Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Factory finned differential cover

Likely has been noted somewhere, but didn't find upon searching... I've noticed several otherwise stock in appearance ZHPs on the road with finned rear differential covers. Suspect that this is likely not a common upgrade as I never noted such an option on any of the ZHPs I looked at when searching. After mentioning this to a buddy, he reviewed the parts catalog - appears that cars equipped with automatics came with a different differential cover...has anyone noticed this difference?

Is it for cosmetic purposes? Otherwise, I don't really think our non-LSD diffs need any other additional cooling. As soon as you put on an LSD, then yes, a finned diff cover is a necessity.

*EDIT:
    Tisher (getBMWParts.com) has this listed at about $120.

Product Details:

BMW OEM e46 finned rear differential cover. This will fit the e46 3 Series models and helps provide cooling to diff allowing limited slip clutch packages to remain cooler and more effect. Helps to prolong the life of the differential overall including expensive internal bearings. As a bonus, it is a nice dress-up part for the under side of your e46 3 Series!

Part number: 33 11 7 512 980

Here is Turner motorsports:
    http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-10...ial-cover.aspx

Also here are some install notes about it. Looks to be a decent amount of work due to dropping the diff.....
    http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=674247

Image below is an e46fanatics image, so you'll need to have an account to see it.

I really have no idea what I am doing

I've noticed this. My dad's 2004 ZHP is an automatic and has a finned diff. cover, my 2005 manual does not. I presume it is because the automatic's generate more heat.

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

How does an auto generate more heat than a manual? That doesn't make sense? I mean, if I have a 3.06 manual diff and you have a 3.06 auto diff what exactly is the difference? We should be able to swap diffs all day long.

Is it because on an auto, you are constantly putting torsional stress on the diff? Like when you are at a stop or not moving but still in gear? Hmm this may be it, I mean, if I am on my brakes at a light then I am only really trying to keep the diff from spinning, right? That means the tranny and driveshaft are consistently trying to move the diff even though my brakes are saying NO

KC ZHP... where is your intro thread? I think I know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrogs_M3 View Post
    How does an auto generate more heat than a manual? That doesn't make sense? I mean, if I have a 3.06 manual diff and you have a 3.06 auto diff what exactly is the difference? We should be able to swap diffs all day long.

Is it because on an auto, you are constantly putting torsional stress on the diff? Like when you are at a stop or not moving but still in gear? Hmm this may be it, I mean, if I am on my brakes at a light then I am only really trying to keep the diff from spinning, right? That means the tranny and driveshaft are consistently trying to move the diff even though my brakes are saying NO
    Honestly, I have no idea, I was simply guessing . I figure there must be some logical reason; the one you mentioned would put more stress on the diff, but not enough in itself to require a finned diff cover I presume.

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

I like the way it looks. I think I may purchase that bad boy.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I like the way it looks. I think I may purchase that bad boy.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    M swap for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    M swap for you.
    Too much $$$.........and not enough go.......
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    M swap for you.
    ^^^^^ Needs more upvotes!! LOL M3 rear swap is the way to go! Components can be had for well under $1K. All parts drop out (330) and back in (M3) without issues. Although, if you have an Auto you have to get a new driveshaft. Otherwise, SMG and Manual driveshafts are fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast