PDA

View Full Version : Is it Possible? Can Oil Temp Sensors BE SAVED!!??!!?

jorbon
04-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Meant to have a new oil temp sensor on hand when I did the next oil change, but I got distracted and started before I went to the dealer...

It had been showing the symptoms of a failing sensor; intermittent amber when level was higher than half way between the notches. Anyway, I went ahead and finished the oil change and didn't get the sensor in.

Well, I might suggest anyone who's thinking they have to replace the sensor hold for one oil change to see if the fresh oil fixes the situation- it seems to stopped throwing bad signals for me anyway. Crazy, right?

Car has 55,000 miles. Oil had 5,000 miles on it.

danewilson77
04-15-2013, 03:28 AM
You are surely talking about the oil level sensor, correct? The one that goes in the oil pan?

niart906
04-15-2013, 05:56 AM
Mine has been acting up for a few weeks now. Some days it works, but most of the time it doesn't. Like this morning on my way to class, it worked fine, but I bet when I get in the car this afternoon to go home it won't work. Seems to be a somewhat common problem on E46's. Although I wouldn't expect yours to stay working.

My car did that when I bought it last year, I even bought a new sensor. But then it miraculously started working again so I sold the sensor.

terraphantm
04-15-2013, 02:56 PM
You are surely talking about the oil level sensor, correct? The one that goes in the oil pan?

The oil level sensor is an oil temperature sensor.

danewilson77
04-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Mmm... . I thought the oil temp sensor was in the oil filter Housing, or is that oil pressure?

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA

Stu
04-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Mmm... . I thought the oil temp sensor was in the oil filter Housing, or is that oil pressure?

That's the oil pressure sensor. The oil level sensor is in the bottom of the oil pan, and also works also as a temperature sensor. It is thermally controlled - it determines the oil level based upon how long it takes for the oil to cool down a heated element in the sensor. Apparently its rate of cooling is proportional to the amount of oil in the pan.

Engineers, man. I envy their ability to figure this stuff out. :blink

Also a fun factoid, I've read stories from people on forums that if you drive in deep snow or kick up a lot of snow for a while and it happens to get onto the oil pan area by the sensor, it is possible to trick the oil level sensor into thinking you're low on oil.

danewilson77
04-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Well... Those Engineers sucked because that sensor is a piece of shit :shifty.

Stu
04-15-2013, 07:13 PM

Agreed

jorbon
04-15-2013, 07:51 PM

Ha- I like that.

Yeah, I know she may go bad on me again, but I waxed her yesterday to show my appreciation for trying to be good. A fickle relationship for sure...

alexandre
04-15-2013, 08:25 PM
That's the oil pressure sensor. The oil level sensor is in the bottom of the oil pan, and also works also as a temperature sensor. It is thermally controlled - it determines the oil level based upon how long it takes for the oil to cool down a heated element in the sensor. Apparently its rate of cooling is proportional to the amount of oil in the pan.

Engineers, man. I envy their ability to figure this stuff out. :blink

Also a fun factoid, I've read stories from people on forums that if you drive in deep snow or kick up a lot of snow for a while and it happens to get onto the oil pan area by the sensor, it is possible to trick the oil level sensor into thinking you're low on oil.

My (brand new) sensor has been acting up since october with normal oil levels. Temperatures varied between 50F and -20F (yes that is a minus) in those 7 months. I had noticed it had somewhat of a correlation with ambiant temperature and "sitting time". I'm glad to finally have an explanation for this weird phenomenon!!!

jorbon
04-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Still fault free... Strange, I know. But I'd still say do the first oil change without replacing the sensor as you might have the same luck.