Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

better/different/beefier shift knobs for STEP?

Wasn't sure where this would belong...

I know that we lame auto people don't touch the shift knob much at all BUT with me seeing all those posts about ZHP shift knobs and what not for manual cars, I was wondering, given that the ZHP auto knob is nothing special at all, if there exists a better looking shift knob for Auto transmissions on our cars...
    The OEM leather is going to fade at some point, and I'd like something a bit "beefier" I think

Would like some feedback on this...
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

I would check...

Www.bimmian.com
    Www.jlevisw.com
    Www.bavauto.com

Droid! Srs Legitness!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks, Dane
    Bimmian has this one - it's ALL CF and a bit too shiny and I am afraid if it will look off..(.I have black cube and alcantara interior)

The other 2 places don't have anything for Auto.

Then I found this one - it's OEM BMW performance part but I can't find it on BMW web sites ???
    it does have a chrome part BUT a guy who has black cube had installed it and it doesn't look off....what do you think? will the chrome part look out of place in my car?: I think the guy's pic overexposed the MATT chrome part

the stock BMW photo also shows it with black trim, so perhaps it's not bad ... and the chrome part doesn't look that shiny at all....

here's the post where the guy installed it - everyone liked it:
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=748174
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

I tend to stay away from the metal knobs, since they heat up like a mofo when you leave the car in the sun for a while. They look good, though. But I simply tend to stay away from them.

About the metal being hot/cold - I was thinking...IF I got that performance knob, I'd try to wrap the metal/silver part in black CF (CF-like) vinyl ... don't know how hard it is though...but I think, at least in my mind's eye, that knob, black leather with the middle part in CF (instead of silver) would look sick, while being not (so) hot....

yeah, so imagine this with that metal/silver part being black CF....hmm? hmm?

That would look good. You want me to send you some free CF wrap?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    About the metal being hot/cold - I was thinking...IF I got that performance knob, I'd try to wrap the metal/silver part in black CF (CF-like) vinyl ... don't know how hard it is though...but I think, at least in my mind's eye, that knob, black leather with the middle part in CF (instead of silver) would look sick, while being not (so) hot....

yeah, so imagine this with that metal/silver part being black CF....hmm? hmm?

That would look good, Wash.

DANE: Aw. I feel bad getting free stuff - I don't have anything to give you, so will you accept shipping costs? and YES I would like it, if it's the self adhesive kind
    PM'd

Marcus: I think so, too...now to find one of those shift knobs (might be able to get one off of a guy at E46F) without wife killing me

You'll just have to deal with feeling bad then......

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post

Ya know, as awesome as that looks, consider the non metal part. It is still a wear item; that will wear over time as well. Heck, depends on just how much you manhandle that shift knob, the metal will eventually start to show wear spots as well (less shiny-ness and eventually will become a matte finish like a computer mouse you've used for YEARS).

In the end, I wouldn't worry about how well it will wear. I think you should get this one as it is and leave it; it would look a lot hotter as-is, IMO.
    I also wouldn't worry about the temperature of the knob that much.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast