PDA

View Full Version : A "Real" QD? or a bit more than a QD?

Washburn
05-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Interesting thread about Sonax Brilliant Shine with some great testing done by a reviewer on a UK forum: (41 pages, but the 1st few pages show a great deal!!!)

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=295795

Found a free shipping (no minimum total price) deal and used it and got a bottle... :)
wonder how this will work on top of the Black Fire Crystal Seal sealant (which I am planning to use..):

Oli77
05-29-2013, 04:36 PM
I know noting about detailing.

So you put this on the car after you apply wax?

Do you just spray and walk away, or spray and towel dry?

Hermes
05-29-2013, 04:47 PM
definitely more than a quick detailer, I'll likely be buying this next time I need some

qd should only be used on a "clean" car otherwise it will just move dirt around a scratch the paint, but it is designed to be used between waxing to give a bit of added protection

Washburn
05-29-2013, 06:03 PM
a typical QD like this can be used as a 'refresher' in between washes and major detailings.
Yes, Spray, spread with a MF towel and buff off.
Normally used on paint that has already been cleaned, polished, waxed etc...

However I have seen some people's posts describing how they used this right after a polishing to REPLACE wax or sealant, which is quite impressive for something marketed as a QD...

QD = quick detailer.

Johal E32
05-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Looks promising. I think I might give it a try!

Hermes
06-03-2013, 03:30 PM
ordered one today, I'll report back

Hermes
06-05-2013, 09:35 AM
since the pic on the linked thread was a German bottle, here are the instructions on mine in English. I'll try it out this weekend

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/null-13.jpg

ryankokesh
06-13-2013, 01:08 PM
How'd it go?

Washburn
06-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Crappy Iphone pic (and used an Instagram filter to get the water beeds to stand out a bit for clarity, as it's hard to see on AW. )
This is with just ONR wash about 4 months ago, and Sonax Brilliant Shine quick detailer applied about 2 weeks ago. (NO waxing or anything done after that ONR wash 4 months ago.) - Recently just dusted it off with a California duster, and applied Sonax detailer right after that. (Terrible detailing ethics, I know - but I was so curious to see what the Sonax BSQD would do...): for just a QD, I think it did ok...

I think it would have done MUCH better if I had applied it right after the ONR wash...

Washburn
06-29-2013, 08:31 AM
Very quick spray with Auto Finesse Citrus to get mud/rain spots out, wipe, and then Sonax Brill. Shine. Done in like 10 minutes...
Not bad reflections for a WHITE car I think... ('smudge' is sensor dust)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/nishang/DSC_0147.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/nishang/media/DSC_0147.jpg.html)

Hermes
06-29-2013, 09:32 AM
How'd it go?

haven't actually tried it yet, maybe this afternoon I'll try it on the E38

danewilson77
06-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Very nice look Washy.

scooby24
06-29-2013, 03:39 PM
I've had similar results with fk 425. A month or more of beading and a reflection and slickness second to none.

Washburn
06-30-2013, 06:54 AM
Some things I would like to mention about the Sonax Brill Shine:

This 'qd' had no cleaning power whatsoever. On my white BMW, on the last occasion (reflections pic) SBS was applied AFTER a simple, but effective quick cleaning with Auto Finesse Citrus, and wiped dry, so the surface was already clean...
On the other occasion (water beading) no cleaning was done immediately prior to applying Sonax to the hood, but the car has been in the garage after an ONR wash...so it none/very little dirt on it - clean surface pretty much.

On my wife's Mazda i tried it one time on a slightly dirty/dusty surface and it made a mess - did not clean the grime/dusty areas OR bird poo - felt like I was waxing more than applying a QD - the stuff is THICK too, almost milky. I stopped immediately and used AF Citrus and water to clean it - never thought to repeat Sonax on that occasion..

My other 2 QDs i had, Poorboys'QD and Meg's Ultimate QD, BOTH are able to clean such slightly dirty surfaces and give it some shine. No cleaning with Sonax though... however, the shine and depth the Sonax gives on a clean surface seems much more impressive and durable and effective at beading water than the other 2 'normal' QDs I mentioned - So I am ok with giving a quick wipe with AF Citrus and using this to get this great result...

so yeah this looks more like a quick wax/selant type of thing now...a good one though -

however, naming it a QD is rather iffy I think, as one NORMALLY expects some cleaning ability with a QD.

Hermes
06-30-2013, 08:11 AM
^agreed, it's a good product but I'm not blown off my socks by it

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/740i/null-23.jpg