing what I know now, I personally would not consider buying them, but they do make a very good-looking wheel.

BimmerWill
04-06-2013, 05:08 AM
I hear VMRs bend and break quite a bit from folks who have them up here in my area. Knowing what I know now, I personally would not consider buying them, but they do make a very good-looking wheel.

Oh that is not something I was aware of. What about road conditions in your area? That's the first id heard of them having problems.

zhpnsnv
04-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Oh that is not something I was aware of. What about road conditions in your area? That's the first id heard of them having problems.

Road conditions blow, especially just after winter.

psells_zhp
04-06-2013, 07:49 AM
I have the V710's on my car and I love them

BimmerWill
04-06-2013, 08:21 AM
They are gorgeous, I dont anticipate them being in too much danger during the time that I will be running them as they will be a devoted summer set and I will keep my oem's for winter. It's just a matter or securing the funds for them and the tires...lord knows when that will be lol.

Newjack
04-06-2013, 08:35 AM
If you run 18s and don't slam into potholes like your driving a Tacoma you shouldn't have any problems with wheels bending or cracking. But since I don't own the wheels yet I can't say with 100% certainty.

Rovert
04-06-2013, 11:05 AM
I've hit some decently sized holes that you can pot a tree in. The wheels have been flawless in their strength to hold up during my 4 years of owning them. I do drive them summer only but that doesn't stop holes from happening. LOL You'd think my 19's and harder suspension would have weakened from it...so 18's will be able to handle even more abuse.

BimmerWill
04-06-2013, 11:29 AM
I try to avoid potholes when at all possible and have a majority of them plotted out in my mind on my usual route so I know when to deviate to the left or right in expectation of hitting one. That being said we all make mistakes and I've forgotten once or twice and given my oems a slight rap. Its good to know the VMR's can handle the same.

Rovert
04-06-2013, 12:00 PM
It's very easy to avoid. I was in pothole alley, Edmonton, Alberta. The ice and snow is thawing and spring is showing its beautiful warmth there and big giant holes are being unveiled from the lack of ice keeping it smooth. I watch how people swerve to avoid them which is the most dangerous thing to do given the size and depth of some of them. Cornering your car and hitting a pothole not only sounds nasty, but you're probably putting the outside corner into the hole while lateral forces try to change direction of the car. So now you're sliding the tire and probably risking hitting the wheel rim against the raw asphalt....your suspension components are taking a huge stress from the hit as well.

The easiest and no brainer way to solve this problem as I observed with drivers in Edmonton.....LEAVE SPACE IN FRONT. It's near impossible to react when the car in front has unveiled a pothole and you're 1 second away from his behind. Look far ahead once you have space. You're not walking or running and only need to only look 10 feet in front of you. You're traveling 10-20x faster than you walk/run....

Doing that will give you ample time to reposition your vehicle without any sudden movements. In Montréal there was a hole bit enough that if you swerved within it, your car will flip from the force. An unlucky driver did that and wrote off his car.

danewilson77
04-06-2013, 12:10 PM
It's very easy to avoid. I was in pothole alley, Edmonton, Alberta. The ice and snow is thawing and spring is showing its beautiful warmth there and big giant holes are being unveiled from the lack of ice keeping it smooth. I watch how people swerve to avoid them which is the most dangerous thing to do given the size and depth of some of them. Cornering your car and hitting a pothole not only sounds nasty, but you're probably putting the outside corner into the hole while lateral forces try to change direction of the car. So now you're sliding the tire and probably risking hitting the wheel rim against the raw asphalt....your suspension components are taking a huge stress from the hit as well.

The easiest and no brainer way to solve this problem as I observed with drivers in Edmonton.....LEAVE SPACE IN FRONT. It's near impossible to react when the car in front has unveiled a pothole and you're 1 second away from his behind. Look far ahead once you have space. You're not walking or running and only need to only look 10 feet in front of you. You're traveling 10-20x faster than you walk/run....

Doing that will give you ample time to reposition your vehicle without any sudden movements. In Montréal there was a hole bit enough that if you swerved within it, your car will flip from the force. An unlucky driver did that and wrote off his car.

:waldo

BimmerWill
04-06-2013, 12:50 PM

Great advice. Im guilty of following a little too close on occasion so I would def try to increase my distance once I get a set.

Mike V
04-06-2013, 08:42 PM
V710s. I like Apex ARC-8s too.

BimmerWill
04-06-2013, 10:21 PM
V710s. I like Apex ARC-8s too.

Think one of the reason I like the vmr's is the concave they have to them...just adds that wow affect when your standing at an angle to them. The apexes don't appear to have that but they have the great split spoke design that I love as well. Thanks for the recommendation!

derbo
04-06-2013, 11:26 PM
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5179&d=1342943365

Style 42s are always nice. :D

I tried on the Z3/E36 17s ones

sillieidiot
04-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Think one of the reason I like the vmr's is the concave they have to them...just adds that wow affect when your standing at an angle to them. The apexes don't appear to have that but they have the great split spoke design that I love as well. Thanks for the recommendation!

the VMRs don't even have a true concave design. the spokes come out then go in deep in the lug area. doesn't look concave at all to me.

BimmerWill
04-07-2013, 06:52 AM
the VMRs don't even have a true concave design. the spokes come out then go in deep in the lug area. doesn't look concave at all to me.

Could you give an example of what you would consider concave. Perhaps I have a different definition of the word in my mind.

danewilson77
04-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Could you give an example of what you would consider concave. Perhaps I have a different definition of the word in my mind.

He's referring to the spokes. "True concave" would be where the spokes immediately start their transition to the hub area, when they leave the barrel.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA

BimmerWill
04-07-2013, 07:08 AM
He's referring to the spokes. "True concave" would be where the spokes immediately start their transition to the hub area, when they leave the barrel.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA

Ah okay Gotcha. Makes sense thanks Dane.

danewilson77
04-07-2013, 07:17 AM
These are getting closer. VMW V718.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/vmr-v718-wheels-audi-a4-b8-sunken-treasure-1.jpg

BimmerWill
04-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Yeah those do curve in quicker then the V710's.

Think I still like the 710's better based on the way the spokes are split a little differently. I can't really explain it but the CSL style wheels look just a little different then the 710's in that they draw more attention of the eye to the space between each of the split spokes. I think it has something to do with the amount of space and angle there is between each spoke at the split. Not sure if that makes any sense or not lol.

The 710's look more like a "Y" to me whereas the CSL style seem to look more like "U" with the inside of the U being the space in between each spoke. I hope that illustration isn't confusing...

johnrando
04-07-2013, 06:56 PM
So what did you decide? I like VMRs btw.

BimmerWill
04-07-2013, 07:26 PM
I believe I'm def going to go with the VMR's but will more than likely not be able to afford them until later in the year. I can't get a whole lot of work in during school so the summer is my only time to make a steady income and even then its just barely above minimum wage. If the car is good to me and I have no major hiccups I should be rolling them possibly in the fall for a little while before the stock wheels go back on for the winter. While I have the VMR's on I hope to take the rash out of the old wheels and repaint them.

derbo
04-07-2013, 08:22 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6206/6067529947_372d9eb12c_b.jpg

This picture made me want Style 42s..of course these are the rare 18"..

webster
04-07-2013, 09:21 PM
that shot is :drool all the way around, until you realize the stretch/poke effect going on from having to fit those offsets. not my thing really, which is a shame cause they are by far the best looking bmw wheel ever made imo.

BimmerWill
04-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Those do look gorgeous. I'm with you though web that would take some work to get them to fit. 18" are what I want as well so that being said it would be unlikely I could find any that would be within my price range or that I could find in the first place.

Your Avant Gardes look great as well.

derbo
04-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Yes sorry, I just had to bring it up since I've been wanting these wheels to fit properly every since I've seen them in that pic. :X

VMR it is. ;0

danewilson77
04-08-2013, 03:14 AM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6206/6067529947_372d9eb12c_b.jpg

Dat Splitter. Dat rims.

BimmerWill
04-08-2013, 03:20 AM
^ were these wheels on Jason Stathams car in the first Transporter movie? I feel like they were. Or at least something very similar.

derbo
04-08-2013, 07:43 AM
^ were these wheels on Jason Stathams car in the first Transporter movie? I feel like they were. Or at least something very similar.

http://www.ultimatedriveapp.com/blog/wp-content/upLoads/t1bmw.jpg

looks like aftermarket to me.

BimmerWill
04-08-2013, 07:44 AM
http://www.ultimatedriveapp.com/blog/wp-content/upLoads/t1bmw.jpg

looks like aftermarket to me.

Ah good form. Sexy though.