PDA

View Full Version : Vanos solenoid replacement

cparker
05-25-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm getting an "intake actuator circuit open" fault code and the car has markedly reduced performance. I pulled resistance across the exhaust vanos solenoid and it's 12.2ohms, the intake solenoid is 11.7ohms. The slightly reduced resistance across the intake solenoid could indicate damage to the varnish in the coil... but it's not as marked of a difference as I was expecting.

I'm going to try and actuate the solenoid with a 12v power supply to see if it's functioning properly. The plug seems fine. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

cparker
06-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Must not be a common issue?

danewilson77
06-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Not common at all. Sorry I can't help my friend.

cparker
06-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Well, just in case someone down the road is in my same shoes I'm going to post up what I'm finding. I pulled the fuse (#30) and it looks good. I found 12V to ground at the hot pins at both plugs (exhaust and intake solenoids). Both solenoids are fed by one single fuse, but they are switched independently by the DME. It's important to remember that the DME is switching to ground via a transistor, so don't be confused by seeing 12V at the solenoid plug when in it's normal state. The transistor shorts to ground which completes the circuit and allows current flow. I also found good continuity between the solenoid plugs and pins 40 (intake) and 41 (exhaust) at the DME.

I'm confused by all this. I show proper voltage at the solenoid plug, continuity to the DME, and similar DC resistance across both solenoids. I ordered a solenoid to try anyways, but it could also be the transistor in the DME... I hope that's not it.

I'll post up another update when the solenoid is here and I've installed it.

cparker
06-20-2013, 03:40 AM
Replacement of the solenoid took care of the code.

danewilson77
06-20-2013, 03:52 AM
Good deal. Thanks for update.

Didn't see actual code. Can you edit above to include?

HTC DNA ON TT4 BETA, WILLIAMSBURG, VA