Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sylvania Silverstar H7 - FAIL

In February 2011 at ~171,xxx miles, my passenger side headlamp went out. I figured I'd pick up some decent lights with better than average light output - so I snagged some Sylvania Silverstar H7s. The Silverstars carry similar stats as the factory bulbs... both made by OSRAM in Germany, both 12V 55W, and both H7s (of course).

I changed both the drivers and passenger side lamp so I could start with a clean reference point on both for maintenance purposes. So the install left me with the old bulb on the drivers side as a spare.

Well... late last week, my drivers side lamp went out after 4 months and ~7xxx miles of driving.

I know I use my headlights whenever I drive... but isn't 4 months and 7xxx miles a little unacceptable? I don't think my halogens on my e30 went out that frequently. Were these bulbs just not manufacturered to the same rigorous standards as the bulbs in the box with the blue and white roundel? Or is this just another case of poor quality control with aftermarket parts?

Next time I will be reaching out to the dealer to get replacement bulbs.

Anyone else have history on their bulbs?

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Silverstars are crap! I use to replace them every 3 to 4 months.
    "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

2009 Horizon Blue Mini R56 Cooper S 6spd
    2012 Pepper White Mini R56 "Justa" Cooper 6spd
    On the hunt for an e30, z3, or 318ti...

Found this on Sylvania's website:

Weibull data for lamp life

Weibull distribution has become established as the standard method for analyzing the life of technical products. Endurance tests on products without technical faults produce failure curves which represent the proportion of products that fail in the course of use. Because of their special properties, these curves can be normalized for the purposes of comparison. This involves approximating the distributions to a straight line. To show this, a special coordinate system is needed (named after Dr. E. H. Wallodi Weibull, 1887 to 1979). Service life distribution can now be accurately defined by specifying two points on the straight line, without having to refer to a failure curve.

The following failure rates have been defined as standard failure rates. The B3 life value represents the premature failure rate of lamps. It means that 3% of all the tested lamps failed after this number of hours burned. The Tc life value represents the failure rate of 63.2% of the lamps. B3 and Tc are of particular interest in industry. Another important point is the B50 value. This indicates the average life of the lamps (50%).

To show this approximation to a straight line, a special graphic matrix is needed. The failure rates are indicated as a percentage plotted against the number of hours burned. The advantage here is that the distribution of the life of, say, a headlight lamp can be uniquely defined by specifying particular failure rates

Point 1: The B3 life value means that 3% of the tested lamps failed after this number of hours burned.

Point 2: The B10 life value means that 10% of the tested lamps failed after this number of hours burned.

Point 3: The B50 life value indicates the average life of the lamps. The failure rate is 50%.

Point 4: The Tc life value represents the characteristic failure rate of 63.2% of the lamps.

Rule of thumb:

5% overvoltage ->

•Half the life

•15% higher luminous flux

•8% higher power consumption

•3% higher current
    5% undervoltage ->
    •Twice the life

•15% lower luminous flux

•8% lower power consumption

•3% lower current

All life data presented in this catalog are given as B50 @ 14.0 volts for halogen products and @ bulb rated voltage for all others unless noted.
    In an attempt to use this data constructively, I drive about 4 hours a day and run my headlights all the time I'm moving (except for this past weekend). Figuring I drive the carpool and other times at least three times a week, that puts me at 12 hours/week. Since they failed after sixteen weeks or four months, that means put 200 hours on the bulbs and I just so happened to received one of the B3 bulbs... 3% of all of the bulbs tested that fail after 200 hours of use.

What kind of luck is that?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
    Silverstars are crap! I use to replace them every 3 to 4 months.
    Good data Mikey. Looks like you got some crappy bulbs too. What do you use/where do you get them?

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

I thought the SS's came with a warranty?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

i've tried SilverStars in the past and didn't like the results either; however, I haven't had any fail on me.

I recently researched my options for H7 bulbs and ended up with the Osram Rallye 65w bulbs as recommended by many lighting enthusiasts (yes, such a thing exists). I've only had them in the car for a few days, but so far I'm very impressed with the results. In fact, I'll be ordering another set as spares and will be replacing the bulbs in our '02 Jetta with a set as well.
    - now with 5 speeds

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I thought the SS's came with a warranty?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Good call Dane. Nothing on the package... but I found Sylvania's SilverStar customer satisfaction information on their website and sent them an email.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...tisfaction.htm

I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post
    i've tried SilverStars in the past and didn't like the results either; however, I haven't had any fail on me.

I recently researched my options for H7 bulbs and ended up with the Osram Rallye 65w bulbs as recommended by many lighting enthusiasts (yes, such a thing exists). I've only had them in the car for a few days, but so far I'm very impressed with the results. In fact, I'll be ordering another set as spares and will be replacing the bulbs in our '02 Jetta with a set as well.
    Nice recommendation!

Found candlepower.com... they are an internet retailer based near my work in Rockville, MD. Headed over there now to pick up Rallyes.

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

Picked up Rallyes.

Box says offroad use only. Are they that bright?

i installed them and drove around for some testing. while bright, i didn't notice any glare and nobody complained.
    the projection appears to be down the road and off to the sides (as you'd want)....

from what i can tell, they are really well engineered. i also installed new lenses.......

i posted a reply to my headlight thread here on 'mafia. i can dig up the link if you'd like to read about that.
    - now with 5 speeds

oh, and, yes, that's exactly where i ordered my set as well. very well respected retailer....
    - now with 5 speeds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast