PDA

View Full Version : Comments from Passengers?

Rovert
04-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Last night hammered it hard on my curvies at the bottom of the hill where I live. When there aren't many cars around it's my autoX course of 4 technical corners where I need to balance throttle and trail braking to get the most out of the ultimate driving machine. :headbang

A new passenger was with me and when I was done with my "because racecar" maneuvers, he asked me with his eyes wide open, "When can I buy tickets for another lap?"

:rockon

What are your passenger's reactions or verbal expressions towards the fun you've had in your car?

Avetiso
04-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Going 80 on a 70 freeway. "Dario, slow down, you are going to kill us!" -Mom

yura
04-28-2013, 03:37 PM
A few friends have said things along the lines of "if I tried that in my car, I'd be splattered on that tree over there."

90 degree right-hander at 50kph? Sure, why not?! :santa1

nike001
04-28-2013, 03:46 PM
I usually just get compliments on how smooth my driving is (corners, braking, accelerating, gear shifts etc)

I usually don't push it too much when I have passengers..

yura
04-28-2013, 03:49 PM
I usually just get compliments on how smooth my driving is (corners, braking, accelerating, gear shifts etc)

I was once coming back from a track day with a buddy, towing both of our bikes on a trailer in the back. He asked if my car automatically rev matched on downshifts. One of the few good habits from riding a bike.

Rovert
04-28-2013, 04:03 PM

I usually don't push it too much when I have passengers..

Smooth is fastest around the track! The newbs of AutoX feel the most noise is the fastest way around until they find themselves facing backwards many of times. LOL. Getting a good idea of how your vehicle weight transfers in every vehicle input situation is an invaluable technique for the safe operation of a vehicle.

I had two adults extra in my car when I did that "hot lap" and I did feel a different handling dynamic for sure! I had to keep throttle input nice and gingerly as I could feel a very minor sideways play in the rear compared to being alone... I love how the BMW chassis transmit what it feels right back into the driver. The perfect synergy of safe fun, excitement, a sense of being fully alive and aware.

M0nk3y
04-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Wanted to show my passenger how my new brakes are by going on a 55 road just less than 100 feet slamming on the brakes.

I think I scared him a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
04-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Going 80 on a 70 freeway. "Dario, slow down, you are going to kill us!" -Mom

lol

Mine says "why the hell is your car so low I feel like I'm going to scrape my butt on the asphalt"

terraphantm
04-28-2013, 06:32 PM
One time I was asked why I bought the M3 when it was almost exactly the same thing as the ZHP. I said "let me show you" and proceeded to do a hard launch and rev through 1st, 2nd, and most of 3rd... she told me she understood then after getting her breath back ;)

Beyond that... I've been told by a number of people that they feel safer riding with me than others despite my average cruising speeds generally being a lot higher than most

derbo
04-28-2013, 06:46 PM
I think the best one from any passenger I've taken is..

"This is exactly how the zhp should've been from the factory."

-M3 owner

Vas
04-28-2013, 06:48 PM
So this thread is for race car drivers ?

johnrando
04-28-2013, 06:50 PM
LOL Vas. Yeah, I usually keep it pretty tame with passengers... save the fun stuff for myself, just in case something goes south.

BRGcoopahS
04-28-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm the same way. I usually drive pretty tame with people in the car. By myself Ill go a little crazy if I want to.

Rovert
04-28-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm going south next month!!! With my car!! San Fran here I come!

yura
04-28-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm going south next month!!! With my car!! San Fran here I come!

Which way are you headed? I5? 101? Interior?

I rode down to San Fran two times on the bike and can point out fun roads if that's what you're after :)

KevinC
04-28-2013, 07:09 PM
I found my car last year in Miami. No problem, my best pal lives nearby in Broward, and is a former mechanic and total gear head, and a 757 captain by trade. I had him go check out the car, turns out another 757 captain owned it - figure the odds. Anyways among the 25 or so pics he sends, his one comment on his test drive that stands out in my memory is "boy that f&cker can bend a curve!". Indeed.

Rovert
04-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Which way are you headed? I5? 101? Interior?

I rode down to San Fran two times on the bike and can point out fun roads if that's what you're after :)

I'll be using Highway 1. There's a whole group of us going to San Fran on a 7 day road trip. You free to join?? :D

yura
04-28-2013, 09:07 PM
I'll be using Highway 1. There's a whole group of us going to San Fran on a 7 day road trip. You free to join?? :D

Unfortunately can't join, but thanks anyways.

HWY 1 is a lot of fun. Make sure to take it all the way from Leggett, CA - that stretch to the coast is almost non-stop twisties, you'll have lots of fun.

derbo
04-28-2013, 09:09 PM
pashnit.com has a collection of california roads :)

Johal E32
04-28-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm a pretty tame driver. However, sometimes I like to take corners pretty quickly..

One time I was getting off the freeway and I was doing 45 getting ready to take the off ramp (I sharp circle) that had signs saying 25 and I could see that my (at the time) girlfriend got really nervous as I started to brake then fly the corner at 35-37 mph.

She was grabbing the side of the door, and started to take a deep breath. I just laughed and said "what's wrong"? She responded with "nothing.." then rolled the window down, I just continued laughing.

Most people have no clue my car is a stick, and say I can shift it pretty smoothly :)

Johal E32
04-28-2013, 09:29 PM
LOL Vas. Yeah, I usually keep it pretty tame with passengers... save the fun stuff for myself, just in case something goes south.

This.

I told this to one my old gf as well. I said I am a safe driver with people. But I drive fast and do some stupid things when no one is in the car. I don't want anyone else to get hurt because I was goofing around..

Rovert
04-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Unfortunately can't join, but thanks anyways.

HWY 1 is a lot of fun. Make sure to take it all the way from Leggett, CA - that stretch to the coast is almost non-stop twisties, you'll have lots of fun.

I did it before using a Dinan Supercharged E36 M3. My passenger was like...."HOT DAMN!!". Half way through I was thinking, "My brains are being scrambled...are we there yet???" It was a joy to drive that car through one of the twistiest piece of highway ever!

Pip
04-28-2013, 10:26 PM
Let the NorCal team know when you're passing through. I will try to make myself available but closing on a house around that time and moving so not sure.

az3579
04-29-2013, 01:24 AM
The best comment I ever had consisted of no words, just a big stupid grin. :biggrin

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

JupiterBMW
04-29-2013, 02:08 AM
I don't typically have passengers in my car (aside from my wife/daughter) but I more enjoy the comments from people when outside the car... The guy at the tint shop was amazed at the car, another guy at Home Depot made a comment on how good the car looked, and a LOT of the people at my local dealer all give me comments on the car. They all seem to really like her. That makes me feel good.

brettbimmer
04-29-2013, 03:39 AM

But...but...isn't that why your daughter loves riding in your zhp?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

wertyu78
04-29-2013, 03:53 AM
"Wow, that thing dances elegantly through corners" - STI Owner

midlandtech
04-29-2013, 04:29 AM
I don't typically have passengers in my car (aside from my wife/daughter) but I more enjoy the comments from people when outside the car... The guy at the tint shop was amazed at the car, another guy at Home Depot made a comment on how good the car looked, and a LOT of the people at my local dealer all give me comments on the car. They all seem to really like her. That makes me feel good.

I get the same... My favorite being when I was approached by a guy at a gas station that asked if the dealer "kept many of those in stock" implying it was a new model and he wanted to go test drive one.

Rovert
04-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Another priceless comment:

WooooooooooooooOOooOOoooooooooo...goes cross eyed....WooooooooooooooooooooOoooOoOooooO!!!!!!! Then laughter.

static667
04-29-2013, 12:24 PM
I don't push too hard when I have passengers. I try to keep it within my limits. Although, I have had some good comments. One was: "Oh my God! That was awesome! Can you let me out for a cigarette?"

Sent from my yet to be hacked GS3.

Stigissimo
04-29-2013, 01:00 PM
I make it my own little game to be as smooth as possible with passengers in the car. I'm still getting a feel for the car but it's coming along real well. But, when I was driving my good friend back to school, we hit this twisty, seldom traveled back road that's got a great rhythm to its corners. So needless to say I stretched my car's legs a little.

"HOLY SHIT."- Passenger

johnrando
04-30-2013, 07:42 PM
But...but...isn't that why your daughter loves riding in your zhp?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Good memory Brett! :) I'll goose it once it awhile for passengers (or them) but that's relatively mild straight line stuff. I really drive safe and steady with passengers. I save the hard stuff for me... I'm normally lead-footed/on the aggressive side anyway, and once in a blue moon I'll try something that scares me, but not with others in the car. :shifty

az3579
05-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Good memory Brett! :) I'll goose it once it awhile for passengers (or them) but that's relatively mild straight line stuff. I really drive safe and steady with passengers. I save the hard stuff for me... I'm normally lead-footed/on the aggressive side anyway, and once in a blue moon I'll try something that scares me, but not with others in the car. :shifty

And you haven't installed a rollbar and went to the track yet, why? :shifty
You would feel soooo right at home there!

Dhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu eeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttt

E_Rak
05-01-2013, 06:27 PM
I mostly get the whole "your car is how old? It's really nice!" [/shamelessselfpromotion]

Otherwise I hear my mom/girlfriend telling me to slow down and once a friend who couldn't handle the twisties... I responded with a big FU and kept on going! :mwah

BavarianZHP
05-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Carrying a bunch of passengers and their airport luggage up a hill... Embarrassing Stall... Passenger: "First time driving a stick?" LOLOLOL. :mad

Rovert
05-01-2013, 06:43 PM
My passenger did that when I was driving an E46 M3....got used to starting off with sport mode button on. He turned it off without me knowing and I didn't give it enough throttle so I stalled a quarter the way through the intersection. He just, "HAHAHHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAH."

BavarianZHP
05-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Yeah, it was hilly and I barely ever carry passengers. Didn't realize weight could have such an effect.

ICTZHP
05-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Did an SCCA autocross event this past weekend in the ZHP. I had passengers for three of my five runs and two of them (#3 was Mrs. ICTZHP) commented on how smooth and composed the car was through the run. I would like to take some credit for my driving, but I think the car deserves the lion's share of the credit though...

Johal E32
05-08-2013, 08:22 PM
My left leg was hurting, and I was about to do a hill start (I knew it would be shitty because of my leg..). And my Uncle chuckled as we took off because the car rolled back a foot, the flywheel chattered, and I jerked the car as we took off :(
He said to keep driving to gain experience with a stick. In my head I was thinking I am pretty damn good with hill starts, and normally I'm pretty smooth but my lef legt was killing me :rofl

He also I said I shift too fast, and I should shift slower to make the car have really smooth gear changes. I took his advice, and wow, even with my left leg hurting my shifts went back too being really good again!

Rovert
05-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Hhahah nice one. I shift slow 99% of the time (meaning clutch lets out when revs fall and match the next gear) unless I need to steal my car from the imaginary stealership. ;)

This weekend I went on a mountain drive and hit a hairpin chicane perfectly and when we straighten out my passenger said, "I feel the sudden urge to throw up...that's gross and cool at the same time." I know I've hit corners where after I come out of it I get the dizzy feeling but that's when I'm hitting 1G+ for 5 seconds or more...this was a hard 15MPH corner for 2-3 seconds. LOL

Stigissimo
05-09-2013, 07:53 AM
This one made me laugh really hard - It was a hot day I was taking my friend for a ride and he opened the trunk to put both of our longboards in and said "Jesus.. did the previous owner melt crayons in the trunk or something?!" Ahhh...that crayon smell. I love it.

fredo
05-09-2013, 08:00 AM
I had my 1999 e46 for 5 years. I noticed the smell in the trunk but never thought about crayons until now.

Stigissimo
05-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Tt's so true though! I have to admit I kind of like it. It gives the car character.

Alex
05-09-2013, 12:57 PM
"Why do I have to open the door twice?"

and "This is from 2004?!"

E_Rak
05-09-2013, 01:51 PM
^^ Absolutely, had a car full of people going to the movies the other day. We parked, I got out, everyone else was stuck inside looking very confused!

danewilson77
05-09-2013, 01:55 PM

^^ Absolutely, had a car full of people going to the movies the other day. We parked, I got out, everyone else was stuck inside looking very confused!

You guys need to have that coded off....unless that's your "ice breaker".

Rovert
05-09-2013, 03:43 PM
I like double flick to open. It's just like double clicking to load in Windows! :D

ejp2fast
05-13-2013, 07:58 AM
In the 3 months of owning the car- I have had 3 separate people tell me that it is the quietest car they have ever been in.. maybe i need to shift at 4-5k instead of 3?? :)

Stigissimo
05-14-2013, 12:27 PM
In the 3 months of owning the car- I have had 3 separate people tell me that it is the quietest car they have ever been in.. maybe i need to shift at 4-5k instead of 3?? :)

That's funny you mention that - I literally just had somebody tell me it was very quiet. Little did he know I hadn't opened the taps yet ;)

ryankokesh
05-14-2013, 12:38 PM

This.

terraphantm
05-17-2013, 07:35 AM
You guys need to have that coded off....unless that's your "ice breaker".

I don't think you can code that off. The mechanism feels mechanical

onepercent
05-17-2013, 08:02 AM
The best comment I've ever received came from my wife. It was raining and I intentionally threw the tail out* during a sharp right-hander. With deadpan delivery, she says

"um, we're drifting."

This was hilarious because at the time I would not have even thought that she knew what "drifting" is. I still crack up just thinking about it.

* safety patrol: the road was really wide, no cars in sight, and there was a median that would keep me from going into another lane if something did go awry

Rovert
05-17-2013, 08:03 AM
LOL...we're drifting honey......classic! hahahaha

onepercent
05-17-2013, 08:04 AM

Both of these. With regard to the doors, usually they are standing there looking helpless outside the car and I'm all, "Pull Up."

And yeah, no one can believe that my car is almost 10 years old.

az3579
05-17-2013, 09:43 AM
And yeah, no one can believe that my car is almost 10 years old.

Along the same lines, nobody can believe the MILEAGE on this car!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

midlandtech
05-17-2013, 09:58 AM
I don't think you can code that off. The mechanism feels mechanical

You can... I had mine coded for it a actually.

terraphantm
05-17-2013, 12:42 PM
You can... I had mine coded for it a actually.

So pulling the handle unlocks the door and opens it in a single step?

Crestwood1001
05-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Almost positive it's mechanical, sounds like you had it coded so it did not auto lock over a certain speed, therefor only one pull is necessary to open

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

wsmeyer
05-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Almost positive it's mechanical, sounds like you had it coded so it did not auto lock over a certain speed, therefor only one pull is necessary to open

It's definitely mechanical.

If you get in the car and push the console button you'll hear the doors physically lock and we can call that...

Option 1 -> locked and double pull active.

If you then push the lock button on the remote, you'll hear the doors physically change to...

Option 2 -> locked and double pull disabled.

What he's describing would be...

Option 3 -> locked and single pull unlock

While I certainly believe it's possible I've never seen anything like it in the coding.

terraphantm
05-17-2013, 05:23 PM
I can't find anything that suggests that kind of functionality in the GM5.

nike001
05-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Guys guys guys...

The guy was talking about how his car locks at a certain speed.. and then when they go to get out, the car is still locked from the car doing it. THEN you have to pull twice. The car doing that can be coded off..

terraphantm
05-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Guys guys guys...

The guy was talking about how his car locks at a certain speed.. and then when they go to get out, the car is still locked from the car doing it. THEN you have to pull twice. The car doing that can be coded off..

Oh. Well that's easy enough, but even before I coded the auto lock, I had a habit of locking my doors whenever I drive. Most of my passengers get confused when they pull once and then can't pull up that nub to unlock the door

wsmeyer
05-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Guys guys guys...

That's what I figured but wasn't sure if there was a secret option 3 (see above) or maybe coding to automatically unlock the doors when you turn off the ignition. That would also solve the problem and would actually be my preference.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-18-2013, 12:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1bNVkS181U

nike001
05-19-2013, 05:19 PM
That's what I figured but wasn't sure if there was a secret option 3 (see above) or maybe coding to automatically unlock the doors when you turn off the ignition. That would also solve the problem and would actually be my preference.

I've noticed that a lot of GM vehicles do this. Lock when the car is put in drive.. or driven over x mph (I forget), then when the car is put in park, the doors unlock. Nifty and isn't as annoying as having to pull the handle 2x to get out.

terraphantm
05-19-2013, 07:02 PM
^ can be coded on e90s as well. Not available on the e46

Johal E32
05-19-2013, 07:49 PM
This slammed E28 with a dude driving, and it had 3 chicks in it pulled up next to me. They all started giving me a thumbs up and mouthing out "nice car", my Dad was riding with me in the wagon and he said "I think they like your car". :rofl

Avetiso
05-19-2013, 07:53 PM
This slammed E28 with a dude driving, and it had 3 chicks in it pulled up next to me. They all started giving me a thumbs up and mouthing out "nice car", my Dad was riding with me in the wagon and he said "I think they like your car". :rofl

:rofl Had something like this recently. Except in this case, my dad was driving his diesel Excursion and some chicks in a Silverado pulled up next to us.

cakM3
05-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Over the weekend, there were several comments made by Devlin, JRando, and Dane.... some I found amusing reminiscent of the video where a younger gent took his dad for a ride in his boosted ///M. I would say all enjoyed the ride/drive :thumbsup

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

cakM3
05-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Over the weekend, there were several comments made by Devlin, JRando, and Dane.... some I found amusing reminiscent of the video where a younger gent took his dad for a ride in his boosted ///M. I would say all enjoyed the ride/drive :thumbsup

I'll let them add their comments from the ride... ;)

Forgive me for the repost.... Tired from recent events...