PDA

View Full Version : Bulb Error

deuce08s
04-17-2013, 11:27 AM
So, I have been searching online for my issue and can't seem to find it, so I'll ask.

A couple of months ago I installed Amber LEDs from LED Automotive on all of my turn signal bulbs. Everything has been pretty good, no errors, etc. Well, about three weeks ago my bulb-out warning light on the dash came on, but it wasn't any of the brake lights nor the turn signal bulb. Usually, I with the dash light on I can activate the turn signal and it goes away after a couple of seconds of blinking fast.....so I figure its the turn signal bulb..........right? BUT.....!

I was just walking up to the back of the car after lunch today and when I unlocked the car not only did all of the turn signal LEDs light up but the parking light bulb in the lower left of the housing also flashed with the turn signal bulb.

Does anyone know anything about this? The bulb lit up, so it can't be the bulb.....does it still point to the LED bulb? I was going to take it apart this weekend and see if it needs some dielectric grease, but I also am waiting to install my RCR LED taillights I bought from Khoalty. So I'm kinda not that enthused about looking into it when I have the new lights to install.

Thanks for your input!

Johnmadd
04-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Have you had the tail light ground recall done yet?

brettbimmer
04-17-2013, 06:05 PM

X2.

Newjack
04-17-2013, 06:32 PM

That might be it, you might need a resistor for the turn signals. LEDs take very little power and even though they are working normally the car might think that the bulb is out because of the lower voltage needed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

deuce08s
04-18-2013, 10:36 AM
I haven't called the dealer yet to see if my car has had the recall done. I need to do that first. What seems weird is that when I'm going to get the dash light to come on when I unlock the car the lower right parking light on the rear tail flashes after my turn signal (or with it) when I unlock the car. So, perhaps some of power is getting diverted to that bulb because of the ground failing or whatever the recall addresses?

My car is well out of warranty. if the recall wasn't done would they still honor it? OR, because I have new Depo LED tails yet to install, should I just install those and be done with it?

deuce08s
04-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Just called the dealer. They said that it doesn't look like the recall has been done, but then there also isn't an active recall out for that either. So, she is thinking my car didn't fall under the recall based on the month it was made or whatever. She wasn't very helpful......just said that they would have to contact BMW to see if they would cover it. BS.

deuce08s
04-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Ok, just called our other dealer in town and he said the recall was performed in June '12. So, I'll have to check into more.

danewilson77
04-18-2013, 01:32 PM
So, I have been searching online for my issue and can't seem to find it, so I'll ask.

A couple of months ago I installed Amber LEDs from LED Automotive on all of my turn signal bulbs. Everything has been pretty good, no errors, etc. Well, about three weeks ago my bulb-out warning light on the dash came on, but it wasn't any of the brake lights nor the turn signal bulb. Usually, I with the dash light on I can activate the turn signal and it goes away after a couple of seconds of blinking fast.....so I figure its the turn signal bulb..........right? BUT.....!

I was just walking up to the back of the car after lunch today and when I unlocked the car not only did all of the turn signal LEDs light up but the parking light bulb in the lower left of the housing also flashed with the turn signal bulb.

Does anyone know anything about this? The bulb lit up, so it can't be the bulb.....does it still point to the LED bulb? I was going to take it apart this weekend and see if it needs some dielectric grease, but I also am waiting to install my RCR LED taillights I bought from Khoalty. So I'm kinda not that enthused about looking into it when I have the new lights to install.

Thanks for your input!

How about go back to regular bulbs and see if that clears it?

deuce08s
04-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Yeah, the original bulbs cleared it. Once I took out the LEDs I noticed that there is only one locking tab on the base of the bulb. I took the other LED out on the passenger side and the same thing...one tab. Now, neither bulb stays locked in the housing. I emailed LED Automotive and the guy told me there should only be one tab on the bulb, and that there is now something broken in my taillight assembly. Any other 1156 bulb I look at has two tabs to lock it in place. On top of that, I brought both bulbs to work and hooked them up to a DC power supply and not all of the LEDs light up, and some don't light up to full power (when applying 12VDC). So, I'll see what they have to say, but it looks like the tab fell off on both of the bulbs.

wsmeyer
04-19-2013, 08:06 AM
^^

This is what happens with all these cheap-xxx LED's flooding the market. Ask me how I know.

danewilson77
04-19-2013, 08:22 AM
^^

This is what happens with all these cheap-xxx LED's flooding the market. Ask me how I know.

You had same issue/indications?

wsmeyer
04-19-2013, 08:30 AM

I was messing around with putting a few in the wife's X5.

Only difference is that my problems were instantaneous so I knew exactly what the prob was.

deuce08s
05-22-2013, 07:45 AM
yeah, that's what my bulbs do. But don't ask for a refund from LEDautomotive. I think a big problem with theirs is that they cut one of the pins off on the base of the bulb. When you install it the bulb sits at an angle, but when you tilt it as it would sit with both pins there the bulb works. LED thinks that that isn't an issue though.