PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect Exterior Temperature- A/C Not Working

edlvrt
04-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Good evening all

Recently my ZHP started giving low exterior air temps. It would be 50F outside, and the car would randomly show 32, 36, 45F, etc. Sometimes it would show the correct temp, but the temperature would fluctuate with no pattern that I could follow. No big deal, but now that it is getting hot outside and I am using the AC, the low temperature readings are greatly reducing the cold air the AC puts out. I bought a new temperature probe from the dealership, but that hasn't corrected the readout. Today while driving, at first it was giving the correct temp (~75*), then the AC all but stopped. I looked down, and the dash was showing 53* and increasing. It got back up to the 70s before dropping back down to ~50*.

Any ideas on what I should do next? Return the probe and try another? The connector and the wire that the probe plugs into all looked to be in great condition. No breaks, no exposed wires, etc...

Thanks

LivesNearCostco
04-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Interwebz wisdom says the wires to the temp sensor are corroded. Not sure if that's actually the case with you car, but it seems to be the most common cause of this. Higher resistance at or on the way to the probe translates to lower outside temp reading.

Avetiso
04-19-2013, 09:16 PM
I'd swap the wires, too.

edlvrt
04-20-2013, 05:09 PM
I'll double check. Thanks