PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt DISA and VANOS - now huge flat spot??

RedTRex
05-16-2013, 06:03 PM
I did the seals and rattle kit on the VANOS (Besian) as well as the very nice DISA rebuild kit (G.A.S). Followed the instructions to the T. Before rebuild I had what I thought was an occasional VANOS rattle between 1500 and 2000k rpm and a slight power dip around 4100-4200 rpm. 98,300 miles on car.

Now, I have the same low speed occasional rattle (maybe not VANOS) as well as a very large flat spot. If I am say 1/2 throttle it's not too bad as a I pass 4100 rpm. If I am WOT the car falls on its face at 4100 then comes "on cam" about 5400 rpm.

Is this pretty normal for the ZHP? Obviously way out of warranty so I won't be able to get a BMW DME reflash. Would the Shark reflash take of most of this issue?

Thanks
Rick

danewilson77
05-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Did you maybe tighten the new flapper on too tight and now the valve won't work properly?

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

LivesNearCostco
05-16-2013, 11:33 PM
You can still get a DME reflash from the dealer or an indie, it just won't be free. Maybe an indie would update your DME for free if you're having him doing other work on your car.

I assume no codes, and you reconnected the DISA connector and both VANOS solenoid connectors?

kayger12
05-17-2013, 03:57 AM
Did you maybe tighten the new flapper on too tight and now the valve won't work properly?

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

This. Or you got one of the rare Beisan bearing spacers that need to be sanded. Did you mount the vanos pistons to the head and make sure they weren't too tight before putting the vanos unit back together?

Beisan lists it in the instructions but most people don't do it (and never have an issue).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

RedTRex
05-17-2013, 09:00 AM
You can still get a DME reflash from the dealer or an indie, it just won't be free. Maybe an indie would update your DME for free if you're having him doing other work on your car.

I assume no codes, and you reconnected the DISA connector and both VANOS solenoid connectors?
No codes, all connectors connected. I do all my own work - guess I can see how much the stealer wants.

This. Or you got one of the rare Beisan bearing spacers that need to be sanded. Did you mount the vanos pistons to the head and make sure they weren't too tight before putting the vanos unit back together?

Beisan lists it in the instructions but most people don't do it (and never have an issue).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I checked freeplay as the instructions mention. I was actually afraid of not being tight enough.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA - I didn't think so because it responded as the instructions suggested, although I thought it seemed "tight". This is the item I have been wondering about the most - Might require some investigation.

E_Rak
05-20-2013, 05:47 PM
How many miles have you done since you finished the VANOS job?

JupiterBMW
05-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Hmm, it doesn't sound good. You should just sell the car.... to me. :shifty

:biggrin

Sorry I can't offer any help, I haven't done either of these jobs.

E_Rak
05-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Hmm, it doesn't sound good. You should just sell the car.... to me. :shifty

Or me... :shifty

Although I haven't done the rattle kit (no ZHP) or the disa, when I did the seals the car never felt like it had any less power than previously. The reason I asked for the mileage since the job is because the seals are supposed to take a few hundred to settle and seal with the piston walls before they perform at their peak. It does sound like the problem is elsewhere unfortunately.

Tnhl1989
05-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Check all the wires for the vanos I forgot one wire before and it was sluggish.

RedTRex
05-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Have about 300 miles since job completion. I did pull the DISA and thought it felt like it flapped fine I loosened and lubed and it seemed to help some....

I imagine if I had a bad solenoid I would get a code, but how about a weak one? Maybe seals just need a few more more miles? Just kind of weird that she comes back on cam around 5500 rpm

WOLFN8TR
05-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Dumb question but did you replace the oring on the DISA Valve with a new quality one?
DISA Orings (http://www.germanautosolutions.com/bmw_solutions/disa_products/m54_m52tu/m54_disa_o_rings/product_m54_disa_o_rings.php)
When I rebuilt my VANOS with the Beisan kit my car ran great instantly and got better within the next 50 miles.

Good Luck...

RedTRex
05-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Yes, I used the GAS o-ring that came withe the DISA kit.

Car runs better and MPG has increased. Seems like she just needs time I have been running her hard for the last 3 days and now at 1/2 throttle I do not feel the changeover at 4100. AT WOT I feel a hard change over but the lag seems to have lessened a bit.

RedTRex
08-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Well after living with the problem for a while I stopped by the local BMW dealer and asked about having SIB 12-57-06 incorporated. I was expecting 200-400 bill and loss of use for a week. Ended up pulling DME myself, dropping at dealer on Mon AM while I went out of town for the week. Picked up on way home Friday and reinstalled. Now feels like a new car - Amazing! Only had to pay shipping. Can't believe I didn't get gouged.....

E_Rak
08-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Glad you got it sorted out!