PDA

View Full Version : reattaching threshold trim piece

KevinC
04-23-2013, 06:55 PM
How the hell do I reattach this thing? It's the trim piece up above the door sill. You can see the square clips inside the carpet openings. At first I was trying to just pound the thing straight down onto the clips, but that doesn't appear to be right.. then I tried sliding the piece from the front, then the rear, over the clips, but couldn't get that to work either. It's driving me crazy. What's the correct technique?

http://www.kcphotodump.net/Cars/BMW-330Ci/i-nWWZ8T6/0/X2/Image-X2.jpg

Mtnman
04-24-2013, 03:20 AM
What does the underside of the trim look like? Im thinking the clips need to be removed from the frame and them put into the trim, then pushed back into place.

KevinC
04-24-2013, 07:15 PM
I don't think that's right. It looks to me like the thing has to slide over the clips, but from which direction? I've tried both ways and I can't get it to catch. Surely somebody has had had to wrestle one of these things into submission at some point? Help, Mr Wizard!

Mtnman
04-24-2013, 07:16 PM
You see that hole ion the front? That clip that is missing ? That's what makes me think it needs to go in trim first. But, do you have a pic of underside of trim?

KevinC
04-24-2013, 09:53 PM
Here's what the clips on the trim look like. I tried to pull one of the connector pieces out of the car's chassis and it ain't moving for squat. It's pretty clear that the way it needs to install is to make sure all the connectors are exactly level, then slide the thing over them. I just tried several times, including trying to tap the thing along with screwdriver handle, and just couldn't get the thing to move. Frustrating as hell. I have zero patience for this kind of crap, which clearly isn't helping...

http://www.kcphotodump.net/Cars/BMW-330Ci/i-v8b5PN7/0/X2/IMG_4309-X2.jpg

cityjohn
04-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Mtnman is right; clips insert into trim first, then entire strip is pressed down into holes. Start by pulling the clips out of the holes. If they break just buy new ones, part no. 51-47-8-234-047

danewilson77
04-25-2013, 01:58 AM
Mtnman is right; clips insert into trim first, then entire strip is pressed down into holes. Start by pulling the clips out of the holes. If they break just buy new ones, part no. 51-47-8-234-047

+1

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

KevinC
04-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Thanks guys.. any tips on how to get the clips out of the car? I tried and pulled like a mofo and they didn't want to come up at ALL.

BavarianZHP
04-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Are you using any tools? Needle nose pliers may be worth a shot.

KevinC
04-29-2013, 08:28 PM
I finally got this mutha back in place. Had to pry the clips out of the body of the car, already had one or two missing, and busted one in the process. Then inserted placed strategically onto trim, then slammed back into place. Problem solved. Those clips are a PITA, they REALLY get jammed into the car's body, and don't want to come out.

danewilson77
04-30-2013, 03:17 AM
I finally got this mutha back in place. Had to pry the clips out of the body of the car, already had one or two missing, and busted one in the process. Then inserted placed strategically onto trim, then slammed back into place. Problem solved. Those clips are a PITA, they REALLY get jammed into the car's body, and don't want to come out.

Post #2 (David) nailed it.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA