PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about this (tune)...? (DRM Motorwerks)

Washburn
04-12-2013, 08:06 AM
So these guys recently opened their 'store' next to the indie BMW repair shop I go to for my needs, and seeing a lot of talk about their tunes, I just shot them an email, mostly out of curiosity....
http://www.drmmotorworx.com/Pages/default.aspx

and this is what I heard back:

"...I would be more than happy to assist you with tuning your 330Ci. A few of the benefits with our software would be; smoother power delivery, improved fuel efficiency, lower engine temperature, and an increase of power across the entire RPM range. Specifically tuned for different fuel, climate, and hardware our estimated gains on the 330Ci reach about 15 horsepower and 12 pounds of torque. The price for this tune would run $545.00 plus tax, let me know if you have any other questions!.."

What do you guys think? should I pursue this a bit and see? is it worth it?

LivesNearCostco
04-12-2013, 05:05 PM
If that's +15 peak RWHP from a tune alone I would be very impressed. Some tunes can deliver +15 RWHP at non-peak parts of the HP curve (say at 3000 or 4000 RPM) but less (+4 to +9) at the peak (around 6000 RPM). In my case I used the Shark, which is a "generic" prepackaged tune, and got +9 peak RWHP when combined with underdrive pulleys. I had to keep my cats and run 91 Octane gas, and in those cases Shark only advertises +4 peak RWHP, along with better throttle response, 7000RPM redline, etc. I think there's a different Shark that promises a bigger power increase on the E46 330 if you have headers and can run 93 Octane.

A custom tune on a dyno could give you more than the Shark Injector because it's optimized for your car, but not sure you can get +15 peak at the wheels unless you add some other bolt-on (intake, pulleys, or exhaust). I think on E46fanatics there are folks who got +30 or even +40 peak RWHP by combining intake, tune, pulleys, catless header, and exhaust.

johnrando
04-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Those #'s seem optimistic, but tunes do help. Eurocharged is cheaper and offers tunes. Understand wanting to use one so close to you.

BimmerWill
04-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Those #'s seem optimistic, but tunes do help. Eurocharged is cheaper and offers tunes. Understand wanting to use one so close to you.

This would be my suggestion as well. Plus they do additional changes to the tune if you ever add anything.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Washburn
04-13-2013, 04:19 PM
So what do you guys with Eurocharged think? happy? worth it?
Does Eurocharge need any hardware (air intake etc) mods or just the ECU flash? It seems the the tune for the ZHP offers 11 additional HP and costs $346...
It seems there's a Eurocharged 'dealer' (offers Eurocharged products) in Durham, NC . If i got there I don't need to remove the ECU, right?
Can it use my existing Dinan air box ? ( I do have the OEM air box if needed...)

PM'd eurocharged with questions...will see what they say...

UdubBadger
04-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Washburn I'm out of town right now at a wedding so I'll hit you back tomorrow night likely.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Washburn
04-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Cool - Thanks!