PDA

View Full Version : new member, eh

essel
05-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Hello from Canada! I've lurked the forums for a while now and finally decided to become a member.

I do not have a ZHP yet, but I am actively looking for a clean coupe! As they are very hard to find in Canada, I'm planning on driving across the border and picking one up, preferably along the western area of the States (Seattle/LA/etc).

Currently I'm driving a 1990 240sx. Fun car but it's time for an upgrade to a ZHP, been dreaming of owning one a a lonnng time now!

The ZHP will be my first BMW, but I am looking forward to learning all about the DIYs and such.

Hopefully I'll be able to join y'all as fellow ZHP owners soon!

Alfred

alexandre
05-11-2013, 11:19 PM
:hi

Nice to see some more canadians joining the boards. Good call on the US import - selection is a million times better, and prices too.

Shoot me a PM if you need help figuring out the paperwork, it's super simple. I brought back my ZHP a year ago from PA.

Good luck with your search!

BavarianZHP
05-12-2013, 12:39 AM
Welcome to the family... Actually without a ZHP we'll consider you as a nephew for now. JK! I hope you the best in your search (which is a great phase in itself). I currently reside in Seattle, so feel free to PM me if one shows up. I'll be glad to take a look for you.

essel
05-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Thanks guys! I've been doing some reading on the import stuff and it doesn't sound too bad at all! Plus even with the taxes/fees it'll still be cheaper than buying a zhp locally.

And that would be great BavarianZHP! That would save me from wasting a trip over bad deals.

alexandre
05-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Thanks guys! I've been doing some reading on the import stuff and it doesn't sound too bad at all! Plus even with the taxes/fees it'll still be cheaper than buying a zhp locally.

And that would be great BavarianZHP! That would save me from wasting a trip over bad deals.

Definitely cheaper. You're looking at the following:

- Temporary plates in whatever state you're buying in $0-50
- Import duty 6.5 % on sales contract value
- GST 5% on import value (sales contract amount + duty)
- RIV fee $195 + tax
- A/C excise tax $100 + tax
- Canadian Tire inspection $0
- Provincial inspection: the QC one is $98, about an hour of labor - should be similar for yours

And from there it's officially a Canadian car - the rest of fees will be the same as if you had bought it in BC. In QC we pay the PST when plating the car on sales contract value.

So the only big difference is the duty and GST - so you're looking at paying ~12% over whatever price you negotiate for the car. It seems like a lot, but it's usually worth the trouble, especially given the rarity of the car on this side of the border.

kayger12
05-12-2013, 03:39 AM
Welcome.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

echo46
05-12-2013, 04:53 AM
Welcome

danewilson77
05-12-2013, 04:54 AM
Welcome.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

Torxuvin
05-12-2013, 07:30 AM
Welcome and good luck with your search. :)

Don Adolfo
05-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Benvenutto a la famiglia Alfred. Happy hunting.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Welcome.

essel
05-13-2013, 12:49 AM
Thanks guys! Will update when I pick a zhp up :)

JupiterBMW
05-13-2013, 02:06 AM
Welcome to the group and looking forward to your ZHP acquisition. Definitely keep us posted and ask questions anytime! There are a lot of members with incredible knowledge here!

johnrando
05-13-2013, 07:33 AM
Welcome. GL w/search.

Avetiso
05-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Welcome.

fredo
05-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Welcome, Alfred ! You will like it here. We have two things in common:
(1) Similar name, mine is Alfredo.
(2) I don't have a ZHP either.

RITmusic2k
05-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Greetings and best of luck with the car search!!

jayjay_dee
05-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Welcome and good luck!!!

essel
05-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks fellas!
@JupiterBMW: will do!
@fredo: At least you have a 330i! That's closer to a ZHP than anything I have :P

yura
05-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Another Vancouverite!

There are actually a few local ZHPs for sale:

'04 coupe: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/ctd/3753732134.html - dealers have had this one for sale for ages; they want around $15k for it if I remember correctly

'04 coupe: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/cto/3729783771.html

'04 sedan: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nvn/cto/3790117256.html

For the first two, I'd get the VIN and confirm that they actually have the ZAM (Canadian ZHP) package (option code still 767), and not just the cosmetic M-Package.

The last one I've seen for sale (by the same guy) for about 1.5 years. He's posted it a few times, but not consistently. Looks like a very clean car, and I'm pretty sure he stores it in the winter; it it was a 6 speed I'd be all over it.

// edit - found the sedan's old ad (a year ago): http://www.usedvancouver.com/classified-ad/2004-BMW-330I-ZHP-Performance-Package_16854771. Photo of gauge cluster suggests it's a US import.

// edit 2 - sedan seller is actually a dealer (probably his private car): http://www.empirevehiclesolutions.com/detail.php?id=10891

Stewbie
05-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Welcome from a fellow Vancouverite. The HST may be gone but you'll still get dinged 12% sales tax when you register your car in BC.

essel
05-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Wow didn't think there'd be a few fellow Vancouverites here!

kerunt: Thanks for posting some local zhp's. I dislike silver and I'm specifically looking for a coupe so that rules out the silver coupe and the sedan (although that sedan does look very clean). That Mystic Blue coupe I've had my eye on for a while, not sure if the seller's on here but he wasn't willing to budge on the price last time I contacted him.

yura
05-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Wow didn't think there'd be a few fellow Vancouverites here!

kerunt: Thanks for posting some local zhp's. I dislike silver and I'm specifically looking for a coupe so that rules out the silver coupe and the sedan (although that sedan does look very clean). That Mystic Blue coupe I've had my eye on for a while, not sure if the seller's on here but he wasn't willing to budge on the price last time I contacted him.

The price for that coupe is actually not too bad. A tad on the high side, but not bad overall.

FYI, I sold my '05 Imola Red ZHP coupe a few months ago for $14.5k; it had ~152,000km, 6 speed, Alcantara interior, all service records, Bilstein PSS9, OEM M3 wheels, short shifter, AFE CAI, Rogue Engineering camber arms, Rogue Engineering sway bars, stainless steel brake lines, slotted rotors, DICE iPod integration, and more mods which I'm forgetting. That was the best price I could get for it, and I had it for sale for quite a while.

I'd say high ~$13,800 would be a fair price for that '04, given that it's slightly higher kms and auto.

Avetiso
05-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Welcome from a fellow Vancouverite. The HST may be gone but you'll still get dinged 12% sales tax when you register your car in BC.
And here I am, complaining about 8.75%.

essel
05-14-2013, 03:07 PM
kerunt: I would definitely be interested in working out a deal with the Mystic Blue coupe if it was a 6spd but yes, the relatively higher km's and auto tranny made it not worth pursuing at that price point.

Oli77
05-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Hello and good luck, hope you find it and like us all, become passionate about your "ultimate driving machine".

Dave_B
05-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Welcome to the Family

essel
05-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Thanks fellas! Can't wait to find my 'ultimate driving machine' :)

danewilson77
05-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Obtw, :rofl at title.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

orange260z
05-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Welcome to a fellow Canadian! Although, you're further away than many (most?) Americans!

I'd be really careful checking VINs if you are fixed on a ZHP. Most (actually, all) of the cars I've looked at in Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal that were advertised as being "ZHP" or "M Performance Package" were actually the M Sport Package.

To be clear, I believe the M Sport has EVERYTHING the M Performance has with the exception of the engine upgrades - i.e. it has all the suspension upgrades in addition to the cosmetic & interior. For me, the suspension was the key so I wasn't that hung up on finding one with the engine upgrades.

Good luck with your search!

yura
05-16-2013, 08:13 PM
To be clear, I believe the M Sport has EVERYTHING the M Performance has with the exception of the engine upgrades - i.e. it has all the suspension upgrades in addition to the cosmetic & interior.

I don't think that's quite right. My understanding is that the M-Sport package has only the cosmetic elements, and nothing under the hood, no suspension changes, etc. Just wheels, body kit, ///M emblems, etc.

essel
05-16-2013, 09:44 PM
^ That's what I thought as well.

And yeah orange260z, there was a local silver 330ci being advertised by the dealer as a ZHP, but it turns out it just had the M Sport package.

orange260z
05-17-2013, 03:08 AM
The ZHP has the S338A (I think that was the number) suspension components, and so does the M Sport. The regular sport suspension (ZSP) is something like S228. I don't have the references handy right now, but that was the general gist that I found when I pulled the VIN option codes and checked the parts catalogues. Also, just from driving, the M Sport felt much firmer and controlled when driven back to back with a standard sport package car (I drove a bunch of both).