Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Anyone come from an E36 M3?

Hey everyone,

I'm doing some research for my next car purchase. I've considered everything from a 06-07 WRX to a 350Z and am really leaning towards a ZHP and it's solid balance of performance, style and practicality I want in a DD.

I had an E36 M3 and loved everything about it (well, except for the fact that it left me stranded 3 times).

I spent close to $3k in maintenance and did the work myself with the help of friends and had a solid performing and maintained car that I could have driven for a long time very happily, had one of my rear tires not blown and made my car lose control and slide underneath a semi at 40mph

My question is has anyone here had an E36 M3 in the past? If so, how does it compare to the ZHP? My schedule is a bit hectic right now, otherwise I'd find one locally to test drive and gauge it or myself.

Captain, welcome to the site. I know that several members here came from an E36 M3. I am sure they will chime in.

Thanks for introducing yourself.

I've had 3 E36 M3's... two of them were bone stock. Stock for stock, the ZHP is very similar in performance but in a considerably more refined package and IMO, the ZHP looks better.

For me, it was between an E36 M3 and the ZHP. I got the ZHP because I didn't want to deal with any more issues of an "older" car. Going from an E30 with the same engine as the M3 wouldn't have been much of an upgrade because the M3 didn't provide enough "toys" to make the switch worthwhile. Plus, I don't think the E36 M3 looks nearly as good as the ZHP does.

Major deciding factors for me were:
    * Looks
    * Toys (rain sensing wipers, 4-doors with split fold rear seats, etc.)
    * Better fuel mileage
    * More comfortable for daily driving
    * Not everyone and their mother has a ZHP compared to how many have an E36 M3
    * Much less quirks being a newer car. OCD prevails...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

ex E36 M3

Me too. I owned a stock '95 M3 for a couple of years. Loved it. I'd have to agree ... its very similar to the ZHP, though I'd make a few distinctions: the power curve on the ZHP feels broader, more usable; the E36 felt a tad nose-heavy in comparison; the ZHP's ride is more comfortable - still firm and controlled though. If you enjoyed the E36 then you;ll certainly enjoy the ZHP.

I, too, owned a '95 M3. Comparatively speaking, and assuming street application, the ZHP is a much better daily car. While the performance is about the same as the E36 M3, the ZHP is more refined in almost every aspect. Fit and finish is better, NVH is much better, body fasteners and door gaskets are much improved, front underpan design is much easier to work with, and let's not forget changing microfilters (ever done that on an E36?). Overall, the E-46 (ZHP included) is simply the design evolution of the E36. I'ver never looked back. My E36 had but 38k miles when I sold it to a close friend. Sadly, it was totaled last month in a multi vehicle fender bender in Naples, FL.

What year was your M3? The ZHP engine feels somewhere between the 95 S50 and the 96+ S52. It doesn't quite have the pull up top like the S50 and not quite the low end grunt of the S52.

I am a Ex E36 M owner as well, mine was a 98 sedan 5spd. I agree with everything stated so far, I find that the S52 and M54 have a very similar feel and sound, I agree with Mike that the S52 had a little more low end grunt than the M54. After owning 2 e46s, I can tell you the e46 is much more refined, and the interior is more modern and better built. The e36 was a little more raw and driver involved, but that was due to less sound insulation and technology. I have driven an e30 m3, and it's the same thing, more raw and involved than the e36.

I haven't owned an E36 M or a ZHP but, going from a '95 325is to an '02 325Ci is a similar comparison. The e36 was a little more raw and less refined than the e46. My '02 is smoother and quieter but still just as responsive and nimble. I will always have a soft spot for an E36 but, the E46 is a great car.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
    What year was your M3? The ZHP engine feels somewhere between the 95 S50 and the 96+ S52. It doesn't quite have the pull up top like the S50 and not quite the low end grunt of the S52.
    99 Estoril Coupe.

When you say it didn't pull up top like an S50 or have the down low torque of the S52 it kind of makes it seem like the car lacks power in both those areas. I'm sure that's not what you meant though, right? (crosses fingers) I enjoyed the down low torque of the S52.

I didn't find it too raw honestly, I thought it was a great driver focused car. It wasn't as quiet or smooth as a 5 series, but that was the point of buying an M3 to start with. With the next car I'd like something refined for the day to day commute, as long as it's still involving and can keep the enthusiast part of me happy.

I wish I had time to go drive a ZHP right now and see how it feels!

One more thing, how are the seats? I LOVED the feel of my vader seats in the M3.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast