Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Amazon Link for ZHPMafia ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

E30 Coolant Problems

So I know this isn't ZHP related, but I was driving home last night in my E30 and the coolant light came on. I have a slow leak somewhere so periodically the light comes on and I have to top off the coolant.

Well when I got home, the recovery reservoir was about dry and there was a large leak somewhere. I could hear a little hiss in the middle of the engine so it sounds like I have a faulty coolant hose somewhere.

Looks like I have a project to work on next week.

Look under your throttle body where the two coolant hoses go and see if the leak is from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Look under your throttle body where the two coolant hoses go and see if the leak is from there.
    For some reason....I didn't even have to look to know you answered.

Droid! Srs Legitness!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

You might the tool to pressurize the system and shine ultraviolet light to detect the leak. Keep us posted. Hopefully it is not a head gasket issue.

RE:

Quote Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
    You might the tool to pressurize the system and shine ultraviolet light to detect the leak. Keep us posted. Hopefully it is not a head gasket issue.
    Yea, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is just a loose hose clamp or bad pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    For some reason....I didn't even have to look to know you answered.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Quote Originally Posted by quikryptonite View Post
    Yea, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is just a loose hose clamp or bad pipe.
    Have you looked where I suggested to look yet?

Not yet

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post

Have you looked where I suggested to look yet?
    When I got home last night it was dark, so I was trying to see what I could with a flashlight. There was steam coming from the engine block and I could see some coolant dripping from the bottom of the engine.

I am hoping to get the car up on jackstands next week and be able to snoop around thoroughly.

The reason I ask this specifically is because those two lines go to the throttle body cooling piece, that gasket will eventually go, very common for this to happen. Easy bypass trick if this is your problem as its not a necessarypart. You should be able to just reach under and feel if it wet.

It was the throttle body plate and gasket. She is now good to go, at least for a while. My mechanic said that if my car wasn't so popular they wouldn't even be making OEM parts for a 25 year old car. People with other kinds of cars are just out of luck when parts like this break on theirs, or have to comb the junkyards. They should've bought a Bimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by quikryptonite View Post
    It was the throttle body plate and gasket. She is now good to go, at least for a while. My mechanic said that if my car wasn't so popular they wouldn't even be making OEM parts for a 25 year old car. People with other kinds of cars are just out of luck when parts like this break on theirs, or have to comb the junkyards. They should've bought a Bimmer.
    Glad to hear you got it fixed. Glad to heear I was right also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast