Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Thread: Burning Clutch

Burning Clutch

So after my drive back from Texas, I couldn't help but pull into a parking lot by my house and perform a burnout.

I turned the traction control off, it was raining so I figured I wouldn't burn a whole lot of rubber off the tires. I thought I had let the clutch out, but after 5-6 seconds or so, this horrible smell fills the air.

At first, I thought it was just the burnt rubber smell, but after getting the car back in my garage and sitting for a while, the odor lingered. It wasn't just burnt tire smell.

I looked online a bit, and all the fingers seem to point at burning the clutch up. Does this sound accurate? I am a bit nervous, the smell is now gone but I am worried in my ability to properly perform a burnout and concerned about my clutch.

Help.

I had an issue with my '95 325is where I would bring up the rpms for a burnout and all that would spin would be my clutch. Even after I changed my clutch, the problem persisted. I'm afraid to try burnouts with my new car. I don't want to risk yanking my sub frame out of it's place.

Did you get any tire spin at all?
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Are you sure your clutch is slipping? Perhaps the smell just lingered. Check it tomorrow morning.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I took the car out for a drive last night and there didn't seem to be a nasty smell hovering around the car. I think I am a little paranoid now though. While I was sniffing around the engine after the drive I couldn't remember what a normal hot engine should smell like since I am nervous. However, there is no horrible smell completely filling the garage like it did before.

The wheels did spin for about 15-20 feet before I disengaged the clutch and got the car out of 1st gear.