Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

View Poll Results: What Should Keith Do With $1,000 ZHP Dollars?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do the safe thing and purchase a set of winter wheel/tires to ensure maximum traction this winter

16 80.00%
  • Man up, run summers year round, embrace the challenge, and mod with the $1K

4 20.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question Help From My Mafia Brothers

Ok gents. I've been looking at winter tire/wheel packages and am having a real problem spending $1,000+ on another set of tires when I could be putting that money towards other mods.

So what would the opinion of the familia be? Play it safe, or further develop my car control skills by running UHP Summers in the winter?
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

i had/have Michelin pilot sport all season plus's on my car. We had massive snow in asheville last year. they did great as long as it was 4 inches or less. honestly, above that the ZHP turns into a plow anyway. Im sure it would be better with dedicated winter tires, but i was really impressed with how well the car did. Everything i read said the zhp was terrible in the snow. it was the first winter for me and the zhp, and it did as well or better than the front wheel drive 2007 accord did. i just left the traction control on, and she went along great. just my 2 cents.
    David

oh, and i forgot to say, they performed great all seasons. summer was great grip and low highway noise. I just switched to continental extreme contact DWS, as the mich's are done on the rears. I hope they do as well. so far, they do well in 2-3 inches, which is all we have had this year.
    Last edited by Mtnman; 12-16-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: more info
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Mod away....and just drive slower in the winter....
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

You should be able to find a reasonably priced used set. I paid $400 for a nice set of wheels and tires with plenty tread left.

I'm just too conservative. I voted for tires. I lived in some serious snow in the past. Treacherous conditions at times.

If you ever have to ask whether to spend money on safety or mods, ALWAYS choose safety. The money on mods you spend won't matter if you're sliding and crashing into something.
    I'm surprised you're even asking. Driving in the winter on summer tires is downright dangerous, not only to you, but to others. To run summer tires with cold temperatures and/or snow on the ground is downright irresponsible.

Please choose safety over mods. Mods can wait; safety cannot.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I vote mods. But mainly its really hard for me to imagine needing an extra set of tires. It snows here like once every several years so I can't wrap my mind around it. Mods, now that's something I get.

You could buy cheaper winter tires, use the rest on goodies and call them all mods!

but yeah, you should do the safer thing...
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH
    My car finds your lack of faith disturbing

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    If you ever have to ask whether to spend money on safety or mods, ALWAYS choose safety. The money on mods you spend won't matter if you're sliding and crashing into something.
    I'm surprised you're even asking. Driving in the winter on summer tires is downright dangerous, not only to you, but to others. To run summer tires with cold temperatures and/or snow on the ground is downright irresponsible.

Please choose safety over mods. Mods can wait; safety cannot.
    You know, Botond, one of the things that I really appreciate about you is your straight-to-the-point, I-don't-beat-around-the-bush approach to posts

All my vehicles up until my 325 had A/S on them. The 325 had summers on them and when I got to the first winter, I did some research and got the usual mixed results: One group saying basically what you're saying-- it's really dangerous-- and one group saying, yeah- the traction is reduced but it's not like you're driving on a skating rink (provided you don't drive in the snow).

So I drove on them when the temps dropped to see how they were. There was less traction, so I adjusted my driving accordingly-- the same as I would do if I were driving in the rain, snow, or any other condition that affects vehicle dynamics.

At no time were the tires so lacking in traction that the car was difficult or challenging to control. Less traction, yes, but sufficient traction to safely operate the vehicle.

I'm not saying that this is true of all summer tires, but in the case of the Ventus v12s, they were not bad or even marginal. They were fine.

So that's why I was asking. To see what the opinions were with respect to just how necessary winter tires really are, and if people have experienced anything to make them believe that it is truly dangerous to operate in low temps on summers.

If it's truly a danger/safety issue, then I would/will not drive on them. I'm the last one you need to worry about taking my own or other people's safety lightly, or who needs a speech on the importance of safety-- I've dealt with enough mangled cars (and bodies for that matter) to know that I don't want to take unnecessary risks... which is why I appreciate your strong opinion on the topic.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I understand the fact that the car can still be driven in the snow, but the second you go to make an evasive maneuver or try to stop quickly, you'll be regretting your decision for the rest of your ownership and potentially your life. That is literally like riding a motorcycle; you can in theory ride your entire life without crashing, but all it takes is one little slip up and you could be paying for it be it materially or with your life.
    It just isn't worth the risk, regardless of how in control you may feel. That $500 or so worth of snow tires is the difference between potentially evading an accident or a sum much higher than that in repair bills.

I'm just trying to look out for you Keith. I'm glad you understand and still do not believe there is a choice here.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I understand the fact that the car can still be driven in the snow, but the second you go to make an evasive maneuver or try to stop quickly, you'll be regretting your decision for the rest of your ownership and potentially your life. That is literally like riding a motorcycle; you can in theory ride your entire life without crashing, but all it takes is one little slip up and you could be paying for it be it materially or with your life.
    It just isn't worth the risk, regardless of how in control you may feel. That $500 or so worth of snow tires is the difference between potentially evading an accident or a sum much higher than that in repair bills.

I'm just trying to look out for you Keith. I'm glad you understand and still do not believe there is a choice here.
    Gotcha, bro. I appreciate it.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast