PDA

View Full Version : Suspension, Front Clunks

Enemy
05-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Some of you are familiar with my current issue from my intro thread (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?9762-New-again-)).

Complaint: I am having a certain clunk/clanking sound from the front suspension. Most audible while driving around 15-25mph over certain bumps. It does not occur exclusively while turning, it does not occur over every bump, especially at higher speed or hard bumps. It is mostly during slower speeds and over the smaller bumps and changes in road surfaces.

Some of you here think I need to look at FCABs and FSMs. I raised the car up from the front, one side at a time, and grabbed the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock. I pushed and pulled in and out, and there is some play and some noise. Not the same noise, but I can imagine that with the weight of the car and at speed, it can be the same sound I hear while driving.

I took my ZHP to the Firestone across the street from my job, because it's conveniently right there. They came back and told me it is the sway bar end links.

If I understand correctly though, if it were the endlinks, wouldn't I hear a pop when taking turns or cycling the steering wheel from side to side instead? Can the end links be noisy like I described while driving straight?

I am doubting Firestone right now.

danewilson77
05-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Ok... First off, my post in your intro thread had nothing to do with your clunk. You asked "what else should I do, while I'm in there?". That's what my advice was regarding.

I recommend you follow Bruce's advice in your intro thread, and then replace those attendant components.

EDIT: Ok. I've now read the above post fully. I do not think the end links would be noisy in straight driving conditions. CAB's? Yes. FSM'S? no.... Unless they are seriously shot (should be visible by looking in engine bay if they are that bad).

Why did your mechanic say endlinks?

I'm going to ask you what I always ask. Did you ask the mechanic to show you the issue? You guys that don't diy have to do this. If he did show you, what did you see?

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

Enemy
05-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Ok... First off, my post in your intro thread had nothing to do with your clunk. You asked "what else should I do, while I'm in there?". That's what my advice was regarding.

I recommend you follow Bruce's advice in your intro thread, and then replace those attendant components.

EDIT: Ok. I've now read the above post fully. I do not think the end links would be noisy in straight driving conditions. CAB's? Yes. FSM'S? no.... Unless they are seriously shot (should be visible by looking in engine bay if they are that bad).

Why did your mechanic say endlinks?

They said it's the only part they could tell had any play when they inspected the car. Everything else looked good, according to them.

I'm going to ask you what I always ask. Did you ask the mechanic to show you the issue? You guys that don't diy have to do this. If he did show you, what did you see?

No. I dropped the car off during lunch, came back to work. They told me that by phone,

Enemy
05-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Screw it. I'm going to pull the trigger on CABs. Might as well.

Enemy
05-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Genuine BMW. Ordered. $155.

I have a feeling noises won't end until I've gone thru most of the suspension :p

danewilson77
05-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Most likely. It seems that with these suspensions, degradation of ride/noise, is due to many small issues not just one big one.

kayger12
05-09-2013, 01:55 PM
I concur with endlinks.

Had a similar experience with a different vehicle and it was the endlinks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Enemy
05-09-2013, 04:50 PM
I concur with endlinks.

Had a similar experience with a different vehicle and it was the endlinks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That will probably be next week's project once the CABs fail to resolve the issue :(

Sent from the intergalactic planetary, planetary intergalactic.

echo46
05-09-2013, 06:11 PM
End links, I had similar symptoms and new Lemforders took care of the problem.

Enemy
05-09-2013, 06:42 PM
This is interesting if it turns out to be the end links.

Enemy
05-16-2013, 06:32 PM
I just did the CABs. Old ones don't look bad. Replaced anyway.

This was pretty easy and straight forward. Only issue I'm having is passenger side won't sit flush when I bolt it back on. The indentation on the CAB bracket for the bolts doesn't fall into place. So I need to keep trying to make it flush before I put everything back together and drop the car.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Enemy
05-16-2013, 06:37 PM

danewilson77
05-16-2013, 06:43 PM
What CAB's did you buy?

Enemy
05-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Genuine BMW

danewilson77
05-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Genuine BMW

Ok. Why do you think it won't mate? Manufacturing issue with CAB?

Enemy
05-16-2013, 07:02 PM
I don't know. I think I need to push the CAB further into arm maybe.... Slightly.

danewilson77
05-16-2013, 07:03 PM
I don't know. I think I need to push the CAB further into arm maybe.... Slightly.

Ok. TIS actually has measurements for this.

Torxuvin
05-16-2013, 07:03 PM

Whatever you do, don't torque it down with a power tool. Ask me how I know... :facepalm

Enemy
05-16-2013, 07:06 PM
I used manual torque wrench, click type, to 44ftlbs. Except the one bolt because the lollipop won't sit right.

UdubBadger
05-17-2013, 06:12 AM
hmmmm, might need to have my endlinks looked at now, I get the same issue.

wertyu78
05-17-2013, 06:25 AM
I had a similar issue that almost went away with new lemforder end-links. I used powerflex FCAB's many months back and that made a world of difference.

Enemy
05-17-2013, 09:54 AM
The end links I bought are Lemforder. I'm sitting here at work itching to run back home and finish the darn CABs and install the new end links as well. Take car in for an alignment in the morning and clean this car up real nice so I can meet the Mafiosos at Dane's this weekend.

Enemy
05-17-2013, 07:20 PM
I finished properly installing the CABs and the end links. Only issues is I ripped a bit of the rubber on pass side :( so I'll need to do it again. At least should be better ride now until all the grease dries up in that one. I'll order another tonight. Will still get it aligned tomorrow just to see.

What's the proper tool to hold the back side of end links? 16mm open end wrench? I don't have one and used vice grips :(

Enemy
05-18-2013, 08:12 AM
By the way....

Enemy
05-18-2013, 08:18 AM
Car is now in for alignment. No noise issues on the way to shop. :)

NorCalZman
05-18-2013, 11:35 AM
So it was the end links. I will have to inspect mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

echo46
05-18-2013, 01:53 PM
My thought was always end links.

Enemy
05-18-2013, 02:01 PM
I would say it was the end links, even though the CABs were also replaced. End links were destroyed. CABs didn't look bad at all.

echo46
05-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Yea, those end links looked just like mine when I replaced them due to clunking issues.

cornercarver
06-26-2017, 05:20 PM
There are a million "clunk noise" threads out there, so I guess this is as good as any for my question;

My '04 was experiencing a clunk which I was hoping would disappear after I did the front struts, upper strut mounts and sway bar end links, but there's still a light clunk. It's only audible at low speeds over small bumps and slow elevation changes, like entering a driveway. Steering is tight and there's no evidence of alignment issues while driving. I actually just did a 4 wheel alignment a few weeks ago and they didn't note any issues.

What else should I be looking for? Would worn sway bar mounts contribute to this type of noise? Brake calipers? FCAB's?

johnrando
06-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Not sure, but fcabs def can clunk when bad. Does ur front wheel jiggle if you push or pull on it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cornercarver
06-27-2017, 02:30 AM
No - tried grabbing the top of both wheels and pushing in/out pretty hard - no movement.

ELCID86
07-02-2017, 05:12 PM
There are a million "clunk noise" threads out there, so I guess this is as good as any for my question;

My '04 was experiencing a clunk which I was hoping would disappear after I did the front struts, upper strut mounts and sway bar end links, but there's still a light clunk. It's only audible at low speeds over small bumps and slow elevation changes, like entering a driveway. Steering is tight and there's no evidence of alignment issues while driving. I actually just did a 4 wheel alignment a few weeks ago and they didn't note any issues.

What else should I be looking for? Would worn sway bar mounts contribute to this type of noise? Brake calipers? FCAB's?

Mine was a lose nut on a front end link.

Oli77
07-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Money is on the fcabs.

cornercarver
07-13-2017, 04:49 AM
Mine was a lose nut on a front end link.
Just replaced both end links, struts & upper strut mounts. Everything was torqued down.

Money is on the fcabs.
Will have to get my local shop to check them. I've tugged everything on the suspension pretty hard and saw no movement.