05-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Can't wait. More Imola goodness on the way. Bring it on, Bill

danewilson77
05-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Congrats Bill.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

BavarianZHP
05-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Sounds like a huge score Bill! Those pics need to be posted soon!

JupiterBMW
05-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Wow, sounds like a beautiful pickup Bill, congrats. Would love to see some pics...

illirep
05-28-2013, 07:23 AM
Some initial exterior pic's posted. She cleans up well!

danewilson77
05-28-2013, 07:24 AM
DINAN.....nice.

JupiterBMW
05-28-2013, 08:42 AM
DINAN.....nice.

+1 on this. Sooo, plans for the Dinan floormats and strut bar?? :biggrin

jgt_zhp
05-28-2013, 09:10 AM
WOW, she's a beaut.

I've seen a sister Dinan Imola sedan around here a couple times. Thats actually what piqued my interest in acquiring a ZHP.

Subscribed for updates on what you've got in mind for the future of this awesome find

Avetiso
05-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Gorgeous vehicle.

illirep
05-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Gorgeous vehicle.

The Honda Odyssey in the background? j/k

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

derbo
05-28-2013, 10:32 AM
That is one clean IR!!! Congrats and looking forward to watch you build it. I say leave the Dinan bits on it and sell the OEM perf stuff.

illirep
05-28-2013, 10:38 AM
That will likely be the case here. I just think the OEM parts are much better eye candy in the engine bay!

And the OEM intake is perhaps a bit safer? Does anyone know if the Dinan intake is a risky upgrade with the air inlet pipe being routed down to brake cooling duct? I've heard horror stories in my Honda days when people installed the AEM cold air intake (as opposed to the AEM ram air intake) being that the pipe routs so low - people have driven through puddles and sucked in enough water to seize the engine. Is that a concern with the Dinan intake? I read that some people opt to not install the bottom pipe.

zhpnsnv
05-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooool

That is the only alternative interior to cloth that I would ever consider on a ZHP, mostly because of Brett's ZHP. Silver or black cube on that bad boy? If it's black, that would look good, but silver on that interior with imola is just ridonculous.

zhpnsnv
05-28-2013, 12:37 PM
That will likely be the case here. I just think the OEM parts are much better eye candy in the engine bay!

And the OEM intake is perhaps a bit safer? Does anyone know if the Dinan intake is a risky upgrade with the air inlet pipe being routed down to brake cooling duct? I've heard horror stories in my Honda days when people installed the AEM cold air intake (as opposed to the AEM ram air intake) being that the pipe routs so low - people have driven through puddles and sucked in enough water to seize the engine. Is that a concern with the Dinan intake? I read that some people opt to not install the bottom pipe.

I don't know about the safety of Dinan, but I will share this experience: on my Cooper S, I had the JCW intake, which is commensurate with the BMWP intake. I changed it out when I went with the Dinan kit, and it was much more cheaply made. The people who I track-prepped my Cooper S wondered why I would ever take off the JCW unit. I eventually went back to the JCW. Also, I had two Dinan exhausts on that car because the "DINAN" lettering on the tips constantly rusted. I was assured that it wouldn't happen to the second exhaust, but it did. No idea if that is an issue on BMWs or if they cheaped out on MINI products, but I'm not too keen on Dinan after that.

danewilson77
05-28-2013, 01:11 PM
I don't know about the safety of Dinan, but I will share this experience: on my Cooper S, I had the JCW intake, which is commensurate with the BMWP intake. I changed it out when I went with the Dinan kit, and it was much more cheaply made. The people who I track-prepped my Cooper S wondered why I would ever take off the JCW unit. I eventually went back to the JCW. Also, I had two Dinan exhausts on that car because the "DINAN" lettering on the tips constantly rusted. I was assured that it wouldn't happen to the second exhaust, but it did. No idea if that is an issue on BMWs or if they cheaped out on MINI products, but I'm not too keen on Dinan after that.

It wasn't rust Mark!

It was patina :rofl

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

zhpnsnv
05-28-2013, 01:15 PM
hahahahaha. You can imagine my shock when I shelled out all of that Dinan Dinero only to find the freaking things rusted. Needless to say, the Dinan castle of sand in my mind came crashing down for good, usurped by a tide of rust and broken promises.

But for people who love Dinan - awesome! I'm sure you haven't dealt with rusty tips, which is a problem on so many levels.

Hornung418
05-28-2013, 03:10 PM
No risk of hydolock unless you have a serious habit of fording rivers.

From a GS3, this was sent.

JupiterBMW
05-28-2013, 06:01 PM
hahahahaha. You can imagine my shock when I shelled out all of that Dinan Dinero only to find the freaking things rusted. Needless to say, the Dinan castle of sand in my mind came crashing down for good, usurped by a tide of rust and broken promises.

But for people who love Dinan - awesome! I'm sure you haven't dealt with rusty tips, which is a problem on so many levels.

Yep, I love it. :) If the tips rust though, I'll for sure be heading back to the dealer. Although, in Florida, we typically don't get a lot of rust...

No risk of hydolock unless you have a serious habit of fording rivers.

From a GS3, this was sent.

Agreed... The little hose to the brake duct won't be an issue. Besides, its not the ONLY intake, so if it were submerged, the air will just get sucked in from the OEM scoop. Remember the AEM bypass valve? Same idea here...

imola red zhp
05-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Welcome nice ride

sent from my Personal Electronic Device

danewilson77
05-30-2013, 06:41 AM
Great work Bill. Thanks for info.

HTC DNA ON TT4 BETA, WILLIAMSBURG, VA

Pip
05-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Nice. I did mine sometime in the past and it made a big difference in appearance.

jgt_zhp
05-30-2013, 07:05 AM
Looks nice. I've been slathering Bimmian 'Black Wow' all over mine, to forestall the inevitable.

illirep
05-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Thanks - also should note that I did not remove the cabin filter case as in the DIY - not sure what that step was for - perhaps a necessary step if replacing the washers?

Tnhl1989
05-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Wow that car is amazing. Congrats on the purchase. Too bad I'm not interested in the dinan setup. Good luck on that heated seat retrofit. At the same time try to get the lumbar retrofit in it as well at the same time.

ELCID86
05-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Nice car. Congrats.

Shawn in VA.
Via thumbs and Tapatalk.

BavarianZHP
05-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Gorgeous, gorgeous car. It's really funny how my tastes change over the years. At first I could never ever picture myself owning an white or red BMW. Nat brown was also my least favorite interior... Fast forward to today and they've almost become my favorites (I will forever be loyal to silber grau and alcantara!). I feel that Imola red and Alpine white are enthusiasts' tastes just like phoenix yellow and other individual colors that the majority of society dislikes. Same goes with the alcantara interior... A lot of my know-nothing-about-cars friends can't believe I bought a BMW without leather!

danewilson77
05-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Eventually, everyone wants/needs/desires Imola.

Stigissimo
05-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Wow Bill - That's super clean. Love it.

Aaaaaand subscribed.

johnrando
05-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Eventually, everyone wants/needs/desires Imola.

ahem. :foottap :)

danewilson77
05-30-2013, 04:19 PM

Hehe....was waiting for that. Job done.

alexandre
05-30-2013, 04:21 PM

Weren't you booked for an Imola respray a few months back ? How come it didn't work out ?

:)

brettbimmer
05-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Beautiful ZHP Bill. I hope that she brings you many happy miles and maybe a few smiles. Personally, I'm a sucker for that color combo too! :cheers

bake
05-31-2013, 06:46 AM
Nice find Bill!

johnrando
05-31-2013, 07:48 AM
Weren't you booked for an Imola respray a few months back ? How come it didn't work out ?

Yeah, but Dane convinced me NOT to do Imola. He said Jet Black was better. :biggrin

Hehe....was waiting for that. Job done.

I fig'd that... didn't want to let you down.

illirep
07-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Bump, maintenance log finally added. Lot's of mods and aesthetic updates performed!

yura
07-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Wow, amazing car!

illirep
07-02-2013, 11:01 AM
thank you

ELCID86
07-10-2013, 08:46 AM
So, I saw a new post on e46f. Going to post here also??

BavarianZHP
07-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Man you go through them fast! Good luck on the sale Bill, that's one meticulous car! Can I rightly assume you're now searching for your AW?

illirep
07-10-2013, 11:58 AM
So, I saw a new post on e46f. Going to post here also??

Shawn - I wasn't planning on listing it here - I value my membership here and the classifieds can get ugly. I'm obviously willing to work with a mafia member and offered preferred pricing however.
Bill

illirep
07-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Man you go through them fast! Good luck on the sale Bill, that's one meticulous car! Can I rightly assume you're now searching for your AW?

I try to buy the cream of the crop, make them even better, get bored and/or find a great deal, move on to the next. It's a hobby that sort of pays for itself. I'm just about at break-even long-term. If I didn't have to pay sales tax each time, I'd be rich!

I've been on the hunt for a manual A/W for years. Not holding my breath. Even considered having this car re-sprayed, but that would cost $6k or more, and destroy the value of the car at the same time - double whammy!

cakM3
07-11-2013, 04:51 AM
... I've been on the hunt for a manual A/W for years. Not holding my breath...

Bill... here's your chance to get that elusive A/W with NB interior!

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?10416-Joop-s-ZHP-For-Sale-03-Alpine-White-Natural-Brown-6MT-Sedan (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?10416-Joop-s-ZHP-For-Sale-03-Alpine-White-Natural-Brown-6MT-Sedan)

illirep
07-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Thanks Charlie - I saw that, but a little out of my comfort zone.

cakM3
07-11-2013, 06:12 AM

illirep
08-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Never officially closed this thread down. This car was sold to an auto enthusiast a few weeks ago, who raced cars growing up. This is first BMW, and he is loving it. I'm not sure if he has joined here yet, but he mentioned that he was going to.

johnrando
08-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Would you like me to officially close the thread to comments?

danewilson77
08-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Just update it as SOLD.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

illirep
08-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Doesn't matter to me whether open or closed. Thanks guys.