Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 54

Thread: Richie Rich's ZHP build thread

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    17,802
    Awesome shop and updates. Love how you pulled the birthday card for what YOU wanted to do.

    Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"


    ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Awesome update, and that's a helluva shop you have access to.... wow.

    Could the stumble / hesitation be from VANOS? From Beisan Systems (link):

    "What are the symptoms of a failing vanos?
    Overall loss of torque and power, particularly in the lower RPM range, < 3k. Bogging then surging at 3k RPM. Uneven power distribution and RPM transition. Engine hesitations in the lower RPM range, < 3k. Louder idle and intermittent idle RPM hiccups. Difficult takeoffs. Loss of power and bogging when AC on. Increased fuel consumption."

    Got any more photos of that prerunner?
    I must say, I am pretty fortunate to have access to our shop. We use to be a full on service and repair shop in Escondido but my boss sold that company a few years ago to focus on manufacturing tools. He had 2 in ground lifts installed for when we do R&D, video instructions and for our personal cars. He's a tool nut so we have access to ALL types of tools.

    So my "stumble/bog" issue is resolved after getting the DME updated. What's weird is, the shop foreman (who we are really good friends with) told me that the DME might crash, and if it does, they won't cover it. I took the gamble anyways and it worked out. I am still going to address the vanos since it's probably due for it anyways at 107k miles. I have yet to go through a fillup as the previous owner handed me the car with a full tank, but I will take note of gas milage.

    Here is a few shots and a quick video we did with the prerunner:






    Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    That is one sweet shop and truck! Also nice front sway bar, Hotchkis being hollow saves weight over the solid options
    Thanks, pretty fun vehicle to drive haha. I am going to get a match rear sway bar now.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Awesome shop and updates. Love how you pulled the birthday card for what YOU wanted to do.

    Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    She was happy, but not all at the same time

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    9,895
    +1 to what everyone is saying - very cool shop, I am thoroughly envious.

    Glad you fixed your stumble - at what RPMs did it usually occur? And was it at wide open throttle or...?

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    +1 to what everyone is saying - very cool shop, I am thoroughly envious.

    Glad you fixed your stumble - at what RPMs did it usually occur? And was it at wide open throttle or...?
    Thanks! Once things start to clear up, I think I will propose a SoCal ZHP meet up at the shop.

    The stumble issue happens around 2.5k rpm till about 3k. After that, it was good. It happened whether it was partial throttle or wide open (wide open was more noticeable). I will be addressing the vanos next as it's due. I reached out to the previous owner to confirm and he said he has not done it yet.

    Side note: Is there a physical difference betwen the ZKW and AL headlights? I am getting ready to install my angel eyes/halos and noticed that my headlight covers have ZKW on the passenger side and AL on the driver side. I didn't look to much into it, but my OCD is killing me and I need to have matching headlights. Wanted to have matching headlights before I started the angel eyes.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    17,802
    You mean outside size or the internals (where you'd put the angel eyes)?

    Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"


    ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    You mean outside size or the internals (where you'd put the angel eyes)?

    Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Honestly, every aspect. Just trying to see if I need to change the whole headlight (passenger side since it's ZKW) to AL. Or if they're all the same, get the projector from TRS and call it a day. But I don't want to get the projectors from TRS if the housing is different or the high beam reflectors are different.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRichieRich View Post
    Thanks! Once things start to clear up, I think I will propose a SoCal ZHP meet up at the shop.

    The stumble issue happens around 2.5k rpm till about 3k. After that, it was good. It happened whether it was partial throttle or wide open (wide open was more noticeable). I will be addressing the vanos next as it's due. I reached out to the previous owner to confirm and he said he has not done it yet.

    Side note: Is there a physical difference betwen the ZKW and AL headlights? I am getting ready to install my angel eyes/halos and noticed that my headlight covers have ZKW on the passenger side and AL on the driver side. I didn't look to much into it, but my OCD is killing me and I need to have matching headlights. Wanted to have matching headlights before I started the angel eyes.
    Not really. Just the bottom of the headlight. But you can just swap the mount that it sits on and they will work fine. Totally interchangeable.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRichieRich View Post
    Honestly, every aspect. Just trying to see if I need to change the whole headlight (passenger side since it's ZKW) to AL. Or if they're all the same, get the projector from TRS and call it a day. But I don't want to get the projectors from TRS if the housing is different or the high beam reflectors are different.
    oops didn't see this. Yeah the insides are different. Different projector bowls, different mounting. They use different ballasts/igniters. The bulb is the same. I'm pretty sure the high beam bowls are different as well. I remember ZKW being like plastic and AL are ceramic.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRichieRich View Post
    Thanks! Once things start to clear up, I think I will propose a SoCal ZHP meet up at the shop....
    Please do!

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    oops didn't see this. Yeah the insides are different. Different projector bowls, different mounting. They use different ballasts/igniters. The bulb is the same. I'm pretty sure the high beam bowls are different as well. I remember ZKW being like plastic and AL are ceramic.
    Is there a part # for the AL headlight brackets or do those typically come with the headlights? I ask because my car has AL on the driver side and ZKW on the passenger side. Looking for a used set of AL to replace the passenger side ZKW. From what I can see on RealOEM, bracket part #s are the same but they don't disclose the bracket fitment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Please do!
    I'll probably start a thread unless you know of a thread I should revive?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Snuffalufigus's Build/Maintanence Thread :)
    By Snuffalufigus in forum Projects
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-11-2016, 03:40 PM
  2. UdubBadger's "WEGOHAM" Build Thread
    By UdubBadger in forum Projects
    Replies: 939
    Last Post: 01-20-2016, 07:17 AM
  3. 94jedi's ZHP build/mod/maintenance thread....
    By 94jedi in forum Projects
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-27-2015, 03:11 AM
  4. al.330imola Build/Maintenance Thread
    By al.330imola in forum Projects
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 03:26 PM
  5. Richie Day's 350z.
    By C Withers Media in forum Everything Non ZHP (the place for non-ZHP photos)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 05:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •